• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ega

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    If you carry a firearm for a living you better be damn well capable with it.IFyou dont have enough time to become an expert marksman !!!! find another job.To many friends of mine(which are many) use ther badge as a right of passage when ther ability lags behind>I saw the the same thing in the corps with the guys that would do just enough to get by.MY life may some day rely on your ability. practice, practice,practice----(the more you sweat in peace time the less you bleed in war) IT pays to be a winner !!!!! marine corps eod gulf war era

ChrisK

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Starke County
    If you carry a firearm for a living you better be damn well capable with it.IFyou dont have enough time to become an expert marksman !!!! find another job.To many friends of mine(which are many) use ther badge as a right of passage when ther ability lags behind>I saw the the same thing in the corps with the guys that would do just enough to get by.MY life may some day rely on your ability. practice, practice,practice----(the more you sweat in peace time the less you bleed in war) IT pays to be a winner !!!!! marine corps eod gulf war era

Could have not said it better myself. :twocents:

Glock Lover

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    muncie

I agree with you and hold to this myself! But I do see how its tough for some. The department funds 0, thats right 0 time at the range. Once a year ammo for qualification day.
    And Most of us have no money for ammo, or range memberships. I know I don't!
    I have a second kid on the way and we are a 1 income family, and I'm a public servant, on a public servants salary (not a complaint I chose this). And Today I spent 60 dollars I don't have to make sure I'm proficient.
    But when you have to make the choice...have some extra money for groceries this week or go to the range. Put some money away for diapers for the new baby or go to the range. It's a tough decision, especially when you know that once a year you will be able to qualify even without practice because the standards are low enough. And that is all the department requires, and you know most of the guys thats all they do. It's pretty easy to look at it and say we need this money somewhere else!
    So although I agree with you step back for a minute and see where some of us are coming from. As cops we are only human and if requirements are low, and money is low its only natural to put the cash towards something else. Yes we need to invest in our proficiency, and this is an INVESTMENT in our family, and I do. BUT with rising ammo costs and department budget cuts, a lot of the cops I know are investing the money elsewhere. Just something to think about. If you win the lottery donate to your local PD for firearms training, and increased standards. Many PD's don't raise the requirements cause they don't have the money for training and they know their officers don't either so they don't require more from them. My two cents. Thanks.

Last edited:

ega

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    glock lover nice responce!!! I guess im useing a few to typify? a bunch.A fed marshall buddy of mine has probably 3000 rds of issued40cal in his basement quals quaterly and crys when he scores a just good enough.I dont know to each his own I guess.I see this lately across the board -- pd's budgets need to be geared towards cqb because thats what is most likely going to be the case its not 1950-60-70 you guys with your *** in the breeze deserve the very best in training and equipment!!!!!! remember the 5-p's (prior planning prevents **** pore performance)

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I agree with most, but with one other point. Proficiency is just like every other goal that folks set for themselves. It's very much an individual goal, and very subjective. My goals need not be the same as any other poster in this thread, but I'd hope that everyone have a firearms-related goal. That goal could be as simple as "I just want to be able to hit an 8" plate at 15 yards", or as complex as " I can dive to either side, roll to my feet, spin around three times, kick the gun out of your hand and then shoot the heels off your shoes."

Everyone should have a proficiency goal, but that goal does not have to meet anyone else's approval. Opinions are free, and I may not agree with your method of obtaining your goal, but the goal itself is yours.

Me? I just try to be a bit better than the last time I was at the range. Sometimes, I'm not..... but most of the time I am.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette

You don't need a badge to need to be proficient with a gun! As a matter of fact, if you carry a gun, you need to be proficient with it, PERIOD!

If you carry for a LIVING, I EXPECT you to be proficient, if NOT, I'd expect you to be removed from that facet of the job until the time comes that you COULD show a minimum degree of proficiency!

A badge does NOT exempt you from the responsibilities of carrying a sidearm.

Situational awareness, and firearms safety/proficiency are for EVERYONE that walks around armed, NOT just LEO's! :twocents:

BTW-ega, Thank you for your service, and SEMPER FIDELIS!

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    You don't need a badge to need to be proficient with a gun! As a matter of fact, if you carry a gun, you need to be proficient with it, PERIOD!

