• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I'm typically not into hypothetical situations but this came up in a discussion today. When a person recieves a conviction which prohibits them from owning a firearm, how can they legally dispose of guns they own?

Thanks

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    You'd have to get someone to sell them. Immediately. Or you could give them away to family or friends, but they would have to go immediately or you'd be in for serious crap. Theoretically, they'd have to be out of your reach before you got home.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    What usually happens is the after being charged with a felony, the Po-Po takes all the guns out of the house. By the time of conviction, the guns are already gone. Same thing with domestic violence, protective orders and other like charges.

Felony conviction usually results in prison time, unless you are a politician. So most folks are locked up while their guns are destroyed.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I would think that would be my one phone call from lock up if I were arrested for what I thought may possibly be a felony. Get all guns out of the house and stored somewhere safe or with somebody safe until issue can be settled.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    What usually happens is the after being charged with a felony, the Po-Po takes all the guns out of the house. By the time of conviction, the guns are already gone. Same thing with domestic violence, protective orders and other like charges.

Felony conviction usually results in prison time, unless you are a politician. So most folks are locked up while their guns are destroyed.

Not this in my jurisdiction. Police can only remove non-crime involved guns upon the court finding defendant to be dangerous. That would not happen with most felons, since most felons are actually not dangerous people.

Prison time? For D felonies? More likely community corrections (self-paid 'custody'). Haven't heard any local stories of the police seizing and destroying 'caches'.

But need to get them out of the house pronto, and don't repossess them until one is in compliance with State and federal law. The latter is the sticking point, since any felony conviction can push the BATFE into action.

creativeinside

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2012
    basiclly get your record expunged... then after all that is said and done you have to apply to get your rights back... Depending on conviction weighs in on what is possible..... But either way it will cost u a arm and leg

Top Bottom