Fined for haivng a car parked in front of our house??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fallenangel1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    So I am a little upset .. I came home today to 3 envelopes with 2 citations for zoning ordinance violations from the City of Indianapolis Dept of Code Enforcement.

One is a notification of a First Offense along with a $50 fine for "Revised Code 621-127 - Outdoor storage of and inoperable vehicle". It goes on to say that I owe $50 and if I don't pay within 7 days it goes up to $75 and then says that if I don't pay within 10 days I will be subject to "an administrative or judicial proceeding and may be fined up to $2500".

I want to know when it was not "ok" for me to store whatever I wanted (as long as it was safe and legal) on my own property. The "inoperable" vehicle is actually drivable, we just choose not to drive it.

We have total of 4 cars, and we have a narrow driveway and with the way our house and garage sit on our lot we have a small back yard. Our 2 2012 Mazda's that we drive every day are kept in the garage at the back of our property and we have two early 90's cars that we leave parked out front. There's ~80-100' from the road to the front of our house and due to the narrow driveway so they happen to be parked in the grass.

The day this Code Enforcer stopped in our driveway one of our new cars happened to be in the shop so we were driving one of the old cars. The one we are being fined over will start and run and drives just fine. Although because we never drive it, it does not have up to date plates on it. I have looked around online in an effort to find out Indianapolis' defined explanation of what makes a car an "inoperable vehicle".

Obviously we feel this is ridiculous, the car is operable we just choose to not drive it and because we don't drive it we choose to not pay the state for the plates since it never sees a public roadway. Not to mention the fact that we were fined immediatley, no warning or "heads up" about the ordinance. Just a letter in the mail saying you owe us money pay it or we will charge you a late fee and if you still don't pay it we will take you to court!

Heck, even an abandoned vehicle on the high way gets a sticker notifying the owner that if it's not moved that they will haul it away.

That's the other thing that upsets us.. if we want to pay the fine we can do that easily through their website. But if we want to deny the violation we have to appear in person at their downtown office. We have jobs! We can't just take a day off work to fight these silly citations!

Things like this just annoy me to all ends! It's not like the car is a rusted out heap on blocks with no motor or something like that. We actually have a couple people a month stop by offering to buy the cars. So they may be old beaters but they don't look that bad!

So does anyone have any experience with stuff like this? We'd love to fight it, but due to it not have current plates I'm not sure we have a legal leg to stand on.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I've had this issue before. In my case the car DIDN'T run, but I was told that the fact that it had expired plates is what made in "inoperable". You can't legally drive a car with expired plates on it so that makes it technically inoperable (in the legal sense anyway). I was also told that as long as it was on my property and had proper plates on it, they would leave me alone. Fortunately I was given the option to get the plates renewed (which I did immediately) and the whole thing was dropped. I got the car up and running a few months later and still drive it currently, but they said as long as it had valid plates and wasn't parked in the street or something they didn't care if it didn't run. My suggestion would be to go get it plated, then make some calls explaining the situation and see if there's any way you can get out of the fine without having to appear.

fallenangel1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Car on the grass in the front yard? That's an Abrams tank pointed at your neighbors.

Haha .. I'm not a real outgoing neighbor, so I don't really talk to my neighbors. But we smile and wave and all that and if were all out cutting the grass at the same time I will weed eat their trees or bushes that are near the property line too! One of my neighbors has (what seems like) more vehicles than we do along with a couple trailers one of which all camo'd up. So if I were do a desert camo paint job on the cars it would fit right in with what he has out there! :)

fallenangel1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    I've had this issue before. In my case the car DIDN'T run, but I was told that the fact that it had expired plates is what made in "inoperable". You can't legally drive a car with expired plates on it so that makes it technically inoperable (in the legal sense anyway). I was also told that as long as it was on my property and had proper plates on it, they would leave me alone. Fortunately I was given the option to get the plates renewed (which I did immediately) and the whole thing was dropped. I got the car up and running a few months later and still drive it currently, but they said as long as it had valid plates and wasn't parked in the street or something they didn't care if it didn't run. My suggestion would be to go get it plated, then make some calls explaining the situation and see if there's any way you can get out of the fine without having to appear.

