• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ScottCollins

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2017
    NWI
    Hey guys i've never owned a 1911 and i'm on here hoping to know what a "Good" 1911 is, and what a "Bad" or a certain 1911 to stay away from. As far as looks go, if you're familiar with the movie the punisher, displayed on that movie is a pair of black 1911's with silver accents as well as a silver compensator and i really liked that. Would really appreciate any and all input received from you guys! Thank you.

Attachments

• Punisher 1911.jpg
      Punisher 1911.jpg
      17.5 KB · Views: 29

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    1st....what is your budget. What you are looking into is not cheap and certainly not entry level.
    It can be achieved in a few different ways.
    My EDC is a stainless Springer TRP that is full of Hot-Rod after market goodies including the barrel you are lusting for. Not black with the stainless accents but I have one of those as well.
    You can find a good platform and add the pretty's you desire.

PTWzWwU.jpg

IrEntgk.jpg

This is a Champion that did not have any stainless on it out of the box. Just an example.

o1oOCqA.jpg

ScottCollins

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2017
    NWI
    Churchmouse:
    As far as a budget goes, i want something around $600-650 before i put a trigger, comp, hammer, etc. into it.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Churchmouse:
    As far as a budget goes, i want something around $600-650 before i put a trigger, comp, hammer, etc. into it.

Cruise the classifieds when you get your post count up. I have picked up 2 Springer loaded for your budget figure. Sweet guns and well worth the money.
    If you do all the stainless and a comp barrel you will spend that money again and more as most of those parts have to be fit by a smith.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    As a fellow Punisher fan if you want a movie accurate gun you have to use a Colt IMHO, You can get a brand new Colt Competition Pistol for ~$850 (I personally recommend you stretching the budget a bit to be movie accurate). Then you add a threaded barrel to mate to the compensator , the Clark Custom one is as close as I can find but i bet Allen M can make you a exact replica of the movie compensator if you are willing to spend the $$. Then you just need a Smith and Alexander mag well and stainless small parts fit and front strap checkering and the gun is done. When its all said and done I expect an exact replica to be in the $2300 range after gunsmithing costs, but you will have a sweat pistol. The 1911's used in the movies were actually Novak Custom jobs so you will have to have a trigger job done as well.

Random side note, in the new Netflix Punisher series (really really well done IMHO as a Punisher fan) Frank carried a Kimber Warrior 1911 and used it throughout the season.

Punisher, The (2004) - Internet Movie Firearms Database - Guns in Movies, TV and Video Games

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog.../CLT+GOVERNMENT+45ACP+5+COMPETITION+SERIES+70

https://www.brownells.com/handgun-p...ls/1911-drop-in-compensator-kit-prod5009.aspx

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    As a fellow Punisher fan if you want a movie accurate gun you have to use a Colt IMHO, You can get a brand new Colt Competition Pistol for ~$850 (I personally recommend you stretching the budget a bit to be movie accurate). Then you add a threaded barrel to mate to the compensator , the Clark Custom one is as close as I can find but i bet Allen M can make you a exact replica of the movie compensator if you are willing to spend the $$. Then you just need a Smith and Alexander mag well and stainless small parts fit and front strap checkering and the gun is done. When its all said and done I expect an exact replica to be in the $2300 range after gunsmithing costs, but you will have a sweat pistol. The 1911's used in the movies were actually Novak Custom jobs so you will have to have a trigger job done as well.

Random side note, in the new Netflix Punisher series (really really well done IMHO as a Punisher fan) Frank carried a Kimber Warrior 1911 and used it throughout the season.

Punisher, The (2004) - Internet Movie Firearms Database - Guns in Movies, TV and Video Games

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog.../CLT+GOVERNMENT+45ACP+5+COMPETITION+SERIES+70

https://www.brownells.com/handgun-p...ls/1911-drop-in-compensator-kit-prod5009.aspx

Now you have went and scared the new guy Dean.....:nono:

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Now you have went and scared the new guy Dean.....:nono:

What if you want to do a movie or video game gun do it correctly, a video game gun is actually what my Operator is based off (Solid Snakes Operator is MGSV). I was just trying to be helpful and point him in the right general direction. Nothing wrong with doing it piece by piece, though that comp will be expensive as I will bet it has to be custom made in order to be 100% correct .

