• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryang

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Yesterday I was lucky enough to have my firearm and knife released from evidence by South Bend PD after a little over two years.

Once inspecting closer at home, I saw that most of the parts on the gun have light surface rust. Mostly I was wondering if this is something that people find common after getting items back from police departments. I'm also missing one round (I think).

Any stories about condition/length of time held by police are appreciated!

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    No personal experience, but I'd guess it is fairly common to have some light surface rust if they have your gun that long. I would assume the gun just goes in an evidence bag or box of some sort. They aren't going to periodically take the gun out and clean it or anything.

ryang

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Link to the story of you shooting/stabbing someone please.

All three teenagers accused in Notre Dame Avenue shooting facing - Fox 28: South Bend, Elkhart IN News, Weather, Sports
    Old/outdated story as the final trial ended earlier this month, but this one has the basics. (nobody cared to update their stories because apparently convictions aren't news) I'll have an INGO exclusive tactical breakdown posted at some point now that we finally have convictions on all three.

darend505

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    At least the firearm was returned to you. More times than not it takes far longer than just the conclusion of the case. As mentioned above, with it being evidence, not a ton of care was taken to preserve the longevity of the item much beyond its use for the trial and in this case conviction of the criminal!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Wow Ryan, glad you made it through that ordeal. I'm scared to ask, but how is your roommate?

Can I ask, did you have a backup gun for self defense so you weren't without when they confiscated?

I wish I could remember proper search terms, but I'm sure I've read of confiscated guns coming back rusty in years old INGO threads.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    An impd officer told me that the reason he doesn't carry his personal tricked out AR upper or full gun in his car is if he has to shoot someone they will take his gun for testing just like anyone else's. They LITERALY throw them into a drum with no regard for scratches or damage. and other guns just like on top of them till they get to yours. By the time people get their guns back they isualy look like ****. And because of court and stuff that can be years. He said the people in the evidence room aren't gun people probably and have no idea how to treat a firearm nor care.
    I hope I never have to shoot anyone for this very reason probably more than any other. I don't wanna kill someone but if I use my gun it was for the right reason. I'm not a maniac.

ryang

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Wow Ryan, glad you made it through that ordeal. I'm scared to ask, but how is your roommate?

Can I ask, did you have a backup gun for self defense so you weren't without when they confiscated?

I wish I could remember proper search terms, but I'm sure I've read of confiscated guns coming back rusty in years old INGO threads.

Roommate is actually doing really well all things considered, a shot broke a few bones in his foot which gives him some problems, but the shot to his head never entered his skull and just wrapped around the outside of it without hitting anything major. I bled considerably as you would guess, but not nearly as bad as it would have been at a slightly different angle.

Also, yes I did have a backup. Switched to a Glock 26 later that morning and then realized I'm not that big of a glock 26 fan in the following weeks.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Ryan, I'm glad that you came out on top, but sad that your gun is now blemished because of careless fools in an evidence locker.
    It seems that the PD should be required to exercise at least basic care in preservation and held liable for damaging anything taken into custody.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    WOW!

I would think any cleaning or oiling of a firearm taken as evidence would alter the evidence and render it inadmissible.

I am bookmarking this thread for future reference as well.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I have always thought, and this thread and TriggerTIME'S comments confirm, never carry a weapon that is expensive or a family heirloom. I used to carry a very nice SW 3914, but have switched over to a SW Bodyguard revolver in the summer and an inexpensive Ruger 9mm for the winter. Carry the $500 guns, nicer handguns go in the safe until range trips..

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    A few years ago my brother was requirwd to secure his handgun in his service truck because he was entering a "secured" building. When he had completed the job & returned to his van he discovered someone had broken into it and his gun was gone. Filed report and then something like 2 years later he gets a call from a detective informing him his gun had been recovered & advised him to call the property room to pick it up. So he gets told the detective has to fill out a release for first. So he plays phone tag with the detective and property room for 6 months before he was able to pick it up. Once he was able to get it back it had some minor surface rust but nothing some flitz couldn't handle. Cleaned it up, ran some rounds through it and now carries it again.

pilotof727s

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2014
    New Palestine
    Playing Devlis Advocate here but wouldn't allowing it to rust alter the evidence too?

WOW!

I would think any cleaning or oiling of a firearm taken as evidence would alter the evidence and render it inadmissible.

I am bookmarking this thread for future reference as well.

HK Guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I'm very certain that the PoPo don't just throw the guns in a barrel. I'm also pretty sure that the guns are kept in individually marked boxes / bags with an evidence tag on them for proper chain of custody. The guns would be stored in a property room that heated and cooled not much different than your house and light rust could happen. It's not like the property room guys could / would open boxes prior to trial to check for rust.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    IANAL, but the gun was involved in a crime (by stopping it.) It had to be held as evidence until the trial was over.

Kirk, Guy, Matlock? Help me out here gents...

Top Bottom