• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miles2253

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    North Webster
    I have some cherry and ash trees that need taken care of. I just don’t have the time. Would it be reasonable to offer them for sale as firewood? They cut and haul for a dollar amount per load? Is that a thing? If so, what would a fair price be? A couple cherrys are down but still alive. I have dead ash everywhere. I have a large cherry that I want down. Thanks

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I had a buddy who cut some dead ash out of a neighbors woods. He started out paying the neighbor $20 a truckload. But each time he came back the neighbor got pickier and pickier about how the leftover top branches were cleaned up. It started out, just pile them up where they fall. Then it was pile them ALL up in one place. Then it was pile them ALL up over there, in a clearing about 100 feet away. After a few loads my buddy told him to let them ALL rot.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    I have some cherry and ash trees that need taken care of. I just don’t have the time. Would it be reasonable to offer them for sale as firewood? They cut and haul for a dollar amount per load? Is that a thing? If so, what would a fair price be? A couple cherrys are down but still alive. I have dead ash everywhere. I have a large cherry that I want down. Thanks
    Guess if your wanting to make a buck. Alot of people will just say if ya get it out of here ya can have it

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    So, drive to your place in their own truck, use their saw, gas oil, then labor. And you charge them? Is that the question?

Here we get a full pick-up, delivered, cut and split, and stacked for 65 bucks. Good dry hard wood.

Cut it yourself and sell it at the road.
    ^
    Seems like the way to go.

canebreaker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Horn Lake
    I had a few oak and hickory pushed down. Offered it to cut and haul $20 per load, got 1 bite. I cut a few 8 and 10 ft logs and had milled. Tops I cut and split for firewood, offered a wheelbarrow load for $10, got 1 bite. Had the stumps buried.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    If you buck them into rounds, you might get some buyers. I doubt anyone would pay to fell, limb, buck, split and haul your trees. But you never know unless you ask/offer.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    I could possibly see it for the cherry for smoking use. If he was closer to me I might have taken a truck load.
    I could see that; or even someone with a mobile sawmill, maybe. But I'd imagine even those types would only wanna mess with trees already down. His ash trees aren't technically suppose to leave the county due to ash borer. OP didn't really say how large his land is or how many trees he has available in total. If there's enough trees he might be able to hire a logging company, though that brings issues with it. I smoke some meat each summer but to date haven't used any cherry. Does it add a sweetness?

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    So, drive to your place in their own truck, use their saw, gas oil, then labor. And you charge them? Is that the question?

Here we get a full pick-up, delivered, cut and split, and stacked for 65 bucks. Good dry hard wood.

^
    Seems like the way to go.
    8 ft bed? If so that's a pretty good price especially if they stack it. Around me it's usually around $50-60 just dumped for a 6ft bed. If I pick it up $40-50.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I could see that; or even someone with a mobile sawmill, maybe. But I'd imagine even those types would only wanna mess with trees already down. His ash trees aren't technically suppose to leave the county due to ash borer. OP didn't really say how large his land is or how many trees he has available in total. If there's enough trees he might be able to hire a logging company, though that brings issues with it. I smoke some meat each summer but to date haven't used any cherry. Does it add a sweetness?
    Maybe a slight hint of sweetness but not really. It's a good bit milder than hickory but a bit stronger than apple. Good for poultry or anything you want a lighter smoke on. If you can get your hands on it pecan is also good. It's between cherry and hickory to my taste.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    8 ft bed? If so that's a pretty good price especially if they stack it. Around me it's usually around $50-60 just dumped for a 6ft bed. If I pick it up $40-50.
    Yes 8 ft. This guy is retired and a total go getter, he fishes about 2 hrs. every morning, at sunup, 300 days a year. Spends the rest of the day cutting n splitting wood. Well known and very well respected in our area. Don’t think he does it for the money.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Cutting downed trees into firewood is one thing.
    Felling standing trees is another animal altogether.

If you don't have experience felling trees, you can get yourself in serious trouble at the drop of a hat.
    Every year I hear of someone who has experience and managed to drop a tree on themselves, or on a building, or power lines...

Speaking of screwing up, what about your liabilities if someone is injured on your property?
    If they drop a tree on themselves or a buddy helping them, can it come back on you?

Kickback with a chainsaw is another real concern.
    Cherry will go through your chains fairly quickly.
    Ash not so much.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Yes 8 ft. This guy is retired and a total go getter, he fishes about 2 hrs. every morning, at sunup, 300 days a year. Spends the rest of the day cutting n splitting wood. Well known and very well respected in our area. Don’t think he does it for the money.
    Sounds a lot like the guy I usually get wood from. But he doesn't deliver. He will load with his skid loader.

Cutting downed trees into firewood is one thing.
    Felling standing trees is another animal altogether.

If you don't have experience felling trees, you can get yourself in serious trouble at the drop of a hat.
    Every year I hear of someone who has experience and managed to drop a tree on themselves, or on a building, or power lines...

Speaking of screwing up, what about your liabilities if someone is injured on your property?
    If they drop a tree on themselves or a buddy helping them, can it come back on you?

Kickback with a chainsaw is another real concern.
    Cherry will go through your chains fairly quickly.
    Ash not so much.
    Yeah, I was dropping a tree and it split in half, half went where I wanted, half on a power line and just missed the neighbors shed. Felt bad for the one neighbor, 12 HR shift in a hot factory. Comes home expecting cold beer and AC...

I also took out a phone cable, but I knew I was going to. I called them to have them come out, but they said no. Said if it comes down to let them know. I told them there was no if. It shook the poles at least 4 poles down, at the one closest there was about an inch gap all the way around it.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Sounds a lot like the guy I usually get wood from. But he doesn't deliver. He will load with his skid loader.

Yeah, I was dropping a tree and it split in half, half went where I wanted, half on a power line and just missed the neighbors shed. Felt bad for the one neighbor, 12 HR shift in a hot factory. Comes home expecting cold beer and AC...

I also took out a phone cable, but I knew I was going to. I called them to have them come out, but they said no. Said if it comes down to let them know. I told them there was no if. It shook the poles at least 4 poles down, at the one closest there was about an inch gap all the way around it.
    I've seen trees with an obvious lean in one direction, start falling that way, then actually turn and start falling another direction.
    Then there's another issue.
    If you drop a tree and it hangs up in another tree, do you leave it for mature to take down, or do you take down the viable tree just to drop the leaning one?
    Not trying to discourage you from doing it yourself.
    I just don't want to read that you got squashed trying to sell firewood.

Top Bottom