• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CW9

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2009
    Greenwood
    After about a year and a half of hounding my parents I have got them to admit that they would like to start preparing for when the SHTF. My mom called me the other day and said her and my dad want to sit down, and have me help them prepare. what guns to buy, food, locations to meet, B.O.B.S and so on. I think it took them seeing my uncle who is now almost completely of the grid and self sufficient this past weekend, to see that things are getting a little too real to ignore any longer. I am only 23 but I have been into survivalism for a while now and it makes me very proud to see them join me in this. I just hope they stick with it and see that it never hurts to be ready for when the SHTF.

SC_Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Bloomington
    Congrats! With any luck, they will never have to thank you for getting them to that point. It is tough to get people to understand that SHTF can mean lots of different things and can be caused by weather or something "normal" just as easily as by civil unrest or something worse. Most folks just don't like even thinking about the possibility of bad things happening, which is why you deserve a kudos for getting them on board.

:+1: repped.

United

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    congrats! It's hard to make some folks see the reasons why they need to prepare. It's not always about terrorist stuff or end of the world talk either..it's what is happening right here in our own state this very minute why people need to be prepared.

Best of luck with the preparations!!

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Good. Now make sure they also have what they need to "bug in" for a week or two.

(Ice Storm, blizzard, flood, power outage, lost job, you know the stuff that's 10x more likely to happen.)

CW9

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2009
    Greenwood
    Good. Now make sure they also have what they need to "bug in" for a week or two.

(Ice Storm, blizzard, flood, power outage, lost job, you know the stuff that's 10x more likely to happen.)

They have a little of that already. Just some water and canned food, but not enough to satisfy my standards.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    but not enough to satisfy my standards.

dont force is down the throats though, dont want to burn them out on the idea or put a stigma to it.... kind of sounds like you are a bit intense with this which is a good thing, but you also sound a little c ocky too.... the older generations tend to start ignoring us arrogent youngins

CW9

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2009
    Greenwood
    I am not in their faces at all, that's one thing you don't do with my parents. Its taken me over a year just asking them casually every now and then if they wanted to talk about it, to finally get them to the table. I am not hardcore into this, by any stretch of the imagination. its just that they feel prepared with a 24 pack of water and some crackers, and i don't want them to be left feeling that's safe. But, i do agree with you 100% that beating them over the head with knowledge and scare tactics i snot the best way.

Root

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    I'm with Indy. Once someone realizes how thin the veil of "normal everyday life" is and how easily it can be disrupted can be stressful. Take it slow, lay out a schedule of priorities and purchasing. Try not to freak mom out! Good on you for being persistent with them. That's awesome. Reminds me of my dad. Tell that guy something once a week for a year and then he'll finally say " you know son, I thought of something.... " LOL

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    To the OP congrats

I'm with Indy. Once someone realizes how thin the veil of "normal everyday life" is and how easily it can be disrupted can be stressful. Take it slow, lay out a schedule of priorities and purchasing. Try not to freak mom out! Good on you for being persistent with them. That's awesome. Reminds me of my dad. Tell that guy something once a week for a year and then he'll finally say " you know son, I thought of something.... " LOL

My wifey is finally on board after being without power the other day for five hours.

Top Bottom