• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    I bought this thing almost 2 weeks ago and finally got to take it over to MCF&G this afternoon.

IMO the LCR is a great little revolver.:yesway: MUCH less recoil than I was expecting out such a light weight handgun. I was shooting Magtech 158 gr. .38 SPL ammo. I found you do have to aim it as Ruger tells you to in the manual. Level up the front sight with the rear sight/groove and aim right at 6 o'clock. I was only shooting at about 15 feet but could keep 90-95% of my shoots inside a 7" circle. Plenty good enough for what I would (hopefully never) need it for. It has definetly took over for my PF9.

Only complaint I would have about the LCR is the fact there is no "real" rear sight. I wish Ruger had molded a small dot/hole in the polymer frame that I could fill with the Glow On paint I have painted on the front sight blade. IMO it would be nice to have something to line up in the dark if ever needed.

It's a keeper, but hey.... it's a Ruger what did you expect!:D

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    :rockwoot: Awesome! congrats on the purchase and the range time! :D
    I have been pretty impressed with the LCR. I do not own one, but have shot a couple of them and I like them alot!

NickL45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Thanks for the review. I have one with the XS front night sight and the Hogue tamer grips. It's my edc pocket gun.

jffyg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Hamilton
    I have been really interested in the LCR for a while, touched them alot at the store. The only thing that gets me is that giant grip. Does the grip make the LCR difficult to conceal? I wish someone made a slimmer aftermarket grip. I know the grip thats on it is supposed to tame recoil, but its sooo huge. Conrats on the purchase and good range report!

MikeBear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Brazil, IN
    I use my LCR for my carry gun, and find the grip is no problem to conceal. The larger size makes for a better fit in my hand.

MarlinMan68

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Indiana-Michigan State Line
    I have been really interested in the LCR for a while, touched them alot at the store. The only thing that gets me is that giant grip. Does the grip make the LCR difficult to conceal? I wish someone made a slimmer aftermarket grip. I know the grip thats on it is supposed to tame recoil, but its sooo huge. Conrats on the purchase and good range report!

Check out the boot grip model,sounds like what your after.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    Check out the boot grip model,sounds like what your after.

I looked at one with the boot grip. Personally I didn't like it. It was TOO small for my hand. It made the LCR like the LCP was to me, I just never felt I had a good grip on it. Just my :twocents:

I haven't found an IWB holster yet, so I haven't carried it like I did my PF9 so as far as the larger grip I can't comment. I have a jacket that has a zippered pocket on the upper right chest, and the LCR fits perfectly in it. It is so light weight I hardly know it's in there. I'll be looking for a good jacket with a "larger" inside pocket on the leftside since I'm right handed.

I'm getting to like the LCR so well the PF9 might just have to go up for sale. I could use that cash for my other "need', an AR.:D The recoil is MUCH lighter than the PF9, and although the LCR has only 5 rounds I am MUCH more accurate with it compared to the PF9. IMO, I'll take accuracy over round count almost every time.:yesway:

WhoDaThunk?RN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2011
    Franklin township
    LOVE MY LCR

I really like my LCR, I like the size of the grip, I am female with average size hands and the grip was one of the selling points for me. I CC it with no problem. I am still in the market for a holster I like..maybe i can find one at the 1500 on friday when I go. All in all I'm pleased with this my first hand gun purchase.:draw:

NickL45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    My LCR came with the boot grip. My hand was too big for it and I never felt like I had a secure grip. I ordered a Hogue Tamer grip from Ruger and installed it. It is much better and very secure. I carry mine in a nemesis inside the pocket holster with no problems.

MarlinMan68

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Indiana-Michigan State Line
    My LCR came with the boot grip. My hand was too big for it and I never felt like I had a secure grip. I ordered a Hogue Tamer grip from Ruger and installed it. It is much better and very secure. I carry mine in a nemesis inside the pocket holster with no problems.

I didn't like the boot grip either.But I bought the 357 anyway so it didn't matter.I will be upgrading to the night sights and just bought a used Galco speed paddle for $20 off of MGO,its for a j-frame but should fit well enough.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Anyone have a direct comparison / opinion between an LCR with .38 +p vs. a S&W 642?

Specifically in the felt recoil department????

The more I read about the LCR, the more I'm intrigued. (Same with the S&W Bodyguard .38)

Thanks,

-J-

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    I've got both.

The Smith with hogue grip IMO is equal in felt recoil to my LCR with crimson trace boot grip. Neither is unpleasant with. 38sp and +p is easily manageable. However the Smith with wood boot grip or hideouts tends to sting the hand. I have not used a hogue gripped LCR for comparison as the CT grips do the trick well enough for me.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Thanks danmdevries.

I currently have some walnut boot grips on my 642. Danged thing is downright unpleasant to shoot with +p ammunition.

REALLY thinking that I need to forgo vanity and put some better grips on it.

-J-

zcsmith464

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Noblesville
    I have been thinking hard about the lcr as well. I am stuck between a compact or a revolver in addition to the p3at. I would like somthing with a bit more capacity but need something the wife can shoot as personal protection. Feels great i my hand. I am just concerned about accuracy as well.

DFM914

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Avon
    Just bought a LCR 357 from PSS yesterday. They had both the .38 and .357
    What a great little gun..as soon as my wife got a chance to handle it, she said "I want this" and I told her we would get her one if she wants it. Better than everything I have read about it. Great job Ruger!

Top Bottom