• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    Gunsmithing help! Do it myself, or Firearms Service Center in Lousville, KY?

Has anyone ever dealt or bought from this store in Louisville? Their website looks pretty impressive. I am needing a pretty difficult repair for my Remington 1187. I called Remington and they recommended them. They quoted me a pretty good price. Just curious if anyone has ever had any work done there before and how did it turn out?

newpage

Last edited:

Kenny87ky

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2011
    Louisville, KY
    i have been there a few times, never bought a firearm from them though, the owner of the store is my aunts next door neighbor, but considering their not so friendly relationship I won't let him know I am related to her, I haven't heard anything bad about their performance, other than they can be a bit high, only work I ever had done was a firing pin install on a shotgun though and that was years ago.

I would call and get a price, if it is good enough for you then get the work done there as nothing is wrong with them.

As a side note the store is called "Hunters World" in big words printed on the building and not firearms service center.

As far as inventory they are one of the least impressive stores though, mainly exclusively hunting arms, with 1 or 2 black rifles max(what you see on the photo of there site is it) and a average supply of handguns. If hunting guns are what you like they are good to go though, tactical people should avoid and look elsewhere.

Last edited:

Freeborn Man

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Memphis, IN
    My friend had a set of sights installed on his Glock. They beat the crap out of it and marred his rear sight. So I guess it depends.

Last edited:

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    hmm. They quoted me about $20 more than Remington, but I wouldn't have to ship it, and I'm sure the waiting period is longer at Remington. Gonna have to think on this one.

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    What are you trying to get done to the 1187?

I bought a mag extension for it. I had to remove the dimples in the magazine tube to allow it to work. I read online that taking a 11/16" socket wrench and tapping it in with a hammer would remove the dimples. It did, but it always stretched the magazine tube. I can't get any barrels over the magazine tube now. I tried lightly hammering it back to shape, but it didn't make a bit of a difference.

whocares

Shooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Nov 9, 2010
    Clarksville, IN.
    Yes, and wouldnt recomend

I live in Clarksville and use Kemps in Jeff on Hamburge Pike. I had been using Ron Kemp already when I happened to drive past Hunting World or Louisville Firearms center. New shop to me so obviously I had to stop in. The guys were friendly enough and they are a warranty center for several brands. If I had a warranty issue I would probably use them, maybe. I wanted to get my 1911 slide cut for night sights and get Trijicons installed. Plus extended beaver tail and skeleton hammer.

I used them because Kemps was always such a wait and the price they gave was good for the work. When I got the pistol back it was shoddy work. The slide was marred where they installed the sights. Cosmetic issue, but not what I wanted to see. The slide looked crappy where they had scarred the finish around the sights, but I considered the price and let it go. The big issue was my trigger was screwed bad. I couldnt have operated the pistol in the condition it was in, I mean the trigger pull was horrible, it would stick or not engage until I released, horrible. I took it back and Mr. Roman dry fired a couple times and said OK we will fix it. I got it back a week later and literally no improvement.

I took it to Kemps he dry fired one time and said some one has been trying to work on this. The sear spring and disconnector needed replaced so Mr. Kemp did a trigger job to the tune of $150 with all new Wilson parts to repair what was fine before I let Louisville firearms center work on my 1911. I know why Kemps is so far behind and I know you get what you pay for.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    How tight is the magtube? Could sanding it down be an option? Not sure how you could have flexed it open THAT much that your barrel would no longer go on. I have a tool i made to push the dimples out. just a chunk of cold rolled w/ a taper cut onto it that i can controll how much it swages.

Kenny87ky

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2011
    Louisville, KY
    My friend had a set of sights installed on his Glock. They beat the crap out of it and marred his rear sight. So I guess it depends.

I guess they changed for the worst like many others have, I stopped frequent visits years ago but they were good back then, went there when I was 12 to pick out my first hunting rifle, didn't end up buying from them though.

Try Lotus Gunworks, they are also in Louisville and may be a option.

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    How tight is the magtube? Could sanding it down be an option? Not sure how you could have flexed it open THAT much that your barrel would no longer go on. I have a tool i made to push the dimples out. just a chunk of cold rolled w/ a taper cut onto it that i can controll how much it swages.

I could give it a try. It streched just the slightest bit. I guess at this point, it can't be damaged much worse.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    you pretty much have three options.

I have not seen it, but from what i am envisioning this is the order of what i would try, but would be subject to change once i took some measurements w/ a mic

Sand the mag tube down
    Open up the barrel centering guid

Some combination of the above

replace the mag tube

bore out a tool to swage the mag tube back down.

Top Bottom