• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rtm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I have purchased a few different types of fillet knives and i have not been happy with any of them. I am looking for a recommendation for my next and hopefully last one. I want to purchase the sharpest fillet knife i can get. I carry daily a kershaw break out and it is the sharpest knife i have every had, if i could find a fillet knife similar to the blade it has i think i would be happy.:patriot:

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    What are you not happy with? Is it just the edge not being sharp or getting dull during use?

You are not going to clean 20 to 100 fish without having to touch up the edge. When I go on a fishing trip I have an old fanny sack full of knives, stones, oil, rags, ceramic sharpeners.

Sometimes a cheap knife with a Rapala sharpener is good enough but you do need to be able to achieve a sharp blade.

rtm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I have about 4 fillet knives all of which will not take an edge. Im just looking for a recommendation for a knife that will last and take an edge. I always have a sharpener with me while filleting fish, and i realize your only going to get so many fillets between touch ups

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    In my tackle box is the same Rapala fillet knife my mom and dad bought me for Christmas over 35 years ago. It has skinned at least a million blue gills. It has to be sharpened usually after each excursion but it holds an edge pretty well. It has some wear but it's still my #1 knife. I also have an electric fillet knife that works pretty well too.

copper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jun 20, 2009
    Shelby County
    I just picked up a Mora fillet knife from Ragweed Forge. After cleaning two messes of bluegill I"m pretty happy with it..Very sharp... a few strops brings the edge right back.

gunrunner0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Goshen
    I have an old J Martini filet that takes an edge great. I believe Rapala now markets J Martini filet knives, idk if they're still as good but you might look at them. I would guess the Mora would be good as well, I have a Mora fixed blade that I use on deer that my dad bought as kid 50+ years ago, and it also takes an edge nicely.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    ^^^^Titanium is great for a lot of things, but it's not known for edge retention. Who knows, maybe the guy has discovered some magical combination. Personally, I use an old Rapala knife. I sharpen it every time I take it out, and the blade is very flexible.

66chevelle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    My wife bought me a Cutco for my birthday 2 years ago and it has been the best fillet knife I have ever had. I have cleaned a lot of fish with it and it is still sharp. I did however pick up a replacement blade for it since I am headed to Minnesota for a week. The extra blade cost $15 and can be swapped out in a second. I would highly suggest this knife to anyone that wants a great fillet knife

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I currently use a Rapala Superflex. I have to touch up with the steel every 15-20 fish or so.
    31x8ULpqSWL._SS500_.jpg

I have open ears as to a better one. However, please qualify your contribution by passing along how many pounds of fish you currently have in your freezer. For me; 8# crappie fillets.

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    In my tackle box is the same Rapala fillet knife my mom and dad bought me for Christmas over 35 years ago. It has skinned at least a million blue gills. It has to be sharpened usually after each excursion but it holds an edge pretty well. It has some wear but it's still my #1 knife. I also have an electric fillet knife that works pretty well too.

:+1: I use the Rapala fillet knife that my grandfather gave me over 30 years ago. I couldn't tell you how many fish I have filleted with this knife, and its probably not even close to the number of fish my grandfather cleaned with it before he gave it to me. Nothing fancy, just an old wood handled Rapala. I use a Rapala sharpener every few fish and thats all I have ever done to it.

rtm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    i have a case xx that thing is a razor,sharpens very easy ,very thin flexible blade.its a bit longer but does a very nice job.

I saw some case fillet knives, and was wondering how good they are. I didnt see in the pictures on line that the blades a marked xx. Which model of case fillet knife do you own?

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia

Holy crap, that's almost 29,000 a year!!! :):

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I currently use a Rapala Superflex. I have to touch up with the steel every 15-20 fish or so.
    31x8ULpqSWL._SS500_.jpg

I have open ears as to a better one. However, please qualify your contribution by passing along how many pounds of fish you currently have in your freezer. For me; 8# crappie fillets.
    For the money this is a very good knife. I have the granddady of these back from 1981. A pair of the Normak Presentation knives in 6". One is still in my gear, one is in the kitchen. The picture does not show it very well but if you look on their web site at the classic collector model, it better shows the tip. It is a small detail, but it is nice for cleaning fish. For a 6" knife it does very well on smaller fish. The current presentation knife has a different blade design.

This knife is not expensive, takes a great edge and can hold it for awhile. You can buy a 4" and a 6" without going broke. If you are not in saltwater, you don't need more than a 6".

My custom knives came from Persuader Knives in Montanta, I am not sure he is even still alive.

No matter how many fish I am about to filet, at least one of the 6" Normarks will be out for skinning.

Last edited:

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI

This is what I am talkin' bout Willis! Just like my two from 30 years ago. I can tickle the ribs of a fish with my eyes closed. What concerns me is these days a LOT of my gear is called vintage......WTH people?!

Vintage Normark Fillet knife - Knifeforums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the Knife Enthusiast - Powered by FusionBB

Kind of cool, all the Marttiini blades in one place
    http://www.marttiini.fi/in_English/Marttiini_Shop/Marttiini_Fishing.iw3

Last edited:

Yukon227

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Henry County
    Rapala or the Case xx. I keep a rapala ceramic sharpener right beside me and give it a few laps every few fish and have no problems, I also use these for cleaning ducks and geese with no problems. BUT if I dont resharpen frequently it makes for an aggravating cleaning session

Top Bottom