• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    Petersburg IN
    I picked up my first 1911 last Tues. Para Ordnance, or Para USA, GI Expert ESP. Ive read a lot of reviews on this before i purchased it. A lot of complaints about the para coat wears off quick from holstering, and the mags arent that great with a lot of FTF or could just not yet be broken in.
    MY experience so far.
    BTW the ''ESP" model is slightly different from the standard gi expert being that the esp has a fiber optic front site, extended beavertail grip safety, and a different trigger. I bought a Blackhawk serpa holster for it and it fits perfectly, it doesnt list the para on the back but it works. I love the fit and finish. Before taking it to the range i had notice that when I put a full mag in and cock it the cartridge gets stuck halfway sometimes, mayb to do with the break in cycle again, i dont know. It also happens when the slides back and put a mag in and use the slide release. It got better tho, hardly does it now. I put 100 rounds through it at the range today and had maybe three FTF's. I wouldnt say its the mag just the brass seems to be getting stuck halfway in the barrel, at a weird angle, but reviews have said they bought wilson combat or other mags and never had the problem again. If i cock the slide as quick as i can it never does it, so i cant pull it back and admire the .45 round n let go. I went through two mags pulling the trigger as fast as i could and no problems at all. and no FTE. I was using Blazer brass from rural king. I was shooting at the 25 yard range, the shortest that was there. im not that great of a shot either and was standing trying to take my time and aim. i landed about 10 or so on the target one hit on the edge of the bullseye. Newbie on shooting so i didnt save the target:( Next time ill know and have a better range report. All in all I LOVE THE GUN! cant beat it for $530. Not sure how to put a picture up yet but ill get some up.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    Petersburg IN
    GetAttachment.aspx
    GetAttachment.aspx
    GetAttachment.aspx
    GetAttachment.aspx

johenz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Indianapols, IN
    I've been carrying a GI Expert for an EDC gun since last August. I bought it used, but it was in pristine condition. The guy claimed only to have put 50 rounds through it and I tend to believe him. It's a great shooter. The fit of the weapon is real good, but I'll vouch for the fact that the finish sucks.

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    Para's "cheaper" finishes are nothing but an epoxy type paint. They will wear rather quickly. The guns themselves are hit and miss as to quality. Some are good, some aren't. Sounds like yours is a good one, just run about 2-300 rounds through it for a good break-in. I had a LTC that was perfect, sold it to my Dad. Now I have an older P-14 and the finish is pretty much gone but the gun functions perfectly.

Top Bottom