• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • A_Tomic

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Orland, IN
    Just got my reloading gear last week and here are the results of my first loads. I am really pleased at how well this turned out. If you take your time and do a lot of research on load data you can get very good results.

I am kinda starting out slow and bought a Lee breach lock and I have purchased 380acp, 9mm and 45acp dies. I am still waiting on the small pistol primers. They should be here next week.

I am using Alliant Red Dot powder and for my first 45acp I am using Berry's Preferred Plated bullets in a 200g HP.

Data for 45ACP:
    200g HP Berry copper plated
    Alliant Red Dot
    Remington large pistol primer
    1.195" Over all length (OAL)

I tried two loads - a 4.8 grain load and a 5.0 grain load. Both were made to a 1.195" OAL

Here are the finished bullets.
    picture.php

Here are the results shot from a Thompson 1911 at 30 feet and 50 feet at Midwest Gun and Range in Elkhart.

picture.php

picture.php

I will try to post results from the 9mm and 380acp after I get the small pistol primers.

I was hoping for good results, but I am amazed at how much better these bullets shot than winchester target bullets... I started out with loads that are a little lighter with velocities of around 840fps to 870fps

I think I will be a reloading nut from here on out..:rockwoot:

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    Just one note. Unless you have a chronograph (you don't state you have one, so I'm assuming you don't as you're just starting reloading), you don't know how fast your bullets are traveling. Relying on the published data to estimate this is a trap since you'll not reproduce what the testers did with their barrels. A chrony is essential to KNOWING what is happening out of the barrel.

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    Yep, if you're going to just shoot factory ammo then fire away, but when you start working up your own loads get at least an inexpensive chrono to start with and record your shooting session results with load and chrono data.:yesway:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    A big +1 for the chrono.

Also, isn't 1.195" a bit short for this cartridge (min OAL per SAMMI is 1.200").

My Lee manual shows several loads for 200gr bullets shorter than even 1.195". Some are as short as 1.155". Lyman Pistol and Revolver manual shows 1.178" for a 200gr JHP.

I second the calls for a chronograph. A very basic one like mine only costs $100. It only tells me how fast the bullet is going, but I can add upgrades if I ever feel the need. You'll be amazed at how "optimistic" the velocities in the manuals can be. It can also help you figure out why a load may not be working.

You are just starting to get addicted to reloading. Wait till you decide that perhaps Titegroup will give better groups, or maybe such and such a powder will give better groups AND better velocities. THEN you'll be a true junky :D

A_Tomic

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Orland, IN
    a Chronograph would be nice

Yes, I agree a Chronograph would be nice.

I just thought some people may want to know what the velocity range should be. That's why I gave a range of 840fps to 870fps. That comes from published recipes and even if they have used a Chronograph, I could expect a different result with my gun. Even if I used the same bullets they used.

For OAL I thought I was a little long. The Lee guide shows that min OAL for a 200 grain Jacketed bullet using Red Dot is 1.175". Handloads.com shows that a 200 grain JHP using Red Dot min OAL is 1.175" but, most other data I read shows 200 grain JHP with an OAL of around 1.9" so I settled in on 1.195" because I didn't want to create too much pressure.

I also shot Winchester target loads along with these back to back and these loads felt lighter than the Winchesters. I didn't have any FTF's so I thought they worked pretty good. And they sure did hit the target nice... even out to 50 feet.

I couldnt find any data for the Berry's Preferred Plated bullets using Red Dot powder, so I kinda treated them as though they were JHP's even though they are copper plated HP's.

Thanks for all the input. I am looking at Chronographs and that would be a cool thing to have.

I am also looking into making my own tumbler for cleaning brass. I will post pics if I make something that works good.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    snip

I couldnt find any data for the Berry's Preferred Plated bullets using Red Dot powder, so I kinda treated them as though they were JHP's even though they are copper plated HP's.
    snip

Berry's FAQ recommends using the low to mid-range data for jacketed bullets.

DaleB

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2010
    Bedford, IN
    Excuse me for jumping in here, but was it necessary to buy both .380 AND 9mm dies? I load both those with one set of dies, for instance I load .38 and .357 with .38 dies, and I use a spacer when switching from short to long cartridges to eliminate having to adjust the dies. I am referring to the bullet seating dies only, since you want to full-length size whatever brass you are running. And until you get a chronograph, keep an eye on your primers. If you notice them "flattening out" BACK OFF on your load.

Top Bottom