• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dthm03

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2013
    fort wayne
    So, I just got my very first 1911. Should arrive later this week. So, now what? I think for the most part I want to keep it fairly stock. Maybe new grips. What are some good places to find grips?

pix466965194.jpg

dthm03

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2013
    fort wayne
    SERp. Thanks for the link. Exactly what I was looking for. What about guid rods? I see a lot of chatter on one piece vs single vs short... I think it comes with the 2 piece. Any thoughts for me to consider?

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'll join the chorus of those saying to just go shoot it. The best mod you can do to a 1911 is to change it from being unfired to well used. I'd recommend holding off on grips until you know what you like. Grips are almost as bad a holsters in their ability to accumulate. Next to my collection of cheap holsters I bought, I have a collection of 1911 grips that I went through on my path to the perfect grips. Some of the grips I spent good money for are now unused and more than one pistol has gone back to its original grips. VZGrips are excellent, but when you buy a set of desert tan grips for your pistol you just painted FDE, and then decide to go in a different direction, they don't look right on much else.

Also, be careful of mods that provide no real benefit. The whole guide rod thing seems to be one of those to me. The best thing you can do is to shoot the gun and get to know it. Then, if you decide to modify it, make mods that will work better for you.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Mods come after 500 rounds. Shoot the gun "In"

Look at trigger work but stay sane with it. Look at barrel bushing fit and do something with that. Grips are a personal thing. The grips I run make some guys look at me cross eyed but they work for me. Function over appearance.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I consider myself lucky, my springfield loaded parkerized is what I consider to be a perfect 1911 out of the box. I don't want to change a thing other than the price of mags and ammo to feed the thing.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I consider myself lucky, my springfield loaded parkerized is what I consider to be a perfect 1911 out of the box. I don't want to change a thing other than the price of mags and ammo to feed the thing.

They are great out of the box. I have that same gun. It was great. Then I sent it to the Springer custom shop and now it is "Better"
    That was just as I started doing my own work. Now if I have a question or some doubt I look to that gun for answers.

dthm03

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2013
    fort wayne
    Church, what did you have them do to it? This is a "Loaded" version. I have shot one before and it was love at first shot. I don't predict doing much to do, but you never know.
    I have looked into the whole "idiot mark" thing, i'm fairly confident I will avoid that. Any other things to watch for on this 1911?

One more question.. Ammo.. I currently reload a majority of my 45s. I shoot a XD 45 as my main target gun. Sometimes i'll get lazy and grab some cheap silver bear or wolf ammo if i haven't reloaded in a while. I was considering only shooting brass factory rounds in the 1911. What do you guys shoot? Should I stick with factory brass only? Or maybe brass for the first 500 rounds?

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Church, what did you have them do to it? This is a "Loaded" version. I have shot one before and it was love at first shot. I don't predict doing much to do, but you never know.
    I have looked into the whole "idiot mark" thing, i'm fairly confident I will avoid that. Any other things to watch for on this 1911?

One more question.. Ammo.. I currently reload a majority of my 45s. I shoot a XD 45 as my main target gun. Sometimes i'll get lazy and grab some cheap silver bear or wolf ammo if i haven't reloaded in a while. I was considering only shooting brass factory rounds in the 1911. What do you guys shoot? Should I stick with factory brass only? Or maybe brass for the first 500 rounds?

I had the entire gun worked. Slide to frame fit/trigger/barrel and bushing.
    To the casual shooter I would suggest trigger work and Barrel bushing fit up. Beyond that unless you are a stone-cold addict maybe a wide blade thumb safety if that fits your shooting style.

As to ammo I only shoot brass cased in anything I own. JMHO and choice.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Mods come after 500 rounds. Shoot the gun "In"

Look at trigger work but stay sane with it. Look at barrel bushing fit and do something with that. Grips are a personal thing. The grips I run make some guys look at me cross eyed but they work for me. Function over appearance.
    Pfft... I've seen them come after only one post! :rules::mods:

Top Bottom