• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    So, my two main carry guns have been my CZ P01, and a Kel Tec PF9.

I love the CZ, but it's just a little too heavy for all the time, and in some clothes it's not that easy to conceal. I'm too aware.

The Kel Tec conceals great of course, but I'm just not fully confident with it. I'm not a great shot with it, and it's got that low capacity problem.

I wanted something light in between for most days of carry. Something big enough that I could shoot it well, but small and light enough that it was comfortable to carry all the time.

I checked out the Glock 26, the Smith n Wesson M P compact, the Walther PPS, the CZ Rami, and everything similar. My final choice was.....

The Ruger SR9c. This thing is great. It has all the best attributes of all the choices and is truly outstanding in several areas. Here's what I like:

1. Thin grips. I don't like thick grips.
    2. Capacity. It comes with a ten round mag for easy concealment, and a 17 rounder.
    3. Flexibility. In addition to the two mags, it comes with two magazine plates for the ten round mag. One is flat, for max concealment, and the other has a grip extention that allows me to get my whole front foot on the grip.
    4. The 17 round mag also extends the grip to the same as a full size pistol, and this feels great.
    5. Adjustable sights.
    6. A fantastic short crisp trigger.

It was the best choice in all the areas I thought were important and it had several great attributes I didn't know I needed.

Haven't been to the range with it, but I'll let you know.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Got to handle that pistol at the last gun show I attended. I liked the feel of it. Would like to hear the good, bad and the ugly with your range experience with it.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    I love my SR9c, for all the same reasons. I carry in an OWB holster and have no problems concealing with just a loose t-shirt. I am still getting myself used to the slightly heavier trigger than my last EDC, which was a single action.

I am looking at getting a hybrid IWB holster made up for it, as I think that it would still be very comfortable carried there as well. I am considering a crimson trace laser for it as well, that is what is holding me off on the holster at the moment. If I decide on the laser then I will get the holster made to fit it with it attached.

So far it has ran 400 rounds of multiple types/brands of ammo with no feeding or ejection issues. The only thing I ran into was a failure to lock the slide back on an empty mag, twice in the first 3 I ran through it. But that was determined to be me riding my thumb up over the slide lock. A slight adjustment to my grip and no problems since.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    A buddy of mine has one, he likes it a lot. Another close friend just got a Kahr CW9, that's a nice thin carry option! I don't know jack about them but it conceals well. Congrats on the new piece!

PA2Ind

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2011
    St. Joseph Co.
    This is my EDC, I love it! it is big enough that I don't feel like it is too small, yet it is thin. I carry mine in a Desanti Cozy partner(for a glock 26). It doesn't fit perfect, but it does retain it well and covers the tigger. Only negative on the Cozy partner is that it keeps leaning foward(pefect for someone who carries at the 4-6 o'clock postion). I carry at 3'clock so I will be replacing the Desanti(quailty it great though!). SR9c has shot perfect, hope this helps.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Congrats on making your decision! Great choice too! The sr9c is a nice handgun and a pleasure to shoot. I am sure it will serve you well :yesway:

theturtle06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Does anyone know if the SR9c will fit the same holsters as the SR9?

Hello fellow Coloradan!

They do fit the same holsters, albeit with room at the muzzle end of the holster.

The SR series of pistols are a competitive alternative to the big three polymer guns - the value notwithstanding. Saving a bit of money compared to the B3 is a great bonus they offer. Reliable, durable, but not particularly fancy - Ruger's trademarks. I can't shoot them worth a crap and with my grip, my support hand palm hits the mag release and drops the mag out, but I cannot blame the gun for problems I induce in it. It should treat you quite well.

The baseplate with the pinky rest makes a huge difference in shooting mechanics but won't hurt the concalibility all that much. You might wanna check out trying the pinky plate for carry!

Last edited:

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    I think the SR9c is the perfect gun for the "man with one gun" or as a first gun.

There is nothing wrong with it for pistol veterans, but it has features which suit the Noob very well.

Easy to shoot.
    Nice trigger out of the box.
    Nice grip with options.
    Safety features CAN be reassuring for first timers.
    Reliable.
    Good support.

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence

Holsters for both should be the same and I've found that holsters for the Glock 26 or 31 will work pretty well. I've had no problems at all with my SR9c but do find the small dots for the rear sights hard to see. I think it's one of the best guns for the money and chose it over a Clock and a XD, it just carries a lot easier with the same accuracy and reliability.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011

As the others have said, Yes they will. From what I have seen (which isn't much) the majority of holsters are made for the SR9, and packaged/labeled as such. but since the frame is the same minus the barrel and grip length, the SR9c's lock in and hold just as securely.

I have been carrying with out the pinky extention on mine, mostly because of a printing issue I had with it. The holster I carry in, being an OWB, I found I had to go to the flat bottom base plate. Once I get an IWB I am looking at trying out the pinkey extention again. Because it does have a noticable effect on my grouping and recoil management.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    A very good friend of mine carries a Kahr 9mm and he swears by it. I was comparing it to my XD9SC and it was quite a bit more narrow. I cannot attest to the dependability, but it looked like a sound sidearm.

Top Bottom