Finally done with Basic training(gun related)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chrissmallwood

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2008
    Seymour, IN
    Hi all. I just wanted to let you know that I finally made it through basic training and I can't wait to get back to posting on the forum. Luckily I have access to my laptop while Im at AIT during my free time so hopefully Ill be on here alot. After 10.5 wks of Fort Know Im glad to be out of there. To keep this gun related I qualified expert with a 38 out of 40 which I know those 2 misses were my own fault. I got cocky. I realized that after wks of wishing to shoot the M2 Browning that it wasnt an earth shattering experience as I thought it would be yet 25rds for it just aint enough. I like the M240 better than the M249. I learned that policing brass when your the one keeping it is fun but doing it and not being able to keep it sucks. Well thats about it. I cant wait to get back to posting with the rest of you fine Hoosiers.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Thanks for your service. Not having any military background myself I would love to read about your experiences whether it was directly related to guns or not. (BTW: If your discussion is loosely related to your military experience then it has a remote enough connection to guns to be more gun related than a ton of posts on here. I wouldn't worry about that a lot.)

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Fort Knox eh?

How are Agony, Misery and Heartbreak?

Not any flatter than they were when I was there in '86 I'm sure :D

Congrats!

What MOS? Where are you at for AIT?

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    laptops in ait? wtf?

exactly. ive just gotten use to all these new guys getting spoiled in basic and ait. had a buddy tell me that the class after his they were going to allow cell phones so they could test it out, lol. WTF? these kids now have only about 1/2 an idea. not sayng they dont get good training, they deffinately do, but man, at least make them cry for their mommy on a payphone and not a cell phone, lol

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    exactly. ive just gotten use to all these new guys getting spoiled in basic and ait. had a buddy tell me that the class after his they were going to allow cell phones so they could test it out, lol. WTF? these kids now have only about 1/2 an idea. not sayng they dont get good training, they deffinately do, but man, at least make them cry for their mommy on a payphone and not a cell phone, lol

when i reclassed, i got my own room, and i used to rent out my phone to privates for a dollar a minute. after any particularly "rough" day of training, i could make about $50 a night.

chrissmallwood

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2008
    Seymour, IN
    Fort Knox eh?

How are Agony, Misery and Heartbreak?

Not any flatter than they were when I was there in '86 I'm sure :D

Congrats!

What MOS? Where are you at for AIT?

Nope, still pretty flat;). They werent as bad as I thought they'd be. Our First Seargent was a PT stud who liked to get things done with quick so we usually got to run up most of the hills so we could get back to our barracks. What company were you in? My MOS is 88M and Im stuck at Ft Leanord Wood right now. I can say for sure that we were not spoiled at basic. Atleast not in our company. I only spoke to my wife once the whole time I was there and that was at the very beginning. We had no privileges which is why I was so shocked once I got here. The lack of discipline and military bearing was sickening to be honest. The others who came from Knox with me honestly wish we could go back. Having a laptop availible to me is nice but not at the cost of looking like a dumbass like some of the people do.

Last edited:

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    A laptop?!
    I wasn't even allowed to have civiliam clothing in AIT, let alone a laptop. We could, however, use the phones on the weekends. Course this was in '85.
    "The Army ain't what it used to be..... and never was" SSG Paul, DI C-12-4, Ft. Jackson S.C.

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Wow laptops, cell phones, stress cards in basic. What's going on?
    Didnt have any of that on Sand Hill in 96.

Anyways Congrats to you and Thank You for your service to our Country and so us older gents can retire and not worry...............................at least as much.

foxxie02

Marksman
    Rating - 97.2%
    35   1   0
    May 23, 2008
    ft. lost in the woods

yeah ft. lost in the woods was really too lax, it was a shock going from there to Ft. Jackson for AIT, two different worlds in 94 anyways.. good luck.

Top Bottom