• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45 LongColt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    Indiana
    Ok, I decided to buy a new rifle from a well known gun shop. I walked in found the rifle I wanted and went to the checkout guy. He added everything up, told me how much, I paid him and he said "thank you sir" and walked away. No 4473 to fill out or anything. Did they change the laws? I thought you had to fill out a 4473 on ANY firearm.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Must be.
    Black powder firearms are not considered firearms by the BATFE.
    They can be mailed to your front door, no 4473 needed.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    I'm thinking I'd be calling them or going back to make sure things get done correctly. Their FFL logs have to be accurate. nobody wins with this obvious mistake. :twocents:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    OP, did the store have multiple people working? It sounds like everyone behind the counter made assumptions; The clerk assumed the checkout monkey would do the paperwork, and the monkey assumed the clerk had already done the paperwork and approved you.

Definitely stop back by with the rifle the next second they are open. No sense calling them, as you will still have to go back anyway to do the actual transfer.

Now if they say "dont worry about it, its fine." A follow up call to the feds might be in order.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Not sure if this is still legal, but there was a time that I bought a rifle from a dealer that told me it was his personal firearm and not part of his store inventory. He said that is how he was able to sell it without the 4473 as it was not on his store's books.

45 LongColt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    Indiana
    OP, did the store have multiple people working? It sounds like everyone behind the counter made assumptions; The clerk assumed the checkout monkey would do the paperwork, and the monkey assumed the clerk had already done the paperwork and approved you.

Definitely stop back by with the rifle the next second they are open. No sense calling them, as you will still have to go back anyway to do the actual transfer.
    Yes, there were other people working. Going to call them Mon.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Maybe it was a personally owned firearm the owner was selling.

Have bought a personally owned firearm before at gun shows. The owner declared that it was personally owned at the beginning of the the sale. Maybe that was part of the sales pitch.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    rickyjohnson111
    Top Bottom