• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I took my nephew to the range last week. He had never shot any kind of firearm and was really enthusiastic. I took 3 Glocks of different calibers: G26 (9mm), G27 (.40 cal) and G30 (.45 cal.) I wanted him to see what each of these major calibers felt like.

I laid all three guns down on the bench next to us and grabbed one of the "little" ones. I put 5 9mm rounds into the mag and inserted and told him to pull the slide and "let it fly forward." His first shot at 7 yds was low and to the left. Pretty crappy I thought because all my pistols are 1 holers at that distance. The second shot just went "click" and nothing happened. I told him to hold the pistol firmly in case we had a hang fire. After the 10 second period I took the pistol from him, dropped the mag and ejected the round. I found the 9mm round had a very light primer strike. Then I turned the gun on its side and saw.....G27 .40 caliber.! I couldn't believe I had given him 9mm ammo in the 40. I looked for the first case on the ground and it was ballooned out to .40 caliber and had three neat splits length wise on it. Somehow the extractor had grabbed it enough while it was being stripped out of the mag and held it in place good enough for a striker hit.

I felt extremely stupid and was very thankful that the gun hadn't blown up (It's a Glock .40 caliber, for gosh sakes. It's supposed to go kaboom, isn't it?) At home I always keep my 9mm Glocks in a different safe than the .40s because the G23 and 27 are my home defense guns. But I committed a major error by having the 26 and 27, with identical frames and which will accept each others' mags, on the same bench. Thank God for good luck.

The 27 wasn't damaged. I carefully checked it when I cleaned it and yesterday put about 20 rounds through it. Y,all might want to be careful so something similar doesn't happen to you.
    picture.php

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Thanks for the warning! Good thing nothing bad happened; probably would've turned him off to shooting pretty quickly for something to explode in his hand.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Don't feel bad. I've seen many threads on this.
    Tried to shoot .40s outta my new .45 once. Been shootin over 30 years, felt like a kid waitin for my dad to smack me upside the head.

Speaking of which. Does anyone else's conscience sound like their dad?

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    Having several Glock and several calibers, this is one of my fears. I always confirm and reconfirm if I have more than one gun out.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Having several Glock and several calibers, this is one of my fears. I always confirm and reconfirm if I have more than one gun out.
    I took his dad, my brother, shooting a couple weeks ago and almost mixed the 26 and 27 up. When I told bro about the incident with his son, who is 28 and not a kid, he said, "Yeah, you dumb a$$, you almost did that with me too." My brother has always been my encouragement. At least I didn't get my sis-in-law's "little boy" hurt.

Incidentally, nephew did a really good job off the bags with all three calibers.
    picture.php

After that we shot at the 6 disc steel resetable targets at Red Brush. He loved that but Uncle Ortega really showed him how to do it.
    picture.php

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    What you've got there is the .41 Action Express. Next time anneal your brass before fireforming.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I was out shooting with some friends this weekend. One of my buddies kept having failures-to-fire in his Beretta M9. Turns out he had 9mm Makarov ammo in it.

Top Bottom