• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    ...including all weapons, and fireworks are prohibited on Vigo County parkland."

Went camping this last (extended) weekend. After paying, received park vehicle passes and a pamphlet with "2012 campground information". In the section of "Park Policies"(adopted 7/26/10), the above prohibition can be found 4th on the list.

I am curious why this is prohibited or why they are publishing that possession of firearms in the campground is prohibited? This is one of several Vigo County Parks run by Vigo County Parks and Recreation Dept. The "Campground & Camping Policies" were adopted 4/25/11.

Oh, we had a fantastic time camping with family and friends. The weather could not have been better. The fish could have been bigger... What am I saying, the fish were huge...

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Much like the IN DNR did after they rescinded their "no firearms" policy - they still had oodles and oodles of "old" literature in stock - Park maps and such.

The NEW orders for that stuff reflected the new policies.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suspect that this might be the case here, too.

-J-

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    ...including all weapons, and fireworks are prohibited on Vigo County parkland."

Went camping this last (extended) weekend. After paying, received park vehicle passes and a pamphlet with "2012 campground information". In the section of "Park Policies"(adopted 7/26/10), the above prohibition can be found 4th on the list.

I am curious why this is prohibited or why they are publishing that possession of firearms in the campground is prohibited? This is one of several Vigo County Parks run by Vigo County Parks and Recreation Dept. The "Campground & Camping Policies" were adopted 4/25/11.

Oh, we had a fantastic time camping with family and friends. The weather could not have been better. The fish could have been bigger... What am I saying, the fish were huge...

Since you just spent some time there and liked it, why dont you call them and ask them about their policy and if they are aware of the new laws.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    I just called the Vigo County parks department and asked about firearms in Prairie Creek or Fowler park with or without a license. I was told by the lady who answered that they are indeed prohibited. I asked, in light of SB 292, how that can be. She asked if I would like to speak to the VC Park supt. I said yes and she was currently in a meeting. I left my name and number. What am I missing?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Just a point for your conversation. Once a bill is passed into law, it is no longer referred to as a "bill" as in (SB 292). Refer to the Indiana Code. In this case, Indiana Code sections 35-47-11.1-2 and 3....and 5 and 6 if you have to.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    Just a point for your conversation. Once a bill is passed into law, it is no longer referred to as a "bill" as in (SB 292). Refer to the Indiana Code. In this case, Indiana Code sections 35-47-11.1-2 and 3....and 5 and 6 if you have to.

Thank you, went with what I knew. Was actually expecting to hear that they had never got around to changing the pamphlets or site due to budget constraints.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    Still no return call. Might they be doing some homework? I find it hard to believe that they have not dealt with this before now. Still makes me wonder what I am missing.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Or, if the park is owned by any political subdivision (i.e. city, county, etc) - still applies.

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    In to learn.

The Parks look like they are indeed owned by Vigo County and therefore their statement not only holds no water but needs to be removed from the all information provided by the parks.

What I would like to see next time I go to Fowler is a sign that says "Firearms welcome with license"

Here is the link to the IN law.

Not only does it make it illegal to restrict them but it makes any law restricting before illegal.

Indiana Code 35-47-11.1

Last edited:

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    Original call at 1356. I had not received a call back, so I called them at 1613 and get a recording informing me they are open from 0800-1600. Nice...

To be continued...

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    I've OC'ed in parks mentioned, with a great deal of regularity since 2011, never gotten anything worse than a wave and a smile from staff or LEOs who happened to be on the properties. It may be near Illinois, but it's still Indiana, if you're legal, which you would be with an LTCH, then it's a non issue. Will be interesting to hear the official word, kind of wonder if it's going to take legal action to remedy the literature. Of course now with all these phone calls to the park staff pointing out the policy, I'll probably get stopped next time....

Top Bottom