• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I’m a 1911 guy through and through. As others have, I’d recommend a Ruger SR1911. Two of my friends have them and they shoot really well for an entry level 1911. If I were in your shoes, that’s the route I’d go.

A close second would be *gasp* Kimber. Their basic models are in the mid-$600s. My Kimber pistols (sample size: 2) shoot satisfactorily. I’ve had none of the common Kimber gripes with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was only a matter of time.......:):

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yes. Do I need to say it louder? KIMBER!

My experience with Kimber has been positive :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There has to be many good ones out there. Has to be.
    I owned a few of the early ones and they were OK. But my experiences since then have not been positive plus having more than a few laid out on the bench.

If you own-em and like-em then run-em.....enjoy...:)

Oh, and stop yelling we can hear you....:):

jake 2000

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    indianapolis
    The ruger does look like a nice pistol for the money probably the route I'll take. But was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Remington seen these for around the same price as ruger and also the Taurus these are even cheaper and it's machined frame not cast but I've never owned a Taurus or even shot one for that matter i know none of my rugers have ever let me down hell even named my dog ruger so probably the way I'll go just curious about the others

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    The "lowest end" 1911 I will ever recommend is the Colt Competition Pistol, it can be had on several sites right now for $830. I will not recommend Springfield due to their trechary, and won't consider RIA or Taurus. A 1911 is a just inherently more expensive platform and in the $500 range IMHO you would be much better off purchasing a polymer pistol.
    Educate me about SAs treachery. I've seen it mentioned in other posts but am unaware what it entails.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    For the money I'd have to go with Springfield. They put out a good product for the money.
    As far as their treachery goes... It wasn't directed at me so I really don't give a **** either way.
    Corporate responsibility must be first and foremost.
    Politics are always going to leave a bad taste in anyone's mouth.
    You should stand up for all citizens even if what Springfield did wasn't directed at us Hoosiers. If Springfield pulled that crap here would you not want Illinois residents to not care?

When they came for XYZ you didn't say anything because it didn't effect you.

Then they came for XYZ but you remained silent because it didn't effect you.

Then they came for your XYZ and no one was left but you to stand up for what's right.

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    If the politics of gun manufacturers are a deciding factor of purchases, no one should own a Ruger or S&W.
    Are there statutes of limitations with this?

I remember Ruger and S&W both sending American gun owners a big middle finger and siding with anti-2A politics to save their own butts.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The ruger does look like a nice pistol for the money probably the route I'll take. But was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Remington seen these for around the same price as ruger and also the Taurus these are even cheaper and it's machined frame not cast but I've never owned a Taurus or even shot one for that matter i know none of my rugers have ever let me down hell even named my dog ruger so probably the way I'll go just curious about the others

I know I will get Boo-Hoo'd for this but stay away from the Taurus if you can. If your budget is that tight do as you will but brother I would save up a bit more and go with a better brand. I have had a couple of Remington's with good results.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If the politics of gun manufacturers are a deciding factor of purchases, no one should own a Ruger or S&W.
    Are there statutes of limitations with this?

I remember Ruger and S&W both sending American gun owners a big middle finger and siding with anti-2A politics to save their own butts.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

Yes sir. I remember this as well.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    You should stand up for all citizens even if what Springfield did wasn't directed at us Hoosiers. If Springfield pulled that crap here would you not want Illinois residents to not care?

When they came for XYZ you didn't say anything because it didn't effect you.

Then they came for XYZ but you remained silent because it didn't effect you.

Then they came for your XYZ and no one was left but you to stand up for what's right.

I get what you're saying Croy and in a perfect utopian civilization I'd be on board with this thinking.
    However from my experience on this rock I can only depend on myself and look no farther. I won't whine when they come for me or mine.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I've had fantastic luck with Ruger's SR1911 platform, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. New or used, it easily falls within your budget.

i3ctSMm.jpg
    [/IMG]

1. Got to get ready for work, so I don't have time to read the thread, advice I followed above.
    2. I spent $600 for a big Ruger 1911 .45, and presently have the Ruger Lightweight Officer 1911 9mm for the same.
    3. I was told at the time of my 1st 1911 purchase that this was a good starting point.
    4. Everyone else is probably saying the same: I'll read the thread later this evening: good luck with your purchase! :thumbsup:

hANNAbONE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Afford a better chunk of iron like the Springer

Getting something less expensive instead of getting something that will be

Continually useful and a pleasure to shoot outweighs all else.

Get the Springer and smile until you can afford something even better.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    What your going to want to do is locate A Tisas 1911, I think for around $400.00 you can be in the game! I don't think you will be happy with it at all. The one I saw finish was awful, I am not sure if the are made of pot metal? I am sure it will serve you well as a constant reminder of spending a bit more, really would have been the smartest move, even if it delays the purchase.

I can wholly endorse the Sr1911 built to a price point higher than its cost. I have the 45 cal lightweight CMD. It has been flawless, added a mag well changed grips, reliable as all get out. Customer service that is top self, never needed it but nice to know it s there.

However, here is the but, once you get one you might as well go out and buy a larger safe! Your going to need it. It will invite more 1911's!

Or just go the route of the El Cheapo.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I went though this search about a year ago.

1. Personally I absolutely cannot stand a weapon that will not operate it has to have a 99.9% reliabilty rate.
    2. Passable accuracy is a must.
    3. I sought the advise of the 1911 gurus’s of INGO

I settled on a DW Valor it has proved itself worthy of the praise the INGO “grayhairs” gave it.
    Yes they cost $$ But a good 1911 does.
    Some of the lower priced DW models are about $1000.00 new used ones are in the $800-900 if you can find one they are well worth the extra $$.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    For the money I'd have to go with Springfield. They put out a good product for the money.
    As far as their treachery goes... It wasn't directed at me so I really don't give a **** either way.
    Corporate responsibility must be first and foremost.
    Politics are always going to leave a bad taste in anyone's mouth.

Yep. What Harry said.

SA1911-Original.jpg

Top Bottom