• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • marcweid

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Avon, IN
    I did a search but can't find any previous post like mine. All the others are really trying to convince themselves why they should be good.

I am at a total loss. I have been waiting on my lifetime permit for a while and today got a letter in the mail stating I was denied for the reason (7) does not make a false statement of material fact on the person's application.So I guess I put something incorrect on the application.

Here is a brief rundown of my situation. I have had a permit for the last 8 years with no issue on the original or the last renewal. Including a Utah permit now that is stricter than Indiana. I do have two previous arrests both were over 14 years ago and in no way would prevent me from getting a permit. First charge was minor possession of alcohol (20 in college). I did a little community service and that was it . I can't even find anything out about this charge on my record. I did do the paid State police search and it only shows one. The other shows up on the background check and is a misdemeanor conversion (I possessed stolen property).

I must have filled out something wrong on the application and just made an honest mistake. I put both instances on it so maybe I "lied" since I put a charge they can't find a record of. I figured better safe than sorry since it did happen. The letter said I can appeal within 60 days so clearly I plan to do this. But all it says is it to send an appeal. There is no formal procedure or form that I can find. I just want to make sure I do this correct. Has anyone ever had this problem and where do I go from here? Also what happens from here? Thanks in advance for any responses.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    Yes, definitely appeal. From what I've read on here from people who were denied was almost always some kind of error on the application. Did it list specifically what was incorrect? With what you say, already having one plus a Utah license, it sounds like that's the case. I'm pretty sure you'll be able to correct the error at the appeal.

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    Yes, definitely appeal. From what I've read on here from people who were denied was almost always some kind of error on the application. Did it list specifically what was incorrect? With what you say, already having one plus a Utah license, it sounds like that's the case. I'm pretty sure you'll be able to correct the error at the appeal.

This.

File the appeal. They will review it and most likely contact you. If it is an "honest" mistake, they will likely have you go downtown and sign a corrected application. One guy on here had the same situation and was issued his license on the spot. Fortunately, you are local. He was from NWI.

Good luck

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I was denied on my first app. It was no big deal. I forgot to put a disorderly conduct charge from my younger days. I appealed, went downtown and had a hearing, told them it was an honest mistake and they approved me. Took a little time but really no big deal. I hope you are getting the lifetime now so you don't have to mess with it every few years.

Dudley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2014
    Lafayette
    I too was denied on my first go around, send in an appeal letter, went to the hearing signed my original application. The lady that was there said they would send out my LTCH first thing the next morning. Three days later it was sitting in my mailbox when I got home from work.

marcweid

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Avon, IN
    Thanks everyone for the response. It helps a lot. Sounds like no big deal. It was either an honest mistake on my side or a mistake on their end. The reason listed was exactly this, " (7) does not make a false statement of material fact on the person's application.So I guess I put something incorrect on the application. " So I must have made a mistake but there is nothing that would stop me from getting one. I will keep everyone informed on how it goes and also to help others in the future in my situation.

Onionsanddragons

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 13, 2014
    Terre Haute
    I had an appeal hearing my very first time when I was 21. They lost my doctor's statement of sound mental health. (I had been on antidepressants for a childhood illness a few years before, and didn't lie)

It was no big deal. You probably made a minor error somewhere and they caught it. You will likely get your license a week after the hearing. From what i have heard they are actually pretty good about that.

Archer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Same thing happened to me mate. I got denied because I wrote some old misdemeanor specifics (from my wayward youth) down wrong, filed the appeal and went in for my appointment. 5 minutes later I was out of there, and the new pink slip was in my mailbox two days later.

jwhitaker45

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    I feel like a unicorn. I passed on my first application and didn't have any trouble. But quite a few of my friends didn't pass and they have previous hunting licenses. Appeal. I don't see how they can go through the entire denial AND appeal without telling you what was wrong. So eventually you will find out.

marcweid

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Avon, IN
    Thanks again for the responses. I do have one other question for the people who have been through the appeal process. Sounds like the actual appeal interview is easy and straight forward. But from the time I fax the letter in (which will be in the morning) how long does it take to get a date? My current permit expires on the 6/17 and I really hate the idea of not carrying a gun at work. Thanks again guys.

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    As long as you applied before your current license expired, you are still OK to carry. However, since you applied and were denied, I don't know if this still works. You might check with ISP on that.

marcweid

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Avon, IN
    Great news today. I was to impatient to wait for a response from ISP so I just made a trip downtown. I had my appeal letter in hand and went up to the window and just played dumb and asked how to appeal. The guy at the window quickly read over my letter and asked if I had a minute. Of course I said yes and took a seat. About five minutes later he came out into the lobby. He then asked me what my criminal background was. I stated the same thing as I said in the previous comment which was also what my appeal stated. Turned out I had the two charges backwards on the dates. He said that's all he needed to hear and to initial next to the correction he made. He then said great that's all we needed to do and my permit would be in the mail in the morning. This ended up being much easier than I ever imagined and have to say they handled it great. I am sure I probably got lucky in how this played out but glad it worked out so good.

Thanks to all that commented.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    :rockwoot: :rockwoot: :rockwoot:

Great news today. I was to impatient to wait for a response from ISP so I just made a trip downtown. I had my appeal letter in hand and went up to the window and just played dumb and asked how to appeal. The guy at the window quickly read over my letter and asked if I had a minute. Of course I said yes and took a seat. About five minutes later he came out into the lobby. He then asked me what my criminal background was. I stated the same thing as I said in the previous comment which was also what my appeal stated. Turned out I had the two charges backwards on the dates. He said that's all he needed to hear and to initial next to the correction he made. He then said great that's all we needed to do and my permit would be in the mail in the morning. This ended up being much easier than I ever imagined and have to say they handled it great. I am sure I probably got lucky in how this played out but glad it worked out so good.

Thanks to all that commented.

Archer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indianapolis
    You had alot more luck than I did when I would go in there. I always got the bored looking young lady at the desk closest to the window, whose response to any question I had was "There's nothing I can do about that". Glad to hear you got it all sorted out!

Top Bottom