• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I never even thought of carrying when I was a volunteer. Never occurred to me. If I was a volunteer today I know I would.

Bigguy5

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2015
    Michigan City
    I don't believe that to be true, it is quite likely up to the individual entities. We are not allowed by policy to have them in FH or on our person on duty.

It's up to each Department. We have a couple apartment Complexes that I won't go with out it. Normally PD makes those calls with us, but sometimes they are tied up.

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    Fire chief exchanges gunfire with driver at crash scene standoff

Interesting Read. I'm a Vol. FF and I don't Leave home without my CC. Too many nuts in the world.

How can this be???? I mean, the anti-gunners are always telling us that those who carry NEVER stop crime or are able to use them for self defense.

I guess it was only possible due to the fact that he was a reserve officer. :rolleyes:

If I was a EMT or fireman, I would be carrying as well if possible. You never know the situations that you will encounter.

Spazstick87

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    That is an interesting article and brings to light some of the dangers over looked sometimes by myself and other vol ff. I am a vol ff and recently was looking over the IC and was unable to find anything forbidding by state law that firearms were forbidden in the firehouse, in the trucks, or on runs in personal vehicles. A lot of us still respond to scene due to the large area we cover. Can anyone point to any part of the IC that says its legal or is it just not stated that it's a forbidden place. I am concerned only about state or federal laws. Not Dept policy. That can be changed if needed.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    That is an interesting article and brings to light some of the dangers over looked sometimes by myself and other vol ff. I am a vol ff and recently was looking over the IC and was unable to find anything forbidding by state law that firearms were forbidden in the firehouse, in the trucks, or on runs in personal vehicles. A lot of us still respond to scene due to the large area we cover. Can anyone point to any part of the IC that says its legal or is it just not stated that it's a forbidden place. I am concerned only about state or federal laws. Not Dept policy. That can be changed if needed.

You'll not find any code stating that an activity is legal. The codes will detail things that are illegal / unlawful, however.

Absent any law against "something" then that "something" (Generally speaking) is legal.

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    No IC referring to weapons in FH... that's always been local rules set by the houses themselves. At least that has been my understanding with years as a reserve LEO and now full-time. I always enjoyed hanging out at the firehouse with those guys. With the ambushes that have happened, I'll sometimes stand by at a scene when I can if the FD is responding to a call.

Spazstick87

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Ok thank you for the response. I guess in today's day and age I sometimes look for it in writing somewhere saying an activity is legal when it comes to carrying in certain places. But tactically fat you have a great point thank you for the insight.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    Our policy pulled straight from manual (Dept. name deleted per yet another department policy)

[h=2]FIREARMS[/h]Adopted: January 1, 1999 Last Revision: September 5, 2013

Employees shall not possess any type of firearm while working on duty, attending a training function, riding in a departmental apparatus or staff vehicle, or visiting any fire station of the XXX Fire Department. Firearms brought onto fire department property must be secured, locked, and stowed out of site in the employee’s vehicle. The only exceptions are those employees who are sworn law enforcement personnel and who are required to carry such in the performance of their duties with the XXX Fire Department.

Sworn law enforcement officers may bring his or her firearm into the stations of the XXX Fire Department while in uniform or during the performance of his or her duties as a law enforcement officer.

Violation of this policy shall result in disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.

Top Bottom