Firearms that caused the greatest political change.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sgt 1371

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2008
    Laporte County
    Which firearm in history influenced the politics of this country, or the world the most? Browning 1900 used to assassinate the Archduke Ferdinand and his wife, sparking WWI? Perhaps the Carcano 91/38 Rifle used to assassinate JFK? Brown Bess, the AK-47...???

spitfire51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Well, I believe that the end result of World War I ended up causing World War II, the end result of which led to the Cold War, so I think you could make a strong case for the gun that killed Archduke Ferdinand.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Perhaps the Carcano 91/38 Rifle used to assassinate JFK

Yeah, that led to the use of serial numbers on firearms if I recall right.

Then again, the .44 Derringer that Booth used to shoot Lincoln definitely had an affect on politics.

The .22 Iver Johnson that Sirhan Sirhan used on RFK...

Or how about the shotgun? In WWI the Germans wanted it to be a war crime if shotguns were used, although they had no problem with mustard gas (credited to the History Channel)

Or the Glock used by what's his name in Arizona. As soon as that happened many though high capacity mags were going to be banned again.

I got the winner. The Barrett 50BMG. So awesome, California made them illegal.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    Thompson sub gun
    &
    National Firearms Act

I can't imagine there is any more political significance and loss of rights tied up in any other weapon. Your rights got trampled rapidly in 1934 and have been slowly erroding since.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    It's hard to say.
    I dont know about "greatest political change" but im thinking about the PPK that Hitler used to kill himself.That's quite an important firearm in history but maybe not that important since it was the end of the third Reich anyway.
    Every firearms used in any wars where important and made some political changes.

OZZY.40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    Camby
    What about the revolver used by Hinckley to try to kill Reagan, which lead to the "Brady Bill". That law makes a lot of sense(LOL), ban FA rifles to prevent revolvers from being used.

Top Bottom