• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cmann250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 2, 2018
    Land of 300bu corn
    Not trying to sound cheap and I heat with wood so I know the effort it takes
    Some people would pay that but none of the folks around here could.. maybe in your area..

I’m high and I know it. I studied marketplace and a local guy always sells out of oak and hickory at $420/cord.

I don’t have a dump trailer so stacking isn’t a big deal since I’ll have to handle it again anyway. I would discount a returning customer taking volume to almost $300/cord.

Worst case, it’ll sell this winter.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I've sold a rick for $100 stacked (I don't have a dump trailer either, wish I did). I've been considering raising the price due to increased fuel costs, and equipment costs.

The wood we season in the sheds comes out looking really nice. Appearance is important when you're demanding premium price. I think you're not too far off on your price for a customer that appreciates quality firewood delivered and stacked.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I've sold a rick for $100 stacked (I don't have a dump trailer either, wish I did). I've been considering raising the price due to increased fuel costs, and equipment costs.

The wood we season in the sheds comes out looking really nice. Appearance is important when you're demanding premium price. I think you're not too far off on your price for a customer that appreciates quality firewood delivered and stacked.
    Not a substitute for a dump trailer, but I have one of these. A load of firewood is too heavy to just crank it off the bed, but it allows me to unload what I can from the sides and end, and then move the pile towards the tailgate as I unload so that I never have to climb up into the bed.

1712052856208.png

Comes in handy for mulch too.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    For you guys that sell firewood do you get more money for wood that is split smaller? Stove wood, a term I remember from being a kid was wood about the diameter and length of a mans forearm.

cmann250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 2, 2018
    Land of 300bu corn
    I haven’t heard that term before, but yes, I aim for the result. I try to make pieces the same size as a 4x4 post.

My theory is that if you are buying firewood, you don’t want to run a saw or swing an axe.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    For you guys that sell firewood do you get more money for wood that is split smaller? Stove wood, a term I remember from being a kid was wood about the diameter and length of a mans forearm.
    So, you know I had to check. I never realized the inside of my elbow to the tip of my middle finger is 16". :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    As for diameter, a 5"x 5"x 5" wedge shape is average for what we cut. And bigger than my forearm. We don't get any more money for smaller split wood, per se. But we do cut 12" for a couple of our customers because their stove is smaller or it is easier to handle a lighter piece.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    So, you know I had to check. I never realized the inside of my elbow to the tip of my middle finger is 16". :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    As for diameter, a 5"x 5"x 5" wedge shape is average for what we cut. And bigger than my forearm. We don't get any more money for smaller split wood, per se. But we do cut 12" for a couple of our customers because their stove is smaller or it is easier to handle a lighter piece.

The distance from your elbow to your wrist is also the length of your foot.;)

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Putting on the new bar and chain tomorrow to finish up the season. The ash I’m working on is a hard a a rock and looking forward to seeing what difference there will be in cutting. It’s about 30” in diameter

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    what killed them all?
    Oak worm. Caterpillars about an inch, inch and a half long. It looked like it was raining green from all the little pieces of leaves falling. Hit us three years in a row. Those closest to the cabin lived, for the most part. I fertilized the hell out of them.

Top Bottom