Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    What exaclty is the point of doing a filibuster? :dunno:

Senator Paul spoke for 13 hours but in the end like this article shows
    Senator ends filibuster of Brennan CIA nomination - Yahoo! News

just like other filibusters the senator eventually stops as my understanding is you have to continue to talk about anything (right) without stopping.

So all this really does is just stall the vote of whatever the Senate is trying to pass. However at the end of it the Senate is still going to vote right?

Has there ever been a case where a filibuster goes on long enough to stop a vote? :dunno:

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    What exaclty is the point of doing a filibuster? :dunno:

Senator Paul spoke for 13 hours but in the end like this article shows
    Senator ends filibuster of Brennan CIA nomination - Yahoo! News

just like other filibusters the senator eventually stops as my understanding is you have to continue to talk about anything (right) without stopping.

So all this really does is just stall the vote of whatever the Senate is trying to pass. However at the end of it the Senate is still going to vote right?

Has there ever been a case where a filibuster goes on long enough to stop a vote? :dunno:

In this case, the goal was to generate massive attention on the issue of domestic drone use. Google "#StandWithRand"

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    ^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^

Rand even admitted he would likely, ultimately vote to confirm Brennen.

Indeed. I can't find the sound byte or news article but he stated that he believes the President has and deserves a fair bit of discretion in choosing people to fill roles, which I think is valid.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Indeed. I can't find the sound byte or news article but he stated that he believes the President has and deserves a fair bit of discretion in choosing people to fill roles, which I think is valid.

I believe I heard him say exactly that when he was on the Glenn Beck show last week.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

So the Senate is just there to be a welcoming committee?

That's a new interpretation of the Constitution.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

As I recall, (I'm not defending him, only stating what I think I understood him to say), his position is that for temporary appointments such as presidential staff, the "advise and consent" hurdle is not as high as for nominees of lifetime appointments, i.e. SCOTUS. He was challenged by Beck and Pat on this. He believes that without a compelling reason, the president should get who he wants. One of the rationales he offered up as a defense of this position is that what "we" might view as an extreme candidate, when "our guy" is in office and defeat their nomination, the other side will return the favor when they get the opportunity...sort of a M.A.D. agreement, I'd call it.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    As I recall, (I'm not defending him, only stating what I think I understood him to say), his position is that for temporary appointments such as presidential staff, the "advise and consent" hurdle is not as high as for nominees of lifetime appointments, i.e. SCOTUS. He was challenged by Beck and Pat on this. He believes that without a compelling reason, the president should get who he wants. One of the rationales he offered up as a defense of this position is that what "we" might view as an extreme candidate, when "our guy" is in office and defeat their nomination, the other side will return the favor when they get the opportunity...sort of a M.A.D. agreement, I'd call it.

Oh, yes, the "Let's make everybody our friend" defense. Meanwhile, nobody likes us anyway and nothing we do will change that. Damn, even Rand has gone stupid.

The nominees should be considered on their merits. If one group doesn't like what the other brings to the table, that's too farking bad. That's sort of why the checks were put in there in the first place. I don't agree with Borking a nominee and denying consent simply because he affiliates with a particular party. That's as stupid as rubber stamping a nominee because POTUS should be able to have who he wants. But it kinda pisses me off that Republicans are taking the latter tack in an effort to keep the Dems from taking the former.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

The point is that according to the proper application of the Senate's role, in the end, a nominee should be confirmed so long as there is not a compelling reason not to do so. In practice, Senate Republicans generally go to the extreme of confirming anyone who is not a convicted felon or patently ineligible and Senate Democrats refuse to vote to confirm anyone who could realistically be accused of being a Republican, which is what I see as the major problem. Robert Bork should have been on the Supreme Court, and Elena Kagan, who never presided over a trial, should not, and Sonia Sotomayor, who made an open declaration about racial bias qualifying her as a justice, should not.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Thank God Bork was not on the Supreme Court. He was notoriously anti-gun.

I missed that, but then again, I was only 13 when he was nominated. My point is that he was shot down in the Senate by virtue of being perceived as a conservative with the primary stated objection being that under oath he admitted to have tried and moved away from marijuana decades prior to his nomination. It sounded to me much like confessing that he loaded his diaper when he was 2 years old, where by contrast, the Rs go to the other extreme and vote to confirm people who are clearly unqualified and/or are obvious enemies of the republic.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    The point is that according to the proper application of the Senate's role, in the end, a nominee should be confirmed so long as there is not a compelling reason not to do so. In practice, Senate Republicans generally go to the extreme of confirming anyone who is not a convicted felon or patently ineligible and Senate Democrats refuse to vote to confirm anyone who could realistically be accused of being a Republican, which is what I see as the major problem. Robert Bork should have been on the Supreme Court, and Elena Kagan, who never presided over a trial, should not, and Sonia Sotomayor, who made an open declaration about racial bias qualifying her as a justice, should not.

I don't recall reading that in the Constitution.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Oh, yes, the "Let's make everybody our friend" defense. Meanwhile, nobody likes us anyway and nothing we do will change that. Damn, even Rand has gone stupid.

The nominees should be considered on their merits. If one group doesn't like what the other brings to the table, that's too farking bad. That's sort of why the checks were put in there in the first place. I don't agree with Borking a nominee and denying consent simply because he affiliates with a particular party. That's as stupid as rubber stamping a nominee because POTUS should be able to have who he wants. But it kinda pisses me off that Republicans are taking the latter tack in an effort to keep the Dems from taking the former.

I hear ya. The democrats receive little consternation by playing that game. Anybody else is labeled extreme, draconian, a dog food-feeding, child starving, racist, nazi if they even attempt to play the same game.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I don't recall reading that in the Constitution.

That is by inference. The Constitution gives the responsibility of making such appointments to the president, therefore it is the president's prerogative. The Senate's job is to, as part of the system of checks and balances, make sure that such a choice is acceptable, not impose itself as the de facto agency of choosing the nominee, much in the same way as when a congregationally governed church elects a new pastor, there is only one candidate who has theoretically been vetted by this point and the vote is dependent on whether or not that person is suitable, not a popularity contest or a vehicle to reopen the selection process for insubstantial reasons. Again, the problem I see is that Senate confirmation fails with the Ds refusing to confirm anyone who has shown any indication of being conservative and the Rs refuse to vote against people who are clearly dangerous to the republic--out of balance in both cases.

Top Bottom