Finding my first gun, not asking for recommendations.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    First time pistol shoot this May. Have shot 1,500 rounds (going weekly) at the range with a Smith & Wesson Victory .22lr, Browning Buck Mark .22lr, and 50 rounds with a Glock 19.

Want to get a pistol that is fun to shoot so I shoot it often (at least every two weeks), so I will be comfortable and very familiar with it. It may become a carry pistol.

Have gone to 3 shops in town (Lafayette), and Indy 1500 gun show. Have held dozens of pistols and revolvers. Full size 9mm are just too big, holding the gun correctly does not allow my finger to be on the trigger correctly. Compact/Subcompact 9mm fit me, but everyone tells me they will not be fun to shoot.

Been building a spreadsheet with gun dimensions, H, W, thickness, barrel length, sight distance, capacity, weight, trigger pull so I can compare similar sized guns. If I have held brand/model X and like it, I should also try brand/models A, B, and C if they are a similar size. Same for the don't likes.

I have my eye on a Browning 1911-380 Black Label. They feel great in my hand and good trigger reach. All the reviews on Youtube were good, even one from a .380 hater.

Was a bit surprised to find out that if I bought a gun and then shot it later that day and didn't like it, I could not return it. How do you all decide on what to buy? What do you do if you don't like it? Just sell it?

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    If you are not asking for recommendations...?

You need to hold and shoot the weapon system, be it rifle, pistol, or shotgun.

If it feels good, but shoots like crap in your hands, leave it.
    If it feels like crap, but shoots well in your hands, consider it.
    If it feels great, and shoots well in your hands, buy it.

If you find the 1911 is to your liking, buy carefully, then take a class on how to run it and keep it running. I like the platform and the concept of it, but the 1911 is not a decision to be taken lightly.

It would NOT be my recommendation for a beginner's carry pistola.

-Nate

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    The things that I do not like, fall out of love with, etc get sold/traded into something else.

If you like the size of the G19, I also presume that you'll like the M&P 9c. Roughly the same size - just down a bit on capacity.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Was a bit surprised to find out that if I bought a gun and then shot it later that day and didn't like it, I could not return it. How do you all decide on what to buy? What do you do if you don't like it? Just sell it?

You're doing it right. Go to as many gun shops and hold as many as you can. Go to ranges and rent as many as you can. Post a thread on here and ask for a meet and shoot. Most on here will be more than willing to help you out and will let you shoot a variety of guns they have.

But yeah if you decided down the road that a particular gun is not for you, pretty much sell it. Or trade it in on another but you will usually get screwed by the gun shop that way.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine

It's like buying a car. Once you sign on the line and get behind the wheel, it's used. Period. No returns, but they'll buy it back from you for a fraction of the price.

A lot of ranges have rentals, you can try a variety and see what you like. Personally, I know Glocks don't feel right in my hand, so I went the M&P route. Now I guess I'm a fan boy and have the whole line up just because.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    FWIW, my fiancé and I bought a Walther PPQ (mine) and a PPS (hers) in February. She liked how the PPS fit her, but a few trips to the range she found it to be snappy and wasn't having fun. Since three we sold the PPS and she has taken over my PPQ. We swapped the backstrap to the small one and it resolved the fitment issue for her. the larger PPQ is more funfor her to shoot without being too large.

I share this not to push the Walther, but the importance of fitment and that, generally, the smaller you go the more you feel the recoil.

With so many options having different back strap options it could be a simple solution for a large pistol to fit better than imagined. I've never asked a shop to try the different backstraps so I don't know if they would be willing to do that.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Follow the recent threads by doddg...rent guns...ask for range sharing on here (buy ammo and lunch for the owner). Lots of people are happy to share (for free food).

