• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GingerGlockGirl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2013
    As I very eargerly await my permit, I am starting to do a lot of research on what type of holster would work best for me. I am an EMT by day, and on my days off you can most likely find me in jeans. I have heard things about the Smart Carry or lots of different IWB holsters. I will be carrying a Glock 26. What has worked well and what has not worked so well?

Thanks!

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    Choosing a holster tends to be a personal preference thing. It would be like picking out shoes or a tie for someone else. For instance, I prefer leather OWB. This may or may not appeal or work for you.

I would suggest putting yourself in a situation/place where you can try on or borrow a holster for a time to decide what you prefer or feels the best for you.

I tend to read beaucoup reviews to see if I can detect a negative or defect inherent in the design or workmanship that would be a deal breaker. Anything else is personal preference.

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    There is no single answer to this one.
    You will likely end up with multiple holsters to cover a variety of carry situations and needs. Carrying OWB is probably the most comfortable and distributes the weight of the weapon well/evenly. A great choice for the range too but difficult to conceal in the summer or with minimal clothing etc. Some are threaded onto a belt which some like better than the paddle style that fit over the belt and are trapped via tension. While difficult to remove by an assailant these can be removed quite easily by the wearer (say if entering a gun free zone, or if driving etc).
    These also offer various retention options. Some have a strap, snap or button to push/activate to "release" your weapon.
    IWB holsters are more concealable since at least 40-50% ofthe holster/weapon is hidden just by this method of carry. You will need to have space in your clothing to accomodate the wespon & holster (about 2"). Most people have excess space available at the 4 to 8 O' clock area but many do not like to carry there or rather don't want to be restricted to only those area's. Some insist to dress around the gun not the other way around. You will need to determine your level of commitment, comfort level and needs. Excellent choice for your carry piece by the way :)
    Hybrids offer a combination. Both in material and carry options. You can change out the attachment method so it is possible to carry OWB or IWB with the same holster. There are also some minimalist type holsters like the Vanguard by RCS which cover you trigger effectively but offer less bulk and support or a standard type holster.
    I have good experience with the Remora holster which is a fabric style IWB holster which is very versatile. You can also push the holster between car seat and console when driving.
    Plastic & kydex easier to clean and don't hold water/chemicals but some people enjoy the softness/comfort of leather.
    Good luck whatever you decide on and excellent choice for your carry weapon.

mmaddox

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Gila Hayes' book is a great place to start. Visiting with other users is another good choice. A good, experienced instructor would also be invaluable. We often have new users trying 6-12 before finding what they like, and even then it gets upgraded down the road. Please do not take the "it works for suggestion". Using it becomes the best test.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    You need to decide HOW (OC/CC/don't care; IWB, OWB, forehead duct tape) you want to carry first. Wouldn't do any good to suggest the Blackhawk Serpa if you'd adamantly opposed to OC. Likewise, IWB hasn't worked well for me at all. I hated it. But you may find that an IWB option is golden. (Incidentally, I do carry a Glock 26 in a Blackhawk Serpa.)

Better to do your own research on holster options, then ask for specific reviews from INGOers and others for the 2 or 3 that you think are tops on your list. The alternative is to get 15 different answers from a 12 different people, 7 of whom are carrying in rigs you won't ever consider. :D

Kloutz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2013
    In the center of it all
    I would suggest putting yourself in a situation/place where you can try on or borrow a holster for a time to decide what you prefer or feels the best for you.

I have numerous, unused holsters laying around everywhere because it takes wearing one for some amount of time to come to a good understanding of how it is going to work for you. Borrowing different holsters would be ideal, but not always possible. At the very least, ask to try the holster on at the store before you buy it. Most places will be glad to let you try it out. While not a substitute for wearing it all day, it is better than nothing.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    I'll throw this out:
    I also carry a G26 and my wife a G19. ...
    between the two of us we have several holsters that fit both guns.

Remember you do not HAVE TO (legally) CC - you can OC
    OC is generally more comfortable.
    You have other options as well:

You probably want more than 1 holster. I have 3 typcially used.
    - an IWB for when i want to be more 'discrete'
    - an OWB for when that is not necessary - I can still CC if I un-tuck my shirt
    - a different OWB that is not as good, but has a retention strap for when hunting.

My wife shares 2 of my holsters - or has - we recently got her a "holster purse"
    - she still wants 2 more
    - 1 IWB of her own
    - - We are going to one of the local Kydex Vendors to get it made to suit her needs.
    - - (see site sponsor section)
    - and a good OWB (I have 2 other but they're mediocre for her)

On a related note - she hates to wear a belt - which is a 'requisit' for most holsters.

We also have a shoulder rig, though it hasn't been worn in a while and it is lower end.

Good luck, Welcome to the world of Carrying and congrats on a good carry EDC choice.

Molly Belle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I'm still new to carrying, but so far my favorite holster is the Foxx holster. It is a hybrid similar to the Crossbreed. The style is very comfortable, and works well with jeans, or even skirts.

MangoTango

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    and not all kydex are the same. I had 2 different Kydex holsters but was not happy until I waited for a Raven. Also the more you carry the more your demands for comfort and maybe concealment change. Over the last 2 years I have not only changed my holster but changed where I carry. Also as many have said, some situation require different holsters.

Top Bottom