Finally, a cop shoots someone in the leg....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    It's called flinching (anticipation) when the officers hit the legs...;) BTW, a bullet can NEVER be considered "less lethal" as human bodies react poorly when a bullet is introduced, no matter the location.

I narrowly missed a major artery with a utility knife mishap that plunged it all the way into my inner thigh...let's hear again how leg shots aren't fatal? I almost bought the farm that day....or could have, I guess, is more accurate. I applied a tourniquet to my own leg before I even knew whether it was just a painful cut or had artery involvement.

Shot to the same area? Pretty fatal.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I narrowly missed a major artery with a utility knife mishap that plunged it all the way into my inner thigh...let's hear again how leg shots aren't fatal? I almost bought the farm that day....or could have, I guess, is more accurate. I applied a tourniquet to my own leg before I even knew whether it was just a painful cut or had artery involvement.

Shot to the same area? Pretty fatal.

Yup, I watched a female die that had a gunshot to the leg that was barely bleeding. Leg shots can be MORE deadly than torso shots.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    From a letter from Iron County Attorney Scott F. Garrett to Enoch City Police Chief Jackson Ames, detailing the Attorney's investigation of Corporal Jeremy Dunn' use of force:

...Corporal Dunn was not justified in using deadly force against Casimiro.

Corporal Dunn will not be charged criminally. Even though the shooting was not legally justified, the State would not be able to prove the requisite criminal intent for a criminal charge.

Entire letter is here: https://media.good4utah.com/nxsglob...termination_1533622279398_50906343_ver1.0.pdf

Probably was a good idea from a legal jeopardy perspective for Corporal Dunn, if he was going to shoot at all, to choose to wound her versus shooting center of mass or head. I suspect if he had killed her, he would be facing a manslaughter charge from this district attorney.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    From a letter from Iron County Attorney Scott F. Garrett to Enoch City Police Chief Jackson Ames, detailing the Attorney's investigation of Corporal Jeremy Dunn' use of force:

Entire letter is here: https://media.good4utah.com/nxsglob...termination_1533622279398_50906343_ver1.0.pdf

Probably was a good idea from a legal jeopardy perspective for Corporal Dunn, if he was going to shoot at all, to choose to wound her versus shooting center of mass or head. I suspect if he had killed her, he would be facing a manslaughter charge from this district attorney.

Wow...

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield

What other option is there? I assume riot gear wasn't available to pin her down with (not that i like that idea without knowing what other weapons she had in her pockets). Wait for bean bag shotty to show up and hope she doesn't start stabbing ppl?
    Outside with the breeze changing directions I'd hate to break out the pepper spray (not something I see a use for regularly anyway).

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    A little more background from prior to this incident:

19 March 2018 Several Utah law enforcement agencies admonish iron county attorney
    In the letter, which is dated February 13 and obtained by FOX 13 on March 9, law enforcement officials from Iron, Garfield and Beaver Counties accuse Garrett of being “unable to keep [his] personal feelings, prejudices, and animosities from impairing [his] judgement (sic).”
    Iron County Sheriff Mark O. Gower, Beaver County Sheriff Cameron Noel, Cedar City Police Chief Darin M. Adams, Enoch City Police Chief Jackson Ames, Brian Head Marshal’s Office Chief Dan Benson, Parowan Police Chief Ken Carpenter and Southern Utah University Acting Police Chief Joshua Neilson co-signed the letter.
    Garfield County Sheriff Danny Perkins’ name is printed on the letter among the co-signers’ names, but his signature is not present.

14 April 2018 Iron County Attorney Scott Garrett ends re-election bid; GOP delegates nominate county candidates
    CEDAR CITY — Incumbent Iron County Attorney Scott Garrett announced he is withdrawing his candidacy in this year’s election and will not seek a fifth term.

“I’ve counseled with our team, and I’ve come to the conclusion that we will not move forward with our candidacy,” he told the audience. “As a result, I withdraw my candidacy for Iron County Attorney.”
    Garrett, who has been in office for the past 16 years, added he plans to finish out the remainder of his fourth and final term.

Post incident news:
    08 August 2018 Utah officer cleared in shooting of woman holding a screwdriver

A Utah police department has cleared an officer who opened fire on a woman in June after threatening to shoot her as she paced around holding a screwdriver and verbally taunted officers.
    A report by the Enoch City Use of Force Review Board dated Wednesday came to a different conclusion — that the shooting was within department policy despite Dunn’s admissions that he was aiming for the woman's extremities and that he approached the confrontation having "mentally purchased" the idea that he'd have to open fire, according to documents in the case.
    The city report states that "reasonable force was used" by Dunn, and it appears to support his decision to aim for Casimiro's extremities.
    The report said "Dunn chose to incapacitate the female suspect using lethal force in a nonlethal manner."

Last edited:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    What other option is there? I assume riot gear wasn't available to pin her down with (not that i like that idea without knowing what other weapons she had in her pockets). Wait for bean bag shotty to show up and hope she doesn't start stabbing ppl?
    Outside with the breeze changing directions I'd hate to break out the pepper spray (not something I see a use for regularly anyway).
    This is something I am currently working on. Trying to find a new tool for these kind of situations. I have a couple unique tools in my office but I'm not ready to go public with them as I have to still develop a training curriculum to go with them.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Bolas.jpg

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    This is something I am currently working on. Trying to find a new tool for these kind of situations. I have a couple unique tools in my office but I'm not ready to go public with them as I have to still develop a training curriculum to go with them.

stun.jpg

:)

Top Bottom