Don't get too caught up in the spreadsheet (I have the same over analytical tendencies...). Its about feel and shoot-ability. I have more than one rifle or pistol that was the PERFECT gun on paper and just didn't work as well for me as something else. It's trail and error until you learn what works for you and then its still trial and error.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    pick one. then practice.
    part of getting good is adjusting to the gun. no gun will fit you perfectly.
    I see this all the time... people keep trading guns and trying guns looking for something "perfect." you will get much better with an attitude that you can figure out what you need to do to get better, and spending the time dryfiring and shooting, than you ever will with spreadsheets and watching youtube and bouncing from one gun to the next.

2c

-rvb

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    pick one. then practice.
    I see this all the time... people keep trading guns and trying guns looking for something "perfect." you will get much better with an attitude that you can figure out what you need to do to get better, and spending the time dryfiring and shooting, than you ever will with spreadsheets and watching youtube and bouncing from one gun to the next.

2c

-rvb

Listen to Ryan!!! Yes how a gun fits affects how you shoot it, and I have seen handguns that were way to large or small for a particular person. But those guns were either very small or very large. Today's medium sized handguns can be made to fit most shooters. If the .380 1911 feels good in your hand then buy it and learn to shoot it. Only issue with .380 will be the cost of ammo, 9mm will be more affordable.

Nitro

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 24, 2017
    Columbus
    I start with what feels good in my hands. Move to how I hold it and look down it. Next dry fire it to see how I move when squeezing the trigger. After that I go home and do a bunch of research. If I like what I am reading I try to find a local place that has one and see if they will let me shoot it. If not I might try to hunt down a friend that has one to see if I like it. If not you can always buy it shoot it and sell it if you don't like it. Nice part about this amazing forum is they have the buy/sell section. I am sure someone on here would take you out shooting if they have the firearm that you are looking to buy. It is more of a reason to meet people and to go shoot!! Good Luck in your search!

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    pick one. then practice.

2c

-rvb

Truth. Most of us here have spent too much time/money chasing guns when we should just be training. Go with what you like and learn to shoot well.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Follow the recent threads by doddg...rent guns...ask for range sharing on here (buy ammo and lunch for the owner). Lots of people are happy to share (for free food).

Don't get too caught up in the spreadsheet (I have the same over analytical tendencies...). Its about feel and shoot-ability. I have more than one rifle or pistol that was the PERFECT gun on paper and just didn't work as well for me as something else. It's trail and error until you learn what works for you and then its still trial and error.

1. When I saw this thread, I thought, "Wow! This is where I was in May!"
    2. I will enjoy following his journey since I'm only 4 mos. ahead of him in experience.
    3. I like his approach with the spreadsheet, keeping track of overall length, weight, probably width, and etc.: my kind of guy.
    4. He will learn like me that a gun can be great on paper, but not fit your hand (like my experience with my Walther M-2 LE), and I will end up selling it, or trading it for a Shield 9mm, which I had a chance to do, but I thought my Walther should have a little money added to it for a Shield since it had 3 different mags and night sights, which the Shield didn't.
    5. I was advised to rent, rent, rent and I should have done more of it and intend to do so now, buy getting a Point Blank range membership where I can rent a gun for $10 and exchange it for another while I'm there, which I could probably do about 4 in an hour: pretty good value! :laugh:
    6. I liked the Shield much more on my 2nd rental, which was interesting.
    7. My big advice: keep reading, reading and reading.
    8. I check the classifieds here and on Armslist every day, and buy when I can't help myself b/c I educate myself on what is a good price (one that I will be able to sell for in a week or couple of months, ha!).

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    pick one. then practice.
    2c
    -rvb

1. But, I love the reading, research, youtube vids and bouncing from one gun to the next! :laugh:
    2. I almost bought a Colt 22 this week ($300), but it sold out from under me.
    3. I thought about buying a Ruger LC9 Pro selling here for $295, and selling my Ruger LC9 for $250 to get the better trigger, but mine already had the safety and magazine thing done to it, so since it is only a carry piece, I don't mind the harder trigger pull, I decided to not buy.
    4. Then, there is a 45 Shield I have been eyeing for sale, but I thought I'd rent one first since it is above my usual used gun price point, and I don't have a feel for 45mm prices, or whether I'd want to keep a 45: I've been advised to go with the 9mm Shield, not the 45 Shield.
    5. It goes on and on for me, every night: better than TV.

