• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Can people now wear campaign stuff at the polls? I wonder how many MAGA hats are gonna be worn this November 6th?

I think it's fine as long as you're a private citizen and not working at the polls.

Illegal in Indiana, and I believe but not sure most if not all states. In IN it's a class A misdemeanor.
    IC 3-14-3-16 Electioneering
    Sec. 16. (a) As used in this section, "electioneering" includes expressing support or opposition to any candidate or political party or expressing approval or disapproval of any public question in any manner that could reasonably be expected to convey that support or opposition to another individual. The term includes wearing or displaying an article of clothing, sign, button, or placard that states the name of any political party or includes the name, picture, photograph, or other likeness of any currently elected federal, state, county, or local official. The term does not include expressing support or opposition to a candidate or a political party or expressing approval or disapproval of a public question in:
    (1) material mailed to a voter; or
    (2) a telephone or an electronic communication with a voter.

(b) A person who knowingly does any electioneering:
    (1) on election day within:
    (A) the polls; or
    (B) the chute;
    (2) within an area in the office of the circuit court clerk or a satellite office of the circuit court clerk established under IC 3-11-10-26.3 used by an absentee voter board to permit an individual to cast an absentee ballot; or
    (3) except for a voter who is:
    (A) the person's spouse;
    (B) an incapacitated person (as defined in IC 29-3-1-7.5) for whom the person has been appointed the guardian (as defined in IC 29-3-1-6); or
    (C) a member of the person's household;
    in the presence of a voter whom the person knows possesses an absentee ballot provided to the voter in accordance with Indiana law;

commits a Class A misdemeanor.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I used to enjoy taking part in the process with the masses on Election Day. But life is much busier now. I voted last Tuesday at the County Election office. I had a meeting one floor down so it seemed silly not to.

Having voted, I am extra tired of the ads. Started to get a swarm of local & regional Kentucky stuff not too. Interesting that state senate & house candidates are running ID campaigns not issue ones. The ads are most all "I'm with Trump" or "He's a Pelosi supporter".

EMDX6043

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2015
    Hammond
    Sec. 16. (a) As used in this section, "electioneering"...The term includes wearing or displaying an article of clothing, sign, button, or placard that states the name of any political party or includes the name, picture, photograph, or other likeness of any currently elected federal, state, county, or local official...

"MAGA" fits that description?? :dunno:

I'm not trying to being belligerent :D

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    "MAGA" fits that description?? :dunno:

I'm not trying to being belligerent :D

Sec. 16. (a) As used in this section, "electioneering" includes expressing support or opposition to any candidate or political party or expressing approval or disapproval of any public question in any manner that could reasonably be expected to convey that support or opposition to another individual. The term includes wearing or displaying an article of clothing, sign, button, or placard that states the name of any political party or includes the name, picture, photograph, or other likeness of any currently elected federal, state, county, or local official.

Would it fit the bolded portion? IMO yes. A slogan that is well known to be linked to the President, and that is printed on hats sold by his campaign I would say definitely fits. Also notice it says includes, not is limited to.

That's not to say you couldn't wear it up to iirc 100 ft of the entrance to the polls and take it off so it couldn't been seen, then put it back on when you're 100 ft away.

EMDX6043

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2015
    Hammond
    So according to the law, someone can't wear this?

elephant-face-t-shirt-the-mountain.jpg

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    So according to the law, someone can't wear this?

I'd say that one would be okay. While the GOP does use an elephant for it's symbol, it's not that elephant. Although if it was two toned blue on top, red on bottom, with a couple of stars across it's forehead then yes quite possibly illegal within the polls/chute if visible. But a couple of more things, is that t-shirt sold by a political party/campaign for fund raising? Is it a registered trademark for political purposes by anyone? MAGA is.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I voted today, it was my day off. It was busier than I had expected and the process could have been a bit easier, so things moved somewhat slowly.

All told...I'd do it again. This process overall ended up being a bit quicker and less frustrating than voting at my usual polling place, which makes it that little bit more attractive. I'll probably do this again in 2020.

If you have the ability to use early voting it isn't a bad option (at least in Marion County), and I recommend tying it.

ETA: Carried without issue there (concealed). G17 under my NRA-ILA embroidered fleece...no issues whatsoever.

EMDX6043

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2015
    Hammond
    I'd say that one would be okay. While the GOP does use an elephant for it's symbol, it's not that elephant. Although if it was two toned blue on top, red on bottom, with a couple of stars across it's forehead then yes quite possibly illegal within the polls/chute if visible. But a couple of more things, is that t-shirt sold by a political party/campaign for fund raising? Is it a registered trademark for political purposes by anyone? MAGA is.

Is it too early for "KAG"?

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Went to vote today at 52nd and Keystone. It was about 2:45pm and the guy at the door said it would be about 1 1/2 hours. I'll try again some other time.

Bob

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I always vote early. Starting Monday the 29th, more locations will be open. A church by our house is on the list.

The courthouse has been open to vote for a couple weeks. Last time I voted there it was packed. Hour wait. I think it was 2012...

Top Bottom