• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    With work and kids events and a list of crap to do that never gets shorter, I've managed to accomplish a lot in the dark. Usually in a mad rush to beat some weather system that's forecasted.

The most recent was tar papering my porch roof project before a snow, finished with a head lamp on. My wife tried helping with a 1 mil candle power spot light, all that did was blind me.

Other night time activities have been food plot work from mowing, plowing and planting. Have moved tree stands, hauled wood, split wood, the list goes on. There is something peaceful about being out in the dark.

cmann250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 2, 2018
    Land of 300bu corn
    Split and stacked about a cord of cherry, oak, and walnut.

c1be7a3fdee92f5336bda5fd081eb446.jpg

cmann250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 2, 2018
    Land of 300bu corn
    Soooo how well does the tire trick work for splitting?

Seen it online but never tried it.

It works pretty well. It would work better if I fastened the tire to the stump somehow. Sometimes the tire falls off the stump and defeats the whole purpose. Though without the tire, 100% of the splits fall off the chopping block

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    My neighbor is doing a tree removal job just down the road. He asked if I wanted the wood, soft maple, I said yes. Dump trailer, yeah, I need one.
    Me too brother. In 2016, I bought a new Sure-Trac high side utility trailer from Detro. I got it for a good price and it has served me well. But what I know now, I wish I had bought a dump trailer instead. I could have still hauled around the gator and done a whole lot more with it. Now the prices on trailers are off the scale, making it hard to get into one.
    20230505_112010.jpg

JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Soooo how well does the tire trick work for splitting?

Seen it online but never tried it.
    Its "ok". I think it gets anoying picking up the wood over and over one or two pieces at a time. I usually set up a half dozen in a line and split them all until they are all knocked over. Then you can split a few again with out even setting them up.

buckwacker

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    I finally dropped that dead white oak in the back yard. I wasnt watching chain tension closely enough and bent the chain when it jumped off the bar when i started limbing. I didn't get it cleaned up because I had to run to get another chain and ran out of time.

I wanted to ask the braintrust about some peculiarities on the tree. It has a couple swelled areas lower on the trunk, one just above the cut in the pics, one below on the stump. Any idea what causes this and if it would affect the grain through the entire log. I'd hate to just cut and split it up to find some really nice figure in the grain that might be worth something. If it's just shallow due to a recent fungal infection or something (maybe that's what killed the tree) it probably wouldn't be worth saving. 1000001912.jpg 1000001911.jpg

Top Bottom