Redlinetoys

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2016
    Northern Indiana
    Definitely recommend renting and trying different guns. It might be hard to rent the one you are interested in, but perhaps someone selling used would allow you some trial shots.

There can be such a big difference in how each gun feels, even within "equivalent" type platforms.

Good luck! Have fun!

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Rent, try. Took me years to find out what I like and don't like and now I'm set in my ways.

Training should be a must and a priority.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Compact/Subcompact 9mm fit me, but everyone tells me they will not be fun to shoot.

"Everyone" is full of crap. The compact/subcompact 9mm describes a pretty large chunk of the market. The Glock 19 is, arguably, the gun that every other semi-auto carry gun is compared against. Single stacks like the Shield are incredibly popular carry options.

Go to a rental range, shoot a bunch of stuff. Pick ONE. Get some training. Then once you know what you're actually looking for, reevaluate if you want to stick with that gun or not.

I'd at least try the Shield, XD-S, Glock 26, Glock 17 (Striker fired), Sig P229 (hammer fired), and LCR (revolver) to get an idea of what you like.

Also note that not all "full sized" 9mm have the same reach, and many of different trigger/grip/backstrap combinations to make them shorter. Unless you're REALLY tiny, a P226/P229 with an E2 grip and a short reach trigger would allow you to have a natural grip.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    pick one. then practice.

2c

-rvb

+ wherever we are at this point. You can't equipment yourself to good shooting. I know. I have tried so many guns and I still can't seem to grasp the aspect of shooting well.

My brother has the philosophy that you should be able to pick up anything and shoot it at least decently well.

He is slowly but surely climbing the IDPA classifications in 5 different divisions.

Me? I'd be happy if I could get proficient with ONE pistol and ONE rifle.:)

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    "Everyone" is full of crap. The compact/subcompact 9mm describes a pretty large chunk of the market. The Glock 19 is, arguably, the gun that every other semi-auto carry gun is compared against. Single stacks like the Shield are incredibly popular carry options.

Go to a rental range, shoot a bunch of stuff. Pick ONE. Get some training. Then once you know what you're actually looking for, reevaluate if you want to stick with that gun or not.

I'd at least try the Shield, XD-S, Glock 26, Glock 17 (Striker fired), Sig P229 (hammer fired), and LCR (revolver) to get an idea of what you like.

Also note that not all "full sized" 9mm have the same reach, and many of different trigger/grip/backstrap combinations to make them shorter. Unless you're REALLY tiny, a P226/P229 with an E2 grip and a short reach trigger would allow you to have a natural grip.

But but but..... don't forget that what is really a compact handgun like a Glock 19 is now considered full size. It seems that when people new to handguns start shopping guns such as the S&W Shield are now "compact" and even smaller handguns are "subcompact". By modern standards guns such as a Glock 26 or Glock 19 are huge by comparison. It's all about perspective.

OP listen to BBI. The "subcompact/compact" polymer handgun market is flush with choices right now. It is a consumers market.

My favorite carry gun is a compact 1911, otherwise known as a commander size gun. See what I did there? :cool:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    But but but..... don't forget that what is really a compact handgun like a Glock 19 is now considered full size. It seems that when people new to handguns start shopping guns such as the S&W Shield are now "compact" and even smaller handguns are "subcompact". By modern standards guns such as a Glock 26 or Glock 19 are huge by comparison. It's all about perspective.

OP listen to BBI. The "subcompact/compact" polymer handgun market is flush with choices right now. It is a consumers market.

My favorite carry gun is a compact 1911, otherwise known as a commander size gun. See what I did there? :cool:

LOL. I like that! I consider my Shield as a single stack 9. Not a compact. Though it is rather compact. Not a sub since it's not under anything. It's a Goldilocks pistol. Not too big, not too small...just right.:)

Top Bottom