See that right there is proof that they are just cruising around looking for ways to fine people. That is what makes this so absurd to me, they don't care about anything except lining the city's pockets so that they can have a job. I don't feel that we should be paying people to drive around looking for ways to stick it to honest upstanding citizens.

As for the car, I actually sold it to a buddy of mine already. Its just been sitting there waiting for him to come pick it up. The cars have been out there for a year or so now. We've never had any idea that we could get fined for having them out there.

Another thing that bugs me, this lady had to drive on to our property to get the (expired) plate numbers. The car is sitting pretty far back off the road and it is facing the road so there is no way that she could have seen the plates just passing by. There has to be something about not trespassing. Then again, its the city and they do what their pound of flesh! :xmad:

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    See that right there is proof that they are just cruising around looking for ways to fine people. That is what makes this so absurd to me, they don't care about anything except lining the city's pockets so that they can have a job. I don't feel that we should be paying people to drive around looking for ways to stick it to honest upstanding citizens.

As for the car, I actually sold it to a buddy of mine already. Its just been sitting there waiting for him to come pick it up. The cars have been out there for a year or so now. We've never had any idea that we could get fined for having them out there.

Another thing that bugs me, this lady had to drive on to our property to get the (expired) plate numbers. The car is sitting pretty far back off the road and it is facing the road so there is no way that she could have seen the plates just passing by. There has to be something about not trespassing. Then again, its the city and they do what their pound of flesh! :xmad:

I can understand your frustration. Really. Especially the part about driving onto your property to see it. That would make me mad too. I wouldn't be surprised if someone saw a car sitting in the grass and just assumed it was a "junk" car so they tried their luck to see if it had a valid plate on it. I could be wrong and that may not be what happened but it wouldn't surprise me in the least. In any case it's a crappy situation. I understand you've already sold it but I would still see if you can avoid fines and an appearance if you get it plated. If so then it boils down to which would cost more: paying the fine and having your buddy come get it ASAP (so they don't do this to you again) or plating the car?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Yes, you have to have up to date plates on any vehicle parked in plain view. If it is stored in the garage you can let it go but you will pay full price for the time it was not plated. They will get you coming and going. That this is a surprise to anyone is a surprise to me.
    This code enforcement started to get all the cars off blocks and make sure permits were pulled and your grass was cut. After a while they found a revenue stream and do actually look for the smallest infractions to justify their freaking jobs.
    We have been round and round with them in the past. Yes, they will walk around your house at will. I have chased one off a few times. Once they write you they will be back regularly looking to get you again.
    Pay the fine, plate or sell the car and realize this is "What we all voted for"

Edit...a neighbor may have dropped dime on you.

fallenangel1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    I was able to get a hold of my buddy, he will be picking up the car this weekend.

I guess I will end up just grabbing my ankles and taking it from the state once again and pay the fine.:ranton:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    This is the problem with everyone being concerned about other people's property. Nobody minds their business, so they have to come up with laws.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Those tickets are actually written by Last Chance Towing, they have the city contract for abandoned vehicles. They were given permission to tag vehicles for these violations then eventually tow them. They used to drive a Prius with "Last Chance" in large letters on each side. And don't think pulling the unplated vehicle into your driveway will be ok.

Sec. 621-127. - Inoperable vehicle on private property.

It shall be a violation of this Code to store, maintain, or keep any inoperable vehicle outdoors on private property in a zoning district, the provisions of which do not specifically permit such a use. A person's first and second violations of this section in a twelve-month period shall be subject to admission of violation and payment of the designated civil penalty through the ordinance violations bureau in accordance with Chapter 103. A person's third and subsequent violations in a twelve-month period shall be subject to the enforcement procedures and penalties provided in section 103-3 of this Code.

fallenangel1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Those tickets are actually written by Last Chance Towing, they have the city contract for abandoned vehicles. They were given permission to tag vehicles for these violations then eventually tow them. They used to drive a Prius with "Last Chance" in large letters on each side. And don't think pulling the unplated vehicle into your driveway will be ok.