If you carry for a LIVING, I EXPECT you to be proficient, if NOT, I'd expect you to be removed from that facet of the job until the time comes that you COULD show a minimum degree of proficiency!

A badge does NOT exempt you from the responsibilities of carrying a sidearm.

Situational awareness, and firearms safety/proficiency are for EVERYONE that walks around armed, NOT just LEO's! :twocents:

BTW-ega, Thank you for your service, and SEMPER FIDELIS!
    I agree 100%. if you carry a gun (badge or not) you need to be proficient with it. I wouldn't mind Indiana requiring some kind of test to show the basic knowledge of firearm safety and laws and shooting proficiency to get a LTCH. That may even get some more states included to our reciprocity list.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I agree 100%. if you carry a gun (badge or not) you need to be proficient with it. I wouldn't mind Indiana requiring some kind of test to show the basic knowledge of firearm safety and laws and shooting proficiency to get a LTCH. That may even get some more states included to our reciprocity list.

Aside from a nice thought, this is too slippery a slope for most of us to support.
    It's just too easy for this to devolve into a form of restrictive control.

ETA: new thread topic here - https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...3-ltch_test_class_what_do_you_guys_think.html

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    I agree with you and hold to this myself! But I do see how its tough for some. The department funds 0, thats right 0 time at the range. Once a year ammo for qualification day.
    And Most of us have no money for ammo, or range memberships. I know I don't!
    I have a second kid on the way and we are a 1 income family, and I'm a public servant, on a public servants salary (not a complaint I chose this). And Today I spent 60 dollars I don't have to make sure I'm proficient.
    But when you have to make the choice...have some extra money for groceries this week or go to the range. Put some money away for diapers for the new baby or go to the range. It's a tough decision, especially when you know that once a year you will be able to qualify even without practice because the standards are low enough. And that is all the department requires, and you know most of the guys thats all they do. It's pretty easy to look at it and say we need this money somewhere else!
    So although I agree with you step back for a minute and see where some of us are coming from. As cops we are only human and if requirements are low, and money is low its only natural to put the cash towards something else. Yes we need to invest in our proficiency, and this is an INVESTMENT in our family, and I do. BUT with rising ammo costs and department budget cuts, a lot of the cops I know are investing the money elsewhere. Just something to think about. If you win the lottery donate to your local PD for firearms training, and increased standards. Many PD's don't raise the requirements cause they don't have the money for training and they know their officers don't either so they don't require more from them. My two cents. Thanks.

You need to find this Dept. and get them to share the wealth...:D

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/ammunition_and_reloading/53240-no_ammo_shortage_here.html

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Repped ega and Glock Lover - I agree with both and Glock Lover outlined a very good point here. I think it's sad that PD don't offer more training to their officers. I understand the budget constraints and realize their are electronic shoot/no shoot machines but in the end I just don't think it's the same as live fire drills and practice.

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    Aside from a nice thought, this is too slippery a slope for most of us to support.
    It's just too easy for this to devolve into a form of restrictive control.

ETA: new thread topic here - https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...3-ltch_test_class_what_do_you_guys_think.html

There is a class requirement for a CC permit down in NC. You have to take a specific CC class for it. I'm not sure how I feel about it though. I e-mailed them asking if an NRA Basic Pistol or Personal Protection in the home course would suffice. Never got a response though. At least with that, it would be national courses that would work wherever you were.

Archaic_Entity

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    There is a class requirement for a CC permit down in NC. You have to take a specific CC class for it. I'm not sure how I feel about it though. I e-mailed them asking if an NRA Basic Pistol or Personal Protection in the home course would suffice. Never got a response though. At least with that, it would be national courses that would work wherever you were.

No, it doesn't. You have to take the ones NC offers, although I think they have a list of folks who can teach it. I'm from Charlotte, NC and my mom just got concealed carrier's permits there. They've got some absurd rules.

You have to have a license per gun, and you have to renew them in order to keep them up-to-date, as opposed to having a lifetime. The one that gets me the most is the fact that it's issuance per gun.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Wow great post by GlockLover. I never knew that some police departments were so low on funds. What a shame that the people who are supposed to protect are not getting everything they need. On a side note most of my friends are LEO and they are all proficient with their firearms.

Top Bottom