• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Glad you're taken care of CM! I really didn't want them to leave the really big stuff, but they wanted to charge me more to haul it away and it was already $1600 just to have the tree taken down and stump ground out (they're coming back to do the stump and finish cleaning up today). Hopefully I can man-handle the big chunks onto the splitter myself. Might have been worth the extra to have them haul it. :):
    Years back I rented a splitter for some big pieces that were no go by hand. My brother was supposed to help and as usual, was running late. So I muscle a few of the smaller pices into the thing and almost popped my gut doing it. My brother gets there and says cool, you rented a splitter the flips down. He removes a pin and the splitter flips from a horizontal position to what is shown. I just pretended I knew it did that, but I did not. So, moral of the story, see if you can rent one like this:

s-l1000.jpg

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    A cord is 4'x4'x8' for 128 cubic feet of wood. A face cord (rick) is 1/3 of that, using 16" logs (3 rick to a cord). So, about 42.6 cubic feet or so.

Standard short-bed on a full size truck is 6.25 x 5 (roughly). Maybe 2' deep. Gives us a volume of 62.5 cubic feet. About 1/2 cord, or 1.5 ricks.

A long bed is 8 x5 x2, for 80 cubic feet. Close to 2 ricks, but still shy of a cord.

So....
    8÷2(2+2)=1 Rick

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Years back I rented a splitter for some big pieces that were no go by hand. My brother was supposed to help and as usual, was running late. So I muscle a few of the smaller pices into the thing and almost popped my gut doing it. My brother gets there and says cool, you rented a splitter the flips down. He removes a pin and the splitter flips from a horizontal position to what is shown. I just pretended I knew it did that, but I did not. So, moral of the story, see if you can rent one like this:

s-l1000.jpg
    Oh yeah. I've helped a buddy split huge pieces with one like that. That's what I'm getting.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    DoggyDaddy, you might wait till winter and the wood is frozen. Takes a very large splitter for that hard maple when it's wet. Pops apart when frozen. My 2 cents
    This tree has been dead for a year. It was "seasoned on the hoof" so to speak. :): It should split pretty easy as brittle as the smaller branches were. That and the grain is nice and straight.

I'm supposed to be getting it Saturday (tried for Friday but it was already reserved), so at least I'll have it both Saturday and Sunday for the price of one day (Sunbelt Rentals is closed on Sundays).

Top Bottom