Sec. 621-127. - Inoperable vehicle on private property.

It shall be a violation of this Code to store, maintain, or keep any inoperable vehicle outdoors on private property in a zoning district, the provisions of which do not specifically permit such a use. A person's first and second violations of this section in a twelve-month period shall be subject to admission of violation and payment of the designated civil penalty through the ordinance violations bureau in accordance with Chapter 103. A person's third and subsequent violations in a twelve-month period shall be subject to the enforcement procedures and penalties provided in section 103-3 of this Code.

Actually I have a video security system, I saw the car that pulled into my driveway all the way up to my gate, it was one of the white Fords with the city municipality emblems on the doors. I just cant stand the idea of them coming on to my property and charging me fines just because I don't want to pay the state for plates on an old car I do not drive.

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    This is a very large part of the reason I bought land in the middle of nowhere. I just want to be left alone. If these bottom feeders would spend half the time minding their own affairs, than trying to trip you up. This would be a better country.

Case in point. I know a CPS worker that removed many a kid from a home. I am sure many were needed. But by no means all. But he can't figure out why his kids treat him like crap.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    This is a very large part of the reason I bought land in the middle of nowhere. I just want to be left alone. If these bottom feeders would spend half the time minding their own affairs, than trying to trip you up. This would be a better country.

Case in point. I know a CPS worker that removed many a kid from a home. I am sure many were needed. But by no means all. But he can't figure out why his kids treat him like crap.
    Exactly! Im in the country...for a reason. I expect to be left alone and accept nothing less than exactly that.

I had to deal with a CPS "lady" and a Parke Co. Deputy over the girlfriends x-husband using CPS against her because he still thought he had control. I told the CPS "lady" she had 5 seconds to leave my property. I started walking into my house at 4 and grabbed my cel phone and stood right in front of her calling the sheriff and told them I had a "lady" on my property that would not leave. They showed up then I had to explain to the deputy that he better call his watch commander so he could explain to him that he CANNOT go into my house without a search warrant and the watch commander needed to clarify what exactly 42 U.S.C. 1983 is, that was right after I told the deputy and the CPS slime that I would take them individually to Federal, not State court if they entered my house. A CPS employee CANNOT serve a warrant, they ARE NOT Law Enforcement. They will however try to bully their way in just like the Deputy TRIED.
    After almost 10 minutes on the phone...the deputy and slimebag "lady" left. Never heard from them again. :rockwoot:

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    If you want true freedom to do what you want with your stuff, then buy a home in a county township, not within any city limits. When people are crowded together on top of each other, there are always more restrictive laws, ordinances, rules and regulations.

I surely can't stand my neighbors who park in the street 24/7, blocking the road and diminishing my home value by crowding our shared streets, so I wont lie to you and say that these ordinances aren't helpful as a tool of last resort. But in the country you can have a dozen cars on blocks in your backyard, and no one would care much, since that space isn't shared. The reality is that if you'd u share space then you have rules to follow, and then only way to enforce rules is with penalties.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    The country areas are full. Like California expats, we don't need city slickers fleeing the messes they voted for to only bring those messes to us.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana

Be glad you weren't involved in some stupidity like this...

Central Texas dog shot by police officer after warrant mix-up | wfaa.com Dallas - Fort Worth

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have to admit that these code guys did make my neighbor to the north clean up his act. He had cars everywhere and they were junk. Place was an eyesore. He was doing body work in a 1 car garage. Several neighbors across the street dropped dime on him and they made repeated trips to his yard until the mess was cleaned up.
    We were building a 69 Camaro at that time and it sat in front of my garage at times and was not a plated street car. It was a drag car with the exceptions noted on the title from the state. Pretty obvious what the car was for but they wrote me up about 4 times before I finally got them off my A$$. It took a letter and a visit from my lawyer to do so and they still pulled into the driveway after that.
    I am OK with keeping the city cleaned up as folks do push the boundary's at times. If you want a junk yard no problem....move out by Horny and do your thing. Not in the city.
    AS to a guy with a car he does not drive and is not a junker....leave him alone. Find your revenue elsewhere.

Top Bottom