• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pitbull88

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    West Lafayette, IN
    Have a chance to get a field grade SA garand or a service grade H&A garand. I want the springfield name, and it may have seen battle and/or WWII era. But is it worth the lower grade? Any experience with field grade and what to expect? What would you do if you were me?

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    From what I have heard, all Garands coming from the CMP right now are in really good condition no matter what. I have no experience to back up that statement, just what I've read and heard over the last year or so.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I have a field grade and my brother has a few service grades. Both function fine and are very accurate, the only difference is the finish. But the field grade can have more wear in the barrel. I suggest getting a throat erosion gauge.

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    A buddy of mine bought one of the lower grade garands from CMP it came with mis-matched wood with some dings & scratches. But it was still very useable & accurate.
    So if you are just looking for a shooter the lower grades would be good to go.
    If you are wanting an investment, collection, or a heirloom gun the higher grade would be better. Remember these guns won't be around forever when they start to run out the price will go up.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I have bought 2 FG Garands...the tiger stripe was a WWII SA, and the other that I scoped is a HRA....Both are great shooters. The SA had more wear to the park, the HRA was like mint except it had a crappy stock that dropped it to a FG. It now sports a new CMP stock. Both stocks were re finished. The ME on both is 2.0 which actually meets SG condition.......I went to N. Store to pick mine though. If Mail order and you go FG SA and want a WWII, then make a note thats what you would like, most likely they will find one for you.....good luck.
    picture.php

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    I haven't bought any field grades, but have been thinking about it. My CMP purchases were all mail order service grades and all were nice, good bores and metal. I would want to hand pick a field grade, mainly for a good barrel.

Top Bottom