• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nickf2005

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    Indianapolis
    After weeks of contemplation, I finally mustered up the courage to walk in BGF and slap the buckaroos down for a XDs 9mm. They had a full-black ($529) and a bi-tone ($569)... I opted to spend my $40 on ammunition instead (well, $22 on a pack of Hornaday CD). Great purchasing experience, even though I had to wait a few minutes to be waited on (expected). The showroom was busy, but the range was packed!

Anyways, after purchase, went to Wally-world on Emerson to grab 150 rounds of Federal plinkers. I ran home, changed (still in church clothes), and went over to my property in Hancock county to fire off a few. Decided I didn't want the XDm to feel lonely, so I brought her along too.

First impressions FROM A SOUTHPAW... great little gun. I ran 50 rounds of the Federal and 8 rounds of the CD and not one hiccup. Easy shooting little gun and I didn't have the least bit of feeling that it was trying to spring out of my hand with the 3.3" barrel. It was seamless going from my XDm .40 to the Xds. I really like the look of the fiber optic front sight. Of course, my left hand truly appreciates the lack of thumb safety and ambidextrous magazine release. Those two features are what pretty much had me sold. Plus, already having the XDm helped a bit...

Accuracy wasn't what I see from my XDm 4.5" barrel, but what do you expect? I have some more practice, but seemed as though I was consistently low and left at 8(ish) yards. When I moved up to 5(ish) yards, it was much better and I was even able to recover in a rapid fire scenario pretty well. Trigger was not as smooth as my XDm, but nothing I'd complain about. I've see where there's a $20 trigger spring kit out there, maybe I'll ask for it for Christmas or something. No hurry from me. Plus, maybe it'll get better the more rounds I put through it.

While in BFG, I grabbed an Uncle Mike's IWB holster. Now, before you flame me too much, I have plans to get a Crossbreed or Galco, but wanted something in the interim. It will not be my long-term plan. It will probably eventually become something I use to tuck it somewhere in the car. The Versa Carry holster had me intrigued, but decided against it after reading some online mixed-reviews.

That's my sweet-and-short. Here's a couple pics.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Sweet, OP.

I see your XD is a .40SW. I'm debating going for the XD-S in 9mm or waiting for it to come out in .40SW to match my EDC XD. Did you consider that? Or was that not really a concern for you as you contemplated pulling that trigger?

nickf2005

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Sweet, OP.

I see your XD is a .40SW. I'm debating going for the XD-S in 9mm or waiting for it to come out in .40SW to match my EDC XD. Did you consider that? Or was that not really a concern for you as you contemplated pulling that trigger?

That was concern #1... that a little after I bought the 9MM, they'd release a .40S&W. However, after a few discussions here and some lurking over at XDtalk, I'm not convinced they are going to release a .40S&W in the XDs. If they do, then I lost that bet. However, I was looking for a EDC gun now, and didn't feel like waiting around for Springfield to grace us with it. If you're happy with carrying your XD now, then wait another year to see if they make a move. If you're looking to make a change now, then get the 9mm. I've decided that's it's not too big of a deal keeping 2 calibers in the house. I have way less to worry about then some guys with nearly every caliber known in their closet. Like said before, I was very surprised to find the 9mm at Wal-Mart. Last time I went, they did not at the Emerson and E. Washington locations.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Congratulations on the new gun. I picked one up in 45 for the wife about a month ago. She has loved it from day one. The trigger on hers has improved through use, lots of dry fire will help without burning up the ammo.

As far as the caliber change up, I look at it as diversifying the portfolio. The more calibers you own and shoot, the better your odds at finding ammo to shoot in something that you own in a dry time. I started out with the "one caliber" mentality, but I have learned that different sized guns typically work better in a caliber suited to the size. That, and its just fun to have options when you go to the range.

nickf2005

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Congratulations on the new gun. I picked one up in 45 for the wife about a month ago. She has loved it from day one. The trigger on hers has improved through use, lots of dry fire will help without burning up the ammo.

As far as the caliber change up, I look at it as diversifying the portfolio. The more calibers you own and shoot, the better your odds at finding ammo to shoot in something that you own in a dry time. I started out with the "one caliber" mentality, but I have learned that different sized guns typically work better in a caliber suited to the size. That, and its just fun to have options when you go to the range.

Glad to hear that maybe the trigger will get better with time. I read that dry firing the XDm/s series guns was hard on some roll pins, resulting in premature pin failure. Any truth to that?

8th SPS USAF

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hobart , In
    I have the XDs in 9 and 45. 9mm is sweat and a great shooter. I take it is post recall? I had a PRP spring kit installed in both and improved the trigger. I also bought the PRP X Treme rubber grips. At this time there is nothing out there about a 40 XDs. 4" 9mm XDs is out, but I am waiting and hoping for a 4" XDs 45???

nickf2005

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I have the XDs in 9 and 45. 9mm is sweat and a great shooter. I take it is post recall? I had a PRP spring kit installed in both and improved the trigger. I also bought the PRP X Treme rubber grips. At this time there is nothing out there about a 40 XDs. 4" 9mm XDs is out, but I am waiting and hoping for a 4" XDs 45???

It is post recall. Had a serial number outside the affected numbers and a roll pin in the grip safety.

I'm thinking the tight trigger is leading to a bit of my inaccuracies down and to the left. Just takes some practice! My XDm basically shoots itself.

dthm03

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2013
    fort wayne
    Just ordered my XD-s .45. Hoping I enjoy it as much as everyone here. Has anyone used the Alien Gear holster? I saw their add on the back of a magazine. Its a lot cheaper than the HHH holsters and other brands but reviews say they are just as good. Was hoping those of you with an XDs could say what you use to carry with. I would start a new thread, but I do not have enough posts yet!

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    Congrats. I love mine. You'll get it dialed in as far as low and left. Put the green fiber in. It's much better. IMHO of course. Careful not to scratch the finish.
    Happy shooting.:rockwoot:

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Glad to hear that maybe the trigger will get better with time. I read that dry firing the XDm/s series guns was hard on some roll pins, resulting in premature pin failure. Any truth to that?

I did do a little digging on the subject before I sat the wife in front of a target and had her "snapping in" with hers. Everything I found did not indicate that it was any worse than actually shooting the gun. I did see something about a roll pin that takes a bit of a beating, but that was with/without live ammo, and just something that needs replaced from time to time. I know that there are some other pistols that I have worked with that dry fire is very bad for, but so far it has bee fine with the XDs.

nickf2005

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I did do a little digging on the subject before I sat the wife in front of a target and had her "snapping in" with hers. Everything I found did not indicate that it was any worse than actually shooting the gun. I did see something about a roll pin that takes a bit of a beating, but that was with/without live ammo, and just something that needs replaced from time to time. I know that there are some other pistols that I have worked with that dry fire is very bad for, but so far it has bee fine with the XDs.

Good to know. Thanks!

I am trying to find an excuse for the wife and I to go bumming around, just so I can carry. :)

flyboy84

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    I really enjoy shooting my xds45 and would sometime like to get a little range time with the 9mm. Hope your gun brings you plenty of enjoyment.

Top Bottom