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    What if you want to do a movie or video game gun do it correctly, a video game gun is actually what my Operator is based off (Solid Snakes Operator is MGSV). I was just trying to be helpful and point him in the right general direction. Nothing wrong with doing it piece by piece, though that comp will be expensive as I will bet it has to be custom made in order to be 100% correct .

Doing one in that manner will be very expensive.
    Clark has a great comp. drop in (sometimes..:)) that is 40 in 1 threaded. I am sure AllenM can make him a cop to spec.
    I was just trying to ease him into this gently.....:):

I had no idea there was a following for this. I know the "Look" is popular.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Good thread.
    Springer = "Springfield Armory" (also called "SA") is a goodoption if you can find a used loaded model
    Remingtons were selling pretty cheap AND with rebates recently, you could check there. They have an enhanced version that has a threaded barrel.
    If you start out with a threaded barrel, the comp can be put on easily as an aftermarket part to limit your need for gunsmith $$ (correct? anyone please inform me if I'm wrong). It won't be an exact replica of the Punisher's gun, but close.
    Colts are good, especially if you can find used at the right price.

P.S. Find multiple reviews from folks that have put LOTS of rounds through their specific 1911 before they share their opinion.
    I have a Dan Wesson and love it... but you pay for the fit and finish and higher quality parts from the factory.
    MANY of the $600-700 guns run quite well, especially after a couple hundred rounds to break them in.

What is MORE important for you, looks ("exact replica") or function? You may have to sacrifice a bit of one for the other if you want it to stay under $1500-2000.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    You could always follow Churchmouse and me..... you start with a base gun and make a list of all the “wants” for your piece. You stop at Diamond Collision in Avon and see the 1911 Master AllenM. Drop your list off with a blank check and just wait for the phone to ring letting you know you can come pick up your dream gun! I have had to fight the urge lately to stay away from Avon. I did just have a birthday....maybe a new piece is a perfect present to myself. :rockwoot:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You could always follow Churchmouse and me..... you start with a base gun and make a list of all the “wants” for your piece. You stop at Diamond Collision in Avon and see the 1911 Master AllenM. Drop your list off with a blank check and just wait for the phone to ring letting you know you can come pick up your dream gun! I have had to fight the urge lately to stay away from Avon. I did just have a birthday....maybe a new piece is a perfect present to myself. :rockwoot:

I am still struggling with getting a comped 10 mm very similar to yours.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    These guns certainly have evolved. Wow.

Gonna throw my two cents in here. I have an STi, and two Rugers the Government and the Lightweight Cmd in 45 acp and both are very nice. The STi has far superior fit finish, the Ruger will run just as well at half the cost. I have no worries as an Edc with an extra mag.

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    OP, you need to take a tour of the 300+ pages of the 1911 show and tell section. When your eyes are sufficiently burned out, then come back and decide. Be prepared to empty your wallet, some of these guys have quite a few items that will leave you drooling!

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    OP, you need to take a tour of the 300+ pages of the 1911 show and tell section. When your eyes are sufficiently burned out, then come back and decide. Be prepared to empty your wallet, some of these guys have quite a few items that will leave you drooling!

This is what he's talking about: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/4714-1911-show-n-tell.html
    enjoy...

What your asking for is possible, but a lot depends on the overall budget and your time frame (if you can slowly upgrade over 1-2 years)
    Just a decent 1911 for $600 can be tough, and used will be your best option. If the budget for gun is $750-1000 then you have a lot more options.
    ... then come the upgrades which will always cost more when done after the fact (unless you are the machinist and gunsmith). So, if there's a factory gun that is relatively close, it may be much cheaper (overall) to buy that gun and then make the few mods afterwards - instead of buying a very different gun and changing all of it.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom