i just broke the seal on my preparations

picture.php

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Well I got plenty of everything important..

TP, Beer, propane, heater fuel, food, water, etc.

Just don't have a generator, see I had one but I sort of paid back my brother for something I lost of his....

So I think I might go with this mysterious battery and inverter idea..

Actually totally forgot about the two inverters I have and what I can run off of them..

Just need one big enough to run my computer and we are good.... lol

I honestly hope that everyones preparations is not fully utilized and it all metls off soon with no power inturptions.

I said HOPE... Be safe all.. Here in the Hut we already got about 3/8 inch of ice on horizontal surfaces.. At least at my house.. No I won't say which one...

Last edited:

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    wood stove and box stocked.. lanterns ready.. food stores stocked... flashlights.. kerosene heater .. ready... vehicles tarped... just a matter of time till the neighbors wander over...

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    i just broke the seal on my preparations

I'm in the same position.

Went into Martinsville today and the gas stations were slam full and so were the grocery stores. The guy at Rural King told me Kroger was out of milk. People are nuts.

Most of my heat comes from wood and I always have a couple of weeks ahead split up. Worst case, I'm on 600 acres, I'm sure there is a tree down within walking distance of the house. I can't imagine not having at least a couple of week's worth of food on hand as a matter of course.

Biggest thing I'm kicking myself over, in regards to preparation, is not having skis for the landing gear.

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Well, it's a good thing I was running through a pre-SHTF checklist - I spent almost 3 hours tearing down and rebuilding my generator because I forgot to run check it a few months ago and and the fuel line and carburetor were all gunked up. I also fixed my bypass switch for the furnace so I am up and running with backup power!

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Last night I went and picked up my wife in Crawfordsville.

She went to a family funeral with her brother. When I got home my car was covered with at least 1/4 to 3/4 inch of ice and the extra weight helped with the traction. The mirrors and front of the car had several inches of ice art and I forgot to take pictures because it was 1 am and I was tired

Drove through freezing rain, ice pellets, snow, sleet and almost no one was on the roads.

Only saw one car off the road. Wife said they drove 150 miles in IL and didn't see a plow till Indiana.

bft131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Got home last night from the FH...filled up the aqua-tainers I picked up yesterday, filled up some extra pitcher, both coffee pots, brought more wood pellets on the porch...nothing big...This morning just did the regular chores, opened the barn for the cows, ran to New Market for coffee and went to Crawfordsville for new wiper blades and a gallon of milk...hunkered down at home with the wife, kids and the dog....lets kick this pig !!

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    Wish I would have bought salt. it was one thing I forgot! probly one of the most important things I could have got. When I can find it in the store again, I will be stocking up.

Get water softner salt pellets. I put some out a week ago, and post ice last night, my steps were still dry with salt to spare (I did put down more before I left this morning). That stuff last forever, and since it's easily crushed when stepped on it's not a slipping hazard either. Try it. Don't know what the cost difference is, but it's vastly superior.

In other news, I get to stay at work until 5PM. No early out for me, though I can't complain (much) as I really don't mind and I've got the shortest drive. May still go out and pick up 2 more deep cycles, not sure, will depend on the weather as there isn't anything on the way home. Anyone know if stores are planning to close early?

kadetklapp

shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    West-Central Indiana
    Where in the world do you find coffee in New Market?:n00b: I used to work at Etter Ford back in the late '70's, and I didn't think there was much left in New Market.:dunno:
    Why the Mountie Mart, of course :rockwoot:

Just make sure you're armed when you go there.

Anyway, last night I brought up two loads of wood (aged two years) and cleaned out the stove at the BOL, which is very near my house. If I lose power, we'll be packing up and head there were we can have heat (wood stove).

moischmoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Noble County, IN
    Uh Oh! In the face of being holed up at home with the wife unit for a couple days, I just realized that I am dangerously low on "protection". Something to add to your prep lists.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Power went out just before 7:00 pm.

I went ahead and hooked up the portable generator and ran extension cords throughout the house. It's a pain but worth it! I now have heat and internet, two essentials!

Some day, I'd love to have an automatic whole-house generator!:yesway:

Top Bottom