• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AZ Hunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    My pops is looking at some hunting ground just south of 465, inside Marion County. Is it legal to discharge a firearm for purposes of hunting inside Marion County? Thanks in advance. :dunno:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Municode - Search

Within the police special service district, it shall be unlawful for any person to fire off, shoot at another person or otherwise use any dangerous weapon for any purpose other than in defense of his life or the life of another person, or the protection of his property or property entrusted to him by another person, or for practice at a range under the supervision and operation of a governmental entity, or without the prior written approval of the department of public safety.
    I don't see a hunting exemption, sorry.

Edit: Just noticed the "special service district" part. I had forgotten that parts of Marion County are technically out side of the IMPD district. The district boundaries are a nightmare to read, though.

IMPD Service District info:
    http://www.indy.gov/eGov/City/DPS/IMPD/Enforcement/Districts/Pages/home.aspx

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    There are several areas inside Marion County that you are GTG with shooting a firearm. The special service district is an old reference to the old IPD jurisdiction before the merger or what was refered to as the "old city limits". The map above shows the new service districts under the merged department. My guess is the ordnances have not caught up with the changes. However, I know the ordnance to prohibit any discharge of weapons in Marion County was defeated last year thanks to one of its largest opponents who happens to be a judge in Marion County and a avid hunter and shooter (in Marion County). Those are the kinds of friends we need.

I duck hunt the white river just south of 465 often.

AZ Hunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    Ok. Shame on me for still being confused. I understand now there are some areas that allow a discharge of a firearm. What is the best way to find out if this location is one of those areas?

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    in Indiana a muzzleloader isn't a "firearm" so discharging a firearm wouldn't apply to a smokepole

Alright, Lonnie, come clean. Which gun shop told you this?

IC 35-47-1-5
    "Firearm"

Sec. 5. "Firearm" means any weapon:
    (1) that is:
    (A) capable of expelling; or
    (B) designed to expel; or
    (2) that may readily be converted to expel;
    a projectile by means of an explosion.

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    Be forewarned that you're likely to be harassed one way or another.

Never mind all the idiots that shoot them off New Years & Fourth of July indiscriminately in the air, but by golly if a hunter that knows what they're doing fires one round in a safe manner at a deer there will be hell to pay!

Lonnie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Hamilton county
    Alright, Lonnie, come clean. Which gun shop told you this?

IC 35-47-1-5
    "Firearm"

Sec. 5. "Firearm" means any weapon:
    (1) that is:
    (A) capable of expelling; or
    (B) designed to expel; or
    (2) that may readily be converted to expel;
    a projectile by means of an explosion.

you can order muzzleloaders from mail order with no back ground check or paper work , you can buy them from wal-mart of Dicks without paper work
    So if those laws don't apply why would discharging a muzzlelaoder????????????????

it's not a "FIREARM" isn't that why Indiana has a MUZZLE LOADER season and a "FIREARMS" season because they are different

Lonnie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Hamilton county
    The way that law reads then all fireworks are considered "FIREARMS"

come one now

Oh wait next your gonna tell me those can't be used in Marion county either lol!

MarkRW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    (e) This section shall not apply to activities on property that is at least five (5) acres and zoned for agriculture provided that the activities do not pose a danger to person, animal or property outside to the property's boundaries.

I believe, but do not know for sure, that you can hunt (or shoot) within Marion County with a firearm under these conditions.

I asked a police officer who lives across the street from me, and he thought this was correct (but he also was not sure) and he thought the basic principle was as property owner you had to take reasonable actions to be sure the shots did not leave your property - as in "do not pose a danger" above.

Last edited:

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I live on SE side of Indy around the Franklin Central Area. I have fields all around my edition which also border schools etc....

One of the owners of a farm hunts geese/ducks each year from this his field..maybe 300 yards off the road. Never fails..someone calls the police who show up. They are there maybe 10 minutes and leave and he continues on shooting.

We are a pretty populated area and have a indy address. Must be legal or they would tell him to stop.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    How close is this land to Hwy 37 or 67? People hunt their land in that area all the time, inlcuding the fields inside 465 by Hwy 37 and Mann rd. exits.

It is easy to figure out but your best bet is to call the DNR, then Marion County. There are some laws in Marion county about notifying LEO ahead of time about when and why you will be shooting on your land.....but I will add it is kind of fuzzy in my opinion.

South of Southport Rd. between 67 and Mann gun fire is a common occurence, especially on weekends in Fall. I know of two guys who have a couple Labs, train them on their land and pop geese on the ponds.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    you can order muzzleloaders from mail order with no back ground check or paper work , you can buy them from wal-mart of Dicks without paper work

Think about two railroad tracks, one federal, one state.

Because you are following federal law and the federal definition of firearms.

Indiana, as the cited statute shows, defines muzzleloaders as firearms.

Why are the laws different for buying the (back ground check , paper work etc.) if they are considered a "FIREARM"??

Again, becasue the background check, paper work (4473), etc. are a product of federal law. Federal law does not define muzzleloaders as firearms. The Indiana Code does include muzzleloaders as firearms.

Uconas

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    i think the DNR say to hunt urban deer in marion co its to be with a bow.
    to fire a gun in marion co can be done outside city limits, and i believe the city limits is inside the 465 circle.

Top Bottom