• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mini-14

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 30, 2008
    New Palestine,In
    Saw this question posted on a couple other forums and was wondering how our members felt about the issue. Do you keep a weapon in your vehicle while at work? I know most companies has a no weapons on property policy. I personally keep a handgun in my truck while at work. If the need arises and i have to defend myself losing my job is the last of my worries.

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    Saw this question posted on a couple other forums and was wondering how our members felt about the issue. Do you keep a weapon in your vehicle while at work? I know most companies has a no weapons on property policy. I personally keep a handgun in my truck while at work. If the need arises and i have to defend myself losing my job is the last of my worries.
    I don't carry at work, but I definitely take it with me. Leaving it in the truck isn't as good as having it on me, but it's a lot better than it sitting at the house.

I remember reading an article about this. It said that any policy that an employer or business has will not keep someone from bringing a gun in and killing people. (Just like every other law, it is just a guideline that is only there to justify punishment). It also said that they do not have the right to deny your right to protect yourself on you way to work.

I need to get back to work, but when I get home I will try to find the article.

pierce195

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    New Castle
    I'm lucky in the fact that I get to carry at work. LOL Just part of the job, but other than that and the car. I would tell anyone that law enforcement is about the worst job I have ever had.

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    I work at Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Indiana in Princeton. They have a strict no guns, no ammo policy and considering I have a family to support, I leave the gun at home when I go to work. I do hope that the effort to allow permit carry in your own truck in the company parking lot comes around. I figure leaving the handgun in the truck while you're at work is a fair enough compromise between individual rights and property rights.

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    I figure leaving the handgun in the truck while you're at work is a fair enough compromise between individual rights and property rights.
    I agree.

If someone is going to bring a gun into the building, they're going to bring it into the building. Just because a piece of paper says you can't is not going to stop someone.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Our employee manual says the company will provide "adequate" protection for it's employees. I've actually seen one instance of an armed guard at a site because of an estranged soon to be ex-hubby under a restraining order.

So if I get assaulted while traveling to a job site at 9PM at night in Detroit like last night can I sue my employer for failure to protect me?

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    It seems so obvious that your car = your space. Sadly, that right was eroded when schools decided that students cars need to be subject to summary search.

You will always see my car parked across the street from my kid's school. The extra walking distance is worth maintaining my 4th ammendment freedoms, even though I should not have to.

As for employers, I feel for those of you who are forced to make these hard decisions. Hopefully odds will be with you and you will never have needed your firearm, but otherwise I guess you had better have other plans.

An employer should never own your rights.

pierce195

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    New Castle
    You have to right to sue for anything now. The only question is what is adeguate. One armed guard is not adequate if he is the first one shoot and no one else in the building is armed. This brings up the question of how is that "property rights" out weight our constitutional rights.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    This is definitely a tough situation, especially for people who work at places with pseudo-security like metal detectors at the entrances (but allow some people to bypass security). It's even tougher for people who work in schools (K-12, preschool, and licensed day cares), as they face the potential of a felony charge and conviction if they choose to make sensible choices about security of themselves and their students.

Tough decisions to make when your job is on the line, especially if you are in a position where an "active shooter" situation is a factor.

We need to keep working to change the laws, especially with respect to schools and other gov't properties and facilities.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    This is a problem for me because I am teaching at K12 schools a couple of days a week. In the 4 years I have been doing some work in schools not once has there ever been a time where anyone would ever know what I have in my car. However I do not keep a gun in my vehicle when I know I will be on school property and outside of my car.

younggun21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    In my opinion a concealed weapon should be just that concealed... don't ask, don't tell, and of course I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6... for me being a college student means no carry on campus, and when you live on campus that makes it hard, and when your car is on campus then what? I do not own a carry gun now but am planning to buy one in June (turn 21) and will have one at home this summer... what I will do at school and work next year is still up in the air (I will live off campus next year.)

-K

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I keep my gun in the Jeep while on site. I am a "vendor/rep" and my job takes me all over to different hospitals. Most of the smaller hospitals I go to are not posted so I could get away with it. I don't carry it in on most days since I risk flashing it. However most of my clients are cool with guns or are shooters as well.(most of them are ladies).

I do spend most of my time driving or in my home office, so you could say that I do carry 90% of the time while I work.

seamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I'm a tech for a local communications company and carrying is strictly forbidden. I have had a gun in my vehicle when I've gone straight to work from places other than my home, but I don't make a habit of it.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    I read a few years ago where a Weyerhauser plant in LA held a parking lot search for weapons.

If you submitted to having your vehicle searched and a firearm was found, you were fired. If you DECLINED to unlock your vehicle and allow a search, you were also fired. Several folk lost their positions.

I always wondered if one simply fired up their car or truck when the searching commenced and drove it out of the lot and onto a public street, just what would ensue? Would they forcibly try to stop you from leaving the parking lot?

Or would they let you drive away and then terminate you for walking off of the job.................

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Since I work at the airport... I don't even think about carrying to work, even i n my truck. It's a real pain in the backside but I don't want any trouble.

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    Since I work at the airport... I don't even think about carrying to work, even i n my truck. It's a real pain in the backside but I don't want any trouble.

Legally, I think you would have no problems securing it in your car.
    Real world, I don't know what they would say.

Firearm, explosive, or deadly weapon; possession in controlled access areas of an airport
    Sec. 1.3. A person who knowingly or intentionally enters an area of an airport to which access is controlled by the inspection of persons and property while the person:
    (1) possesses:
    (A) a firearm;
    (B) an explosive; or
    (C) any other deadly weapon; or
    (2) has access to property that contains:
    (A) a firearm;
    (B) an explosive; or
    (C) any other deadly weapon;
    commits a Class A misdemeanor.
    As added by P.L.84-1996, SEC.3.

Top Bottom