• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Anyone including fireworks into their Bug out Bags? I thought it might be a good idea. Things like whistling bottle rockets and M-1000's can be used as a sort of signal flare and smoke grenades for various reasons. If nothing else for the expolsive and flammable content they contain?

What are your thoughts on this?

HAPPY BIRTHDAY AMERICA!

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I agree. I actually have it listed under attention getters/noisemakers in my list. Here's a link to an Excel spreadsheet I made to get people started on a BoB. http://indyhpmedia.com/index.php?dir=misc/&file=bugoutbagingo.xls I typed it in another thread on here if you can't do Excel. I can find it if you are interested.

Nice. I have added a few things to my own and subed Vienna Sauseage and ramen noodles for MRE's. I've added a USB solar charger because the wires can be spliced, A pouch of rolling tobacco along with some cigars and some marlboros in tubes, a small bottle of hennessy to keep warm, and a couple other things I cant remember off the top of my head. Plus the bottle rockets which I just found out are loud as hell (TNT brand) and some M-1000 clones that aren't as loud but make a nice bang.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Of course you know that alcohol only makes you "feel" warm but actually thins the blood, cools the body, and dehydrates you.... right? ;)
    :cheers:

Of course. And it also helps to caughterize(sp?) wounds, celebrate kicking azz, setting your enemies ablaze, whatever!:patriot:

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Then there are jerks like me that disassemble fireworks and make bigger fireworks, all while jamming out the U2 as loud as it will go (Blown Away reference).

Been there done that. Sometimes still do. Yea, we gota go have some drinks sometime! LOL:cheers:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Vaccum pack them. They will probably degenerate anyways (not the highest quality materials in their combustion media), but sealing them against O2 will help them from doing so as quick.

Can we get those in Indiana? :D:D:D:D

Ill stop these ruffians, with my VernBombs from my VernBelt!:D

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    REAL M-80's were outlawed in Indiana. There is an outta state Fireworks store/warehouse on I-74 by Danville, IL before you cross over into IL. I think its the second to last exit before you enter the "No-Zone". Either way, you make a trip to Kentucky or Tennesse and buy the real thing. Or combine two M-1000's or more to get the same effect! :D As far as storage, Vaccum packing is good. Does anyone know what happens to explosive that has been sitting for a few years? Like Dynomite, it can start sweating nitroglyceren if it is potent enough. If you don't know about nitro, here's two tips. One. DON'T DROP OR BANG IT AROUND!!!!!!! Tip Two. REFER TO TIP ONE. Acutally the longer things that go bang sit around, the more potent they are but the more careful you must be. Kinda like a 21 year old bottle of Jack Daniels...

am94pm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    I agree. I actually have it listed under attention getters/noisemakers in my list. Here's a link to an Excel spreadsheet I made to get people started on a BoB. http://indyhpmedia.com/index.php?dir=misc/&file=bugoutbagingo.xls I typed it in another thread on here if you can't do Excel. I can find it if you are interested.

Keep in mind all the extra stuff you put in your bag adds wieght. I see a few thing on the list I would get ride of. Fireworks work ok in a pinch, but I would rather have flares. The wistle is a simple yet affective noise maker, next to your firearm.

am94pm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Also I think we can all help with this. I think it would be a good idea to add the weight of individual items to the speadsheet to help others decide what to put in their bags. For example the weight of flash light batteries (C,D,AA,AAA,CR123), food rations, med supplies you get the jist. All in all I thnk that the list is a good reference.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Keep in mind all the extra stuff you put in your bag adds wieght. I see a few thing on the list I would get ride of. Fireworks work ok in a pinch, but I would rather have flares. The wistle is a simple yet affective noise maker, next to your firearm.

Of course weight is always a consideration. While my truck practicticlly is my BOB, I have two packs and two smaller ammo cans should I need to hoof it. I keep my BOB ready to accomodate me and possibly two others (it is only a regular cab truck) with food, first aid, shelter, and protection. Even small equipment that can be used for communication. 2-way radio, prepaid cell phone, Short burst FM transmitter(6ft), and a small solar charger. And a BB gun since it's the closest to a Long Gun I have at the moment. I even keep two small fishing poles should I run out of vienna sausage and ramen noodles!

The fireworks, especially the whistling rockets, are cheaper, smaller, and somewhat more effective for more situations. Sometimes you want someone to know the general area you are in and keep others you don't want from where exactly you are. Just tie a couple fuses together and you have a longer delay before the rocket fires. They can even be more effective to make fire than a flare or flare gun as those are more valuable.

pmpmstrb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008

I completely agree. I didn't compile the list as a "you must have all this" list. I looked at multiple lists of common items and compiled them all into one list just to help people get started. You can add and subtract as you see fit to accommodate what you think your needs are going to be. If I find the time I will add on the weights of some of the items that I have. After I start, I'll post with the items I don't have and see if anyone here can help me out.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    REAL M-80's were outlawed in Indiana. There is an outta state Fireworks store/warehouse on I-74 by Danville, IL before you cross over into IL. I think its the second to last exit before you enter the "No-Zone". Either way, you make a trip to Kentucky or Tennesse and buy the real thing. Or combine two M-1000's or more to get the same effect!
    You can not legally get real "M-80's" anywhere in the country without an explosives license. "M-80's" contained 2-3 grams of flash (2000-3000mg). Any legal firework in the U.S. is limited to 50 mg of flash powder. You could make your own flash, but that's not legal either.

Does anyone know what happens to explosive that has been sitting for a few years? Like Dynomite, it can start sweating nitroglyceren if it is potent enough. If you don't know about nitro, here's two tips. One. DON'T DROP OR BANG IT AROUND!!!!!!! Tip Two. REFER TO TIP ONE. Acutally the longer things that go bang sit around, the more potent they are but the more careful you must be.

This type of dynamite is almost never encountered anymore. Varieties of gelignite, ANFO packs, or plastic explosives are used today. Explosives generally do not become more potent, often they become more sensitive, but will generally decline in explosive force, especially if exposed to water.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom