• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • us_agent

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Hope this is not a dup. Just got this email last night.

According to inside sources, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell is scheming behind the scenes with Harry Reid to water down and weaken the Senate filibuster - effectively gutting it in the process.

In fact, one of the "deals" being discussed would allow ONLY party and committee leaders to filibuster and offer amendments to legislation.

This fight is expected to take place on Tuesday.

So please call Mitch McConnell IMMEDIATELY at (202) 224-2541 and demand he stop attempting to "broker deals" with Harry Reid.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

I do believe the filibuster needs to change from its current use.

Years ago the filibuster was used by a lone Senator because he was personally opposed to a bill. He didn't give a hoot about his own party, the other party, anything. He was standing on his principles (right or wrong) to show opposition to a bill he just didn't like.

Today the filibuster has become a party tool. It is a way for the minority to block a bill without having to do much at all. Just say they will filibuster and it is treated like it is.

I prefer the old Jimmy Stewart method. If a guy wants to filibuster he gets up off his butt and stands there for hours, days, however long it takes. He sweats, his feet hurt, his depends fill up, his throat gets dry and hoarse. He SUFFERS for his filibuster and it returns to a lone Senator opposing bill instead of the minority party tool.

Don't get me wrong. I am in the minority of thinking about a LOT that goes on in America but that doesn't mean I should get to hold things up. Right or wrong have the vote and may the best side win. Then move on to fighting it in another way or waiting for nature to prove you right years down the road and fix it.

Regards,

Doug

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    To All,

Years ago the filibuster was used by a lone Senator because he was personally opposed to a bill. He didn't give a hoot about his own party, the other party, anything. He was standing on his principles (right or wrong) to show opposition to a bill he just didn't like.

Today the filibuster has become a party tool. It is a way for the minority to block a bill without having to do much at all. Just say they will filibuster and it is treated like it is.

I prefer the old Jimmy Stewart method. If a guy wants to filibuster he gets up off his butt and stands there for hours, days, however long it takes. He sweats, his feet hurt, his depends fill up, his throat gets dry and hoarse. He SUFFERS for his filibuster and it returns to a lone Senator opposing bill instead of the minority party tool.

Don't get me wrong. I am in the minority of thinking about a LOT that goes on in America but that doesn't mean I should get to hold things up. Right or wrong have the vote and may the best side win. Then move on to fighting it in another way or waiting for nature to prove you right years down the road and fix it.

Regards,

Doug

This sounds like a dose of personal sacrifice is needed . . . . good luck with that concept these days!

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    To All,

You mean like the Republicans using it to defeat an AWB?

Regards,

Doug

[FONT=&quot]It is absolutely vital that you call both of your U.S. Senators at the number below and demand they vote NO on filibuster reform.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot](202) 224-3121[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Top Bottom