• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    And she was smiling. This was a huge accomplishment, because she was raised in a family where guns were scary, forbidden things. Both my kids asked me to learn to shoot, so this last spring I started teaching them. Then on Friday, my daughter called, and she wants me to teach her college roommate to shoot this coming Friday night. (Her roommate is taking a job in a large city this spring after she graduates, and is a bit nervous about living alone). My wife was stunned by this.

So, Saturday, after a long hike in the Amphitheater park here in West Lafayette, she asked if I was going shooting. I said I was thinking about it...she asked to come along. :)

I started her out on the Ruger MKIII rental gun.....it's an extremely gentle gun for first time shooters. By the 2nd clip, she was hitting all black at 8 yards. She even managed several bull-eyes.

I shot a clip through my 9mm......she was a little leery about it. She shot some more of the 22LR...then asked if she could shoot a clip through my 9. So i loaded up one for her, showed her how the MP works.....and away she went. First shot scared her a bit, but after that she settled down. And she only had 2 fliers out of the entire clip;, rest were in the 9 or 8 point range of the black.

I doubt she will ever become an avid shooter........but at least she knows how to pick up my handgun and use it, if the need ever arises.

iMac

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Congrats! When i took my gal shooting for the first time she got bored of the 22 quick and kept wanting to shoot my kimber :) now shes addicted to my AR and won't put it down when we go. Lol I even managed to get her to shoot the 41mag last time but she wasn't interested in shooting much after the first shot lol

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    Congrats!!!
    My wife was also raised in a house without guns. She still does not like them at all and will not shoot. I am hoping that I will be able to get her shooting sometime. My son is 3 now and I hope to take him shooting in a few years, since I shot my 1st gun when I was 5. Hopefully she will want to join and it will be something that we can all do together.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    You, Sir, are indeed a lucky man! Obviously you taught your children right if they are recommending you to teach a friend...Good for you! and even better for America!!!

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Congrats, always a plus to be able to share the sport with the significant other, plus if you get her liking guns also makes that "new gun purchase" a little easier;)

Shive.Justin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2011
    Greenwood/Whiteland
    Two thumbs up for you sir. My wife also grew up in an anti-gun household, and still holds on to her thoughts about guns. I myself, also grew up in an anti-gun household, but have always been a gun lover and got my first at 20. My daughter is almost a year old now and hope she will shoot with me in the future, and manage to bring my wife. Congrats!

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    I'm not married ether and my girlfriend likes to shoot.
    She started off with the small stuff .22s .17HMR and then I bought a HI-Point 9mm carbine with a red dot scope that she loved until she shot my AK74(5.45x39). And now she won't give it up and what is worse she has learned to bump fire, thank goodness the ammo is cheap.
    Now just if I can get her to not out shoot the other guys at the range everything would be fine. :): :hehe:
    I think I have created a monster!:ar15:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    The .22LR is the best gun caliber to start with a new shooter.
    I actually learned basic marksmanship with air gun, this way you can really focus on the trigger pull and sight pictures and you dont have to worry about the recoil.
    Then I worked my way to the .22 up to the biggest handgun calibers.
    I have seen some people who will start a first time shooter with a 45ACP or 44 magnum and scare them for life, they cant hit anything because of the recoil and dont have fun.

Top Bottom