• ...and so much more!
  • fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    all this chatter about how the sign has to be worded a particular way for it to hold any water, as far as trespassing goes. But no examples a "no guns" sign means diddily but what does it have to say to mean squat?

BigBlock502

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Indianapolis
    If a place really wants to enforce a no guns policy then you’d do more than just a little sign. The sign that I saw at AMC was no more then 5”x5” near the bottom of one of the outside doors. 95% of people are going to miss that sign.
    I think these signs are really there just cover the store, restaurant or whatevers butt incase something happens. They can always point to their sign and say “you see, no weapons allowed. You did not listen, we’re not at fault”… for whatever may have happened.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    all this chatter about how the sign has to be worded a particular way for it to hold any water, as far as trespassing goes. But no examples a "no guns" sign means diddily but what does it have to say to mean squat?

There was an example posted a while back. I think it by Tactical Firearms Training (Guy).

His example of a sign that could be a denial was along the lines of:

"No one in possession of any fiearm is authorized entry onto this property. This sign constitutes a specific denial of entry to any person possessing a firearm and will constitute trespassing with no further warning."

I'm not saying that the wording has to be exactly like that since the IC has no specific wording requirement for ANY no trespassing sign to be legally enforceable but you can't get much more specific than that.

There is also no size requirement. It just has to be posted at any entrance that could come to the attention of the public.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    There was an example posted a while back. I think it by Tactical Firearms Training (Guy).

His example of a sign that could be a denial was along the lines of:

"No one in possession of any fiearm is authorized entry onto this property. This sign constitutes a specific denial of entry to any person possessing a firearm and will constitute trespassing with no further warning."

I'm not saying that the wording has to be exactly like that since the IC has no specific wording requirement for ANY no trespassing sign to be legally enforceable but you can't get much more specific than that.

There is also no size requirement. It just has to be posted at any entrance that could come to the attention of the public.

thank you I must have missed that.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    ok

dont forget post offices
    Alright,

So I've gathered that generally you do not want to carry to the mall, any government buildings, the airport, and no school properties. Are there any others that are just known places for "no firearms"?

I know that it is my responsibility to not carry into a building/grounds if I see a sign posted. Where should I look for these signs? I haven't ever seen the signs necessarily, except at the City/County building in Fort Wayne. Do not that many places have signs posted (aside from the aforementioned locations) or am I just not looking in the right place?:dunno::n00b:

TIA

Edit: fixed paste issue

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    signs

signs like these are for legal reasons in case there is an incident...they can deny any liability because their policy is "no guns"...so if a bad guy gets shot or shoots somebody they are free and clear of the lawsuit...but if they did not have a sign reflecting their policy one could construe that they are liable because they allow firearms on the premises...they do have the right to tell you leave if you open carry but this is why i conceal carry
    If a place really wants to enforce a no guns policy then you’d do more than just a little sign. The sign that I saw at AMC was no more then 5”x5” near the bottom of one of the outside doors. 95% of people are going to miss that sign.
    I think these signs are really there just cover the store, restaurant or whatevers butt incase something happens. They can always point to their sign and say “you see, no weapons allowed. You did not listen, we’re not at fault”… for whatever may have happened.

Top Bottom