• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Speaking of flares, I can no longer find them at the local stores. Have they been banned as well????
    Not thread jack, just came to mind. Anyone know??

This does look like something that we should have in our stores.

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    Thats pretty cool, I could use somthing like that just for my fire pit! pretty handy.

Church for some reason I want to say I saw flares at wally world back in the automotive repair area about a month ago, a friend of mine blew a tire and we were up getting a tire so we could get him back on the road and a swear I saw some in tire sales. They may be behind the counter now?????

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Speaking of flares, I can no longer find them at the local stores. Have they been banned as well????

Just hit West Marine, they have a store in Indy and a good web site.

Firepuck looks cute but a triox bar fits just fine in my underwear and starts with any spark.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Used to make something similar to it out of old Skoal Cans. I would mix Sawdust and Magnesium Shavings up and bound it with wax...
    My modern version: Put the mag shavings in a small film can, these days the equivalent is blood glucose test strip can, then dump out on piece of duct tape when needed. Wrap tape on a bundle of tinder/twigs and light.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Looks to be exactly the same material as a road flare. I might be interested if it were half the size of a film can, say equal to a stack of 8-10 quarters. That would start a well laid fire and be reasonable to carry .

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I love you ex-military guys. You will always know how to start, maintain a fire or get crap blown up. Thanks for the flare input. We have a major accident on my block at least 4 times a year and the flares keep the idiots from crashing into the wreck.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    A regular votive candle would work pretty well as a firestarter, I'd think. They're cheap, don't take up much room, & would work pretty well as a low-light source.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I know this is suppose to be serious, but it's also really funny...:):
    Great idea though have you used them on a rainy day or windy day???
    Yes, and yes...

I posted that in all seriousness. The wicks on the "trick" birthday candles have magnesium. That is why you have difficulty blowing them out...;)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I know this is suppose to be serious, but it's also really funny...:):
    Great idea though have you used them on a rainy day or windy day???

I was laughing to, at first. My grandchild had some of these at her last "B" day. Daughter still had some. We went to the picnic table and lite one. It was near impossible to extinguish. Great idea.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I was laughing to, at first. My grandchild had some of these at her last "B" day. Daughter still had some. We went to the picnic table and lite one. It was near impossible to extinguish. Great idea.
    I highlight an earlier post of yours for ease... ;)
    I love you ex-military guys. You will always know how to start, maintain a fire or get crap blown up. Thanks for the flare input. We have a major accident on my block at least 4 times a year and the flares keep the idiots from crashing into the wreck.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville

I'm not sure where to buy flares, but I do have a lifetime supply. When my wifes uncle died, he left them behind. I'm not certain where he got them, but he did work at the BG Amtrak facility for over 30 years....your guess is as good as mine and probably equally accurate.

This has me thinking, I bet I could quarter them and add a waterproof fuse to each piece. They burn for about 15-20 minutes as is, a bit longer than needed for starting a fire.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Perfect. I did mean that. Between you and Zoub I have learned far more about fire than most will ever know. I have always had great campfires but I can now start them 37 new and exciting ways..............:D
    LOL!

Glad I could help! I mean after all you did help pay for my education!

Top Bottom