• ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Along the lines of IndyJoe's post, here is my tale.

Using an iron sighted old bolt action .22, I dropped a groundhog from 63 yards. I was 13 years old.

Dad and I noticed a hole at the back of our property. So I kept an eye on it. I noticed some movement and went to get dad. He gave me the JC Higgins .22 and we went up to the balcony. I rested the rifle on the rail and lined up the sights. Carefully pulled the trigger and bang. The groundhog didn't move. So I reloaded and waited to see what he would do. He was real still.

Dad and I headed out there to see what had happened. He had just the top half of his body out of the hole. We looked close at him. The bullet had gone in just behind his ear. Dead right there.

Dad said it was a lucky shot, probably was, but henstill bragged on me for a long time.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Along the lines of IndyJoe's post, here is my tale.

Using an iron sighted old bolt action .22, I dropped a groundhog from 63 yards. I was 13 years old.

Dad and I noticed a hole at the back of our property. So I kept an eye on it. I noticed some movement and went to get dad. He gave me the JC Higgins .22 and we went up to the balcony. I rested the rifle on the rail and lined up the sights. Carefully pulled the trigger and bang. The groundhog didn't move. So I reloaded and waited to see what he would do. He was real still.

Dad and I headed out there to see what had happened. He had just the top half of his body out of the hole. We looked close at him. The bullet had gone in just behind his ear. Dead right there.

Dad said it was a lucky shot, probably was, but henstill bragged on me for a long time.

We were tasked around the same age to bring back supper when we were on the farm to work in the summer. Ground hog/squirrel/rabbit.
    .22 single shot and a Stevens .22 short pump gun. Carnival gun.
    Made some amazing shots competing with my cousins. Distances out to 100 on Ground hogs were not always successful but when they were :woot:
    When we were stepped up to the .22 Mag single bolt life was good.
    No way I could do this now.

Top Bottom