• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    Just started to reload. Lee Classic Turret was set up and loaded 50 rounds for my 45ACP. Started with 5.2 gr of Unique pushing 230 gn PRN (from X-treme). AOL was 1.271". Used Remington primers in mixed brass.

I was so pumped when that first round went bang and surprised I hit the cardboard that was set up at 10 yds. Had 2 rounds that failed to go bang, both in my SR45. Put both in my Range Officer and one of them did fire. Wonder if I managed to "contaminate" these 2 primers. Did "finger" a few when loading, trying to get the feel of the press.

So far, so good. Now for more practice ... loading and shooting.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    I finger every primer I reload. I use the old Lee hand primers with the screw on shell holders. I have no issues with primers not going off. But then I am diabetic and have extremely dry skin. My fingerprints couldn't rust carbon steel. LOL

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Congrats on your first loads...

I'd be surprised if you found a way to contaminate your primers... A member here recently conducted a test where he soaked some rounds
    in a 5 gal bucket and they still went bang...

Fist thing I would suspect would be you had a couple that weren't fully seated within the pocket...

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    Congrats on your first loads...

I'd be surprised if you found a way to contaminate your primers... A member here recently conducted a test where he soaked some rounds
    in a 5 gal bucket and they still went bang...

Fist thing I would suspect would be you had a couple that weren't fully seated within the pocket...

Tried to check the seating of all the primers, but possibly overlooked a couple. I can say that I did not take advantage of the turret's speed. Between checking primers, charge, and OAL, those 50 rounds took a while to complete. Lot to learn yet.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Congrats are in order..nascarfantoo

Just started to reload. Lee Classic Turret was set up and loaded 50 rounds for my 45ACP. Started with 5.2 gr of Unique pushing 230 gn PRN (from X-treme). AOL was 1.271". Used Remington primers in mixed brass.

I was so pumped when that first round went bang and surprised I hit the cardboard that was set up at 10 yds. Had 2 rounds that failed to go bang, both in my SR45. Put both in my Range Officer and one of them did fire. Wonder if I managed to "contaminate" these 2 primers. Did "finger" a few when loading, trying to get the feel of the press.

WELCOME to the world of reloading--There is NO turning back..HA HA..

" Wonder if I managed to "contaminate" these 2 primers. Did "finger" a few when loading, trying to get the feel of the press. "

^^^Very doubtful that you damaged or contaminated these primers. As noted in above post, probably a seating problem. This will occur more often when you are loading with mixed brass--hardly any of them will 'Feel' the same when seating. I know it takes longer, but that's why I sort my brass.

The 'Key' to good handloads is to take your time, and do everything the same way each time--This will produce the most accurate and safe loads..Bill.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Welcome to the club. I'm still new at this (10,000'ish rounds loaded-I'd have to check my logbook) and I think it's great. I wish I would have started sooner. Just wait, it'll get worse. Next thing you know you will be buying 4 different powders and loading 6 different loads for each powder until you find that perfect combination. At least that's what I did but I also have a serious OCD/AR issue (or so I'm told). Loading cheaper than factory ammo and getting much better accuracy is a huge benefit to me. It's enjoyable and I get the satisfaction of knowing what I am shooting. Pretty soon you'll want a progressive so you can load more so you can go shooting more often.

So, how big was the smile when that first round went down range and hit the cardboard?

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles

You, would have to have lube or some other "material", on your finger to contaminate a primer. I once boiled a reload, and was afraid to fire it, I took it apart, and fired the primer, and it went bang, and lit the powder, it burned..... Good luck, have fun, and be careful !!!!!

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    You, would have to have lube or some other "material", on your finger to contaminate a primer. I once boiled a reload, and was afraid to fire it, I took it apart, and fired the primer, and it went bang, and lit the powder, it burned..... Good luck, have fun, and be careful !!!!!
    Can we get the story behind that one?

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy

Can we get the story behind that one?
    Which part? Why he had lube on his finger? No thanks.

Top Bottom