• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • muncie21

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Has anyone moved out of state, using professional movers, with firearms?

I'm curious what steps are taken to protect your guns from theft and/or provide insurance if they get 'lost'.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Never done it. If you can, move them yourself. Even if that means doing it in several trips. I do understand that not all collections can be moved by yourself though, especially if moving very far.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    When we moved to Indiana we used a mover, but firearms went with us, not the movers. Theft by movers happens a lot and I did not want to lose anything. Take them with you, just to be safe, even if you have to rent a larger vehicle yourself.

muncie21

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Thanks for the suggestions, however taking the firearms with me would likely not be an option. The household stuff goes into storage and I go into a hotel.

I can see the look on the maid's face, when she goes to clean the room and there's a pile of guns in there. Not to mention that a hotel is no more secure than a storage lot for household goods.

buzzard pickins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Out by the Prague pond
    Professional drivers who steal, snoop and otherwise cause upheaval around the company usually lose their jobs. Then seek "second chance" employment with over the road dispatching. When that fails they go to work FOR MOVERS.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Are they in a safe?
    Mover's would be hard pressed to exxplain a missing safe I owuld think.
    Taking them with you is an option although using storage is a concern for weather and other reasons.

Me I'm looking for the perect golfbag sized safe.....

indoorsoccerfrea

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Me I'm looking for the perect golfbag sized safe.....

Which could just as easily be picked up by a thief and carried away to be broken into at his discretion...

Muncie, what state are you moving to? Is it nearby?

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Which could just as easily be picked up by a thief and carried away to be broken into at his discretion...

Muncie, what state are you moving to? Is it nearby?

Not when bolted to a wall stud. I gues I should have added that.

I mean I have a small amount of guns but I want them secure. I like to find a closet safe like stack-on makes only fire proof and with a real lock....

Obviously unbolted when the movers come.....

tharlow514

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Would homeowners insurance cover this stuff if stolen while being moved? Might be something to ask your insurance company. I just would be weary of someone else moving my firearms. Do you know someone else where you are moving that could store them for you? If you get in a bind you can store them at my place indefinitely. :) Good luck.

BIG TIM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fountaintown
    Movers would be more likely to damage them than steal them! Either is possible! Can you pack them in a container small enough for you to transport? This would be pretty discreet coming and going in a hotel. Consider storing them temporarily with a trust worthy friend. You can retrieve them after your safe is in place.Dont take the chance if you can get around it!

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers

I'm curious what steps are taken to protect your guns from theft and/or provide insurance if they get 'lost'.

I'll move them!! Trust me, I never lost a rifle when I moved mine!!

Lilsoup

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    I would find some way to keep them with you, or with someone you trust, to keep them safe

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    When I moved from North Carolina, I moved them myself, but I have fewer than 2 dozen guns, and I have 2 vehicles and rented a trailer to move the "necessities" before the regular shipment got here. wife + 2 kids + guns and some valuables makes it a necessity to travel with quite a lot of things.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have been through three moves using professional movers. In every case they would not move firearms, ammunition, or gasoline. The companies also recommeded that you move small personal affects such as jewlery yourself. Simply transport firearms in your car. My last move they loaded the car in the semi. I locked my firearms in the trunk and kept the keys. The movers can move the car but not the guns. Guns in the car was OK. In every situation the moving guys have been great, very professional, and during three moves nothing was broken.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN

Rent a van, do it yourself. You can replace your clothes and crap like that ... why put the temptation out there with this climate? BTW: you better be moving to FL. ! :): That's the only placed I'd be moving right now!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ljmiddleton3
    Top Bottom