• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mat250

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I stopped by 500 guns to see what they had and there she was. It is an older model with plenty of character. It has the metal trigger guard and other bits. I think it has a walnut stock. Not sure how good the scope is but it looks descent, as long as there are no surprises I think I got a good deal for less than $200. I really wanted one of the older ones. It needs a good cleaning but over all it looks nice.

1022.jpg

1022close.jpg

Saiga223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Congrats on your purchase. Yo definitely will not regret it. Stay away from the Remington "gold bullets" I use the Federal bulk pack in the maroon box. Also now the fun begins, there are so many things you can do with a 10/22!

Mat250

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Stay away from the Remington "gold bullets" I use the Federal bulk pack in the maroon box.

Thanks for the info.
    I think I need the extended mag release. It took two hands and a foot for me to get it out the first time. :): I'm not sure what I want to do with it yet, I may refinish the stock. It has some scratches on it but I can sand most of them out and give it a light black stain where you can see the grain. I think those always look nice.

What is the bolt release every one talks about?

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Welcome to the bottomless pit of 10/22 fun!!!

I agree the extended mag release is a must as the production one is an absolute pain.

The bolt release is just a modification of the plate that locks the bolt back. As manufactured you have to go through a multi-step process to get the bolt released, and if you don't do it perfectly, it can be really annoying. The modification to the plate is simple, and I believe somewhere on this site someone posted a picture of the modified plate. Simply dremel or file off the nub in the heartlike shaped hole in the bolt release plate and you will have a rifle that works like every other semi-auto instead of a Ruger pain. Google 10/22 bolt release and I am sure a photo of the modified one will show up.

edit, ok I googled it.
    p_930122003_1.jpg

8th SPS USAF

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hobart , In
    10/22

Nice 10/22. Now start buying all the aftermarket parts. Stocks, bbls,
    50 rnd BlkDog drums. It never stops Good luck. I had mine cut to 16.5"
    and threaded.

Mat250

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Indianapolis
    O.K. so I got it apart and it's not too bad. The barrel was spotless but the rest looks like it had a few hundred rounds through it then it just sat for years. I don't think it was ever taken apart. It is cleaning up really well. I don't feel comfortable taking the trigger assembly apart so is it alright to just spray it with some hoppe's #9 and "q-tip" it? Is there something better to use?

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Actually spraying it with Hoppes would be good for getting all the built up carbon that might be lurking there. After that I personally follow up with Breakfree CLP.

Mat250

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Indianapolis
    It turned out great, everything cleaned up nice. I gave the stock a light sand with some steel wool and rubbed in a nice dark oil and it looks sharp. No rust and all the actions are smooth. It took me a while to figure out the bolt release, I thought it was broken. It was more of a roll up to release and down to lock not just push it in.
    Otherwise from the serial it was made in 1987 and it has an older tasco scope made in Japan, those are supposed to be better than the newer ones.

Thanks for the tips and I'll be at the range soon!

1022after.jpg

ftbstrd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Yorktown/Muncie
    10/22

CONGRATS! The 10/22 in my opinion is the Caddy of the semi auto 22's. They are reliable and last FOREVER! +1 on staying away from the Remington golden They are all but garbage!

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    It took me a while to figure out the bolt release, I thought it was broken. It was more of a roll up to release and down to lock not just push it in.

Thanks for the tips and I'll be at the range soon!

That is why many people either buy or modify that bolt release, because the way Ruger did it is pure stupid.

Mat250

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Indianapolis
    That is why many people either buy or modify that bolt release, because the way Ruger did it is pure stupid.

Yeah it feels weird. I saw the little "heart" on it. When I pop that pin to take it out is there anything special I need to do to the spring on the underside of it? Is it easy to put back? sorry I don't know how else to explain it. It seems like a simple fix with a dremel.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Good deal! you can never go wrong with a 10/22. The stock looks great! good job!.......most of all have fun...

Saiga223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Yeah it feels weird. I saw the little "heart" on it. When I pop that pin to take it out is there anything special I need to do to the spring on the underside of it? Is it easy to put back? sorry I don't know how else to explain it. It seems like a simple fix with a dremel.

It is ridiculously easy to do. Here is a link to a youtube video that will walk you through it.

Auto Bolt hold Release

Top Bottom