Field Grade Winchester M1s available for mail order through the CMP...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Now that they have sold out of the Service Grade Winchesters, they are offering Field Grade Winchester M1s at $830.

As stated before, these rifles have been in service since WWII and likely rebuilt at least once. The odds are pretty good that the only the receiver will be of Winchester manufacture and the rest of the parts will be a mix of HRA, IHC and SA parts. Many folks prefer the field grade rifles because they have the "been there/done that" look to them and chances are they will be wearing, well used, but serviceable USGI stocks.

I have had pretty good luck with Field Grade M1s; but, your mileage may vary. Be sure to read the description of Field Grade, so you know what you're getting.

M1 Garand - Civilian Marksmanship ProgramCivilian Marksmanship Program

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    One of my M1's is a Springfield field grade.
    Very low MW and TE.
    The Stock is dark and dirty, and the gas cylinder is bright and shiny with no finish left on it, but she shoots like a dream.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Just to confirm an earlier comment, from the CMP Forum this morning: "All FG's had USGI wood and I was told by armorer that ALL FG's should have USGI wood, but a few could slip by with CMP wood but that would be the exception."

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I've been thinking about ordering one of these. Wish they had a constant stock at the north store. I would rather drive over and pick out my own.

This is what I did ^^
    If this is really what you want, watch the CMP forum , people usually post about the inventory. Only problem is you have to be ready to go the next day.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    I've been thinking about ordering one of these. Wish they had a constant stock at the north store. I would rather drive over and pick out my own.

I too did this in March. I wanted a WRA M1D; but, didn't trust "luck of the draw". I saw on the forum that they hit the racks in the North Store. I made a quick weekend road trip and hand picked a beauty!

Rumor has it that the North Store is expecting a truck toward the end of the month. I would guess it might be some of these Field Grade Winchesters. Watch the North Store thread on the CMP forums and be ready for a quick run to Port Clinton.

laf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    Lafayette
    Thanks for posting about these being in. I jumped in on it and mailed my papers out on the 4th. DBU on the 7th and charged my card then too. FedEx'd on the 10th and received on the 11th. A 1,250,xxx serial with a lot of Springfield trigger parts, op rod, safety, hammer, barrel, but IHC bolt and Winchester milled trigger guard. Too bad it's limit 1 per year.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Thanks for posting about these being in. I jumped in on it and mailed my papers out on the 4th. DBU on the 7th and charged my card then too. FedEx'd on the 10th and received on the 11th. A 1,250,xxx serial with a lot of Springfield trigger parts, op rod, safety, hammer, barrel, but IHC bolt and Winchester milled trigger guard. Too bad it's limit 1 per year.

I think it is one per year per grade! So why not go ahead and order that WRA M1D. :dunno:

laf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    Lafayette
    I picked up a M1D special in 2015 at Port Clinton. Found a 5 digit Springfield, December 1940. I'm waiting until the right IHC comes around and I'll have a little bit of everything!

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    I picked up a M1D special in 2015 at Port Clinton. Found a 5 digit Springfield, December 1940. I'm waiting until the right IHC comes around and I'll have a little bit of everything!

Nice! The SG WRA M1D, that I picked up in March is serial #116xxx. That rifle would have originally been built in August of 1941. Considering that they started the serial number at 100001, that rifle would have been one of the first 16K Winchester delivered.

Mail order is okay; but, actually pouring over dozens of rifles, picking one that speaks to you specifically(...for whatever reason: low serial number, interesting stock cartouches or rebuild markings) and taking it home....there is no bigger thrill!

PedalToTheFloor

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 11, 2016
    Goshen, Indiana
    I too did this in March. I wanted a WRA M1D; but, didn't trust "luck of the draw". I saw on the forum that they hit the racks in the North Store. I made a quick weekend road trip and hand picked a beauty!

Rumor has it that the North Store is expecting a truck toward the end of the month. I would guess it might be some of these Field Grade Winchesters. Watch the North Store thread on the CMP forums and be ready for a quick run to Port Clinton.

I took a trip in June and bought a SA m1d. The North Store thread on the CMP forums said it was hit and miss, so I took a chance knowing that at least I could get an m1d if nothing else. There was nothing else of note. The IH service grades started showing up the next day :(

laf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    Lafayette
    I've got a friend with a cottage on the lake so when I visit him I always hit up the CMP. Unfortunately it doesn't take much time to browse rifles like it did a few years ago.

Top Bottom