• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    I use my Lee Classic as both a turret press and a single stage. I pull the twist-pole out and manually rotate the turret. I load a lot of blackpowder for Cowboy Action shooting, and like so size/prime a box of cases, then dip the powder into that box of cases, then press the bullet and crimp to complete the box. It may be more work, but that's my way of doing it.

I'll probably get a Dillon soon, but I'll keep the Lee around as well.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Picked up the Auto Drum, and have not had any issues with short throws. Right now the set-up is working well.

Just curious if anyone else is using the factory crimp die and getting brass shavings? It seems the die is swaging some (but not all) loads.

Not using the FCD results in a cartridge that is slightly larger in diameter, with some brass. The brands I notice this with is PPU (consistently) and S&B (occasionally).

I'm going to cut the FCD out of the process for awhile. Anything that removes material from the casing is a potential problem...

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    I found the sizing ring on my FCD was swaging my 45acp bullets so I swapped my 45acp and 9mm over to these....https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012352338/redding-taper-crimp-die
    I also got one in 38 Special and it works well with the light loads I use.

I've read that you can drive out the sizing ring on a FCD and just use it as a crimp die. Seemed like too much work for as cheap as the Reddings are.

Last edited:

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    I found the sizing ring on my FCD was swaging my 45acp bullets so I swapped my 45acp and 9mm over to these....https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012352338/redding-taper-crimp-die
    I also got one in 38 Special and it works well with the light loads I use.

I've read that you can drive out the sizing ring on a FCD and just use it as a crimp die. Seemed like too much work for as cheap as the Reddings are.

It's probably just that 147 gr. bullets have to be seated fairly deep to chamber. I'll check this on the next run of 124 gr. bullets, but guessing it won't be a problem...

Top Bottom