• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Anelson

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Indiana
    Okay its all done and what not. I did not buy a completed upper. But the upper rec, barrel and bcg all came from BCM. Do i need to get a headspace gauge and go that route or just take it out and give it a shot?
    Thanks to anyone with advice>!
    Anelson

hotrodtba

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    Ossian
    AR barrels are headspaced with the barrel extension, so it should be good to go as they are installed already by the barrel maker. The rest is just plug and play.

Anelson

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Indiana
    Yeah thats just my out look on it. Better to ask the question then have something possibly blow up in your face haha
    Anelson

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    You did not say if you purchased a new bolt or if you did I missed it. New parts that are true milspec should be GTG. But it is always a good idea to check HS. A new barrel and a used bolt-definitely have HS checked or viceversa. What is your face worth?

The three day M16/AR LE armorers course I took stressed always checking head space. :twocents:

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    AR barrels are headspaced with the barrel extension, so it should be good to go as they are installed already by the barrel maker. The rest is just plug and play.

This.

Yeah thats just my out look on it. Better to ask the question then have something possibly blow up in your face haha
    Anelson

Pfft, why waste your time asking? I can see you are just a big sissy that doesn't like to live dangerously.

:laugh:

Have fun with your new AR...Pics?

Anelson

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Indiana
    This.

Pfft, why waste your time asking? I can see you are just a big sissy that doesn't like to live dangerously.

:laugh:

Have fun with your new AR...Pics?

Well I would hate to mess up this mug lol...... My dig cam is all kinds of messed up right now when I get a new one I'll be more than happy to throw up some pics.
    Anelson

Anelson

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Indiana
    You did not say if you purchased a new bolt or if you did I missed it. New parts that are true milspec should be GTG. But it is always a good idea to check HS. A new barrel and a used bolt-definitely have HS checked or viceversa. What is your face worth?

The three day M16/AR LE armorers course I took stressed always checking head space. :twocents:

I guess it would help to be more specific huh... Everything is new from BCM.....

Thanks guys for the input.
    Anelson

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I guess it would help to be more specific huh... Everything is new from BCM.....

Thanks guys for the input.
    Anelson

You should be GTG, especially from a good quality manufacturer like BCM. As a agency armorer I have checked head space on many, many M16's and AR15's after barrel and bolt replacements and have never had one that failed. But some were better (Closer)than others. Correct HS can have a substantial effect on accuracy.

Anelson

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Indiana
    Thanks again for all the help guys.... I'll be heading out to zero it Thusday morning after I get off work!
    j706 what department do you work for?

Anelson

HawkI

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    Behind the sights, a
    Curious if you have a sec

So, first, congrats on the build. Second, if you don't mind my asking a somewhat related question. As someone wanting to purchase, how difficult is it to build from a kit? I'm a pretty handy person, but haven't had a whole lot of experience with guns in particular (can build / repair computers, am an electrician, etc). Do you need specialty tools? Looking to save money and don't mind doing hard work Thanks if you do have time to give input! :ingo:

Anelson

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Indiana
    Well to be honest with you it was no where near as hard as I thought it was going to be. The guys and gals on here are more than happy to help if you have any questions. You may or may not need certain specialty tools. If you have friends that have them its much easier to barrow them than buy your own if you only plan on building one. The only tools that I personal had to buy were a set of roll pin punches. Certain forends and other things take certain tools. Your mileage my vary.... One big helping point was YOUTUBE!! videos on there can give you a real good look at what it is you are getting into. Another big thing is buy quality parts. Thats the money saver over buying on from the gunshop. If you want any extras your better off building a parts gun so your not buying all the extra parts that are going to be stripped off when you get home. If your close to Madison County I would be more that happy help you out if you have any questions.
    Andrew

Anelson

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Indiana
    Also took it out to the range yesterday and it runs like a champ. Nothing like building your own and have it run that well.
    Andrew

HawkI

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    Behind the sights, a
    thanks

thanks so much for the encouragement and offer. I'm in Griffith, IN, so not sure how far that is. If I end up building, I might take you up on it. I did find one on youtube that was sweet in terms of looking un-complicated. I'm still debating ar vs ak for first, so we'll have to see. Thanks again and so glad yours worked so well!

HawkI

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    Behind the sights, a
    Yeah, I imagine I'd feel the same. Still haven't fired an ar, but I'm always precision oriented, which the ak is not. However, for close-up nastiness... well, the ak is king in my book, thus what I decided to go with first... though that being the operative word ;). bought a polish milled, will get a wasr (or something) to make tactical, then hopefully an ar (though we're talking a bit of time in between :)

Top Bottom