• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    I keep first aid kits our both of our family cars, one in our camping/SHTF gear and one for the house. These kits are used frequently for minor cuts/scrapes & head/stomach aches, but are also intended to be equiped with support for more serious situations.

A couple of weeks ago, my wife mentioned that it is suggested that you check the batteries in your smoke detectors twice a year and that a good time to do this is when the time shifts for DLST. We decided that this would also be a good time to refresh our first aid kits.

So.... my question is, does anybody have a good first aid kit supply list that they use? We looked at several before modifying/consolidating several different ones we found. Now we have a list of what we put in last year to refresh with this year. In my effort at constant improvement, I'd appreciate any input. (NOTE: It is my goal to take a first aid training class this quarter as well.)

Security122

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2010
    Southside of Indy
    I think it's a good idea to have an EMS Jump Kit in case the SHTF. It has a lot of tools and one use items in it for serious injury/trama. Of course it will cost a lot more than your typical first aid kit. You could make your own. Click here for a link to lists of recommened items. I used to have a fully stocked jump kit, but gave to a niece when she became a firefighter.

EDIT: If the jump kit idea is too much, Sam's has some large first aid kits priced pretty reasonably (I didn't say Walmart... oops, I just did).

Last edited:

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Full Kit
    General First Aid Information
    1-Emergency Blanket
    1-Stethoscope (optional. it's only in my pack because i had one lying around the house.)
    1-Instant Cold Pack
    Cotton Balls
    Q-Tips
    5-Pair Latex Gloves
    Small Band-Aids
    Medium Band-Aids
    Large Band-Aids
    Various Antibiotic Ointments
    Cleansing/Alcohol Wipes
    Gauze
    5-Popsicle Sticks (finger splints)
    2-Emt Shears
    1-16oz. Bottle Hydrogen Peroxide
    Safety Pins
    1-Magnifying Glass (seeing splinters, stings, etc,)
    Hand Sanitizer
    Butterfly Closures
    Sterile/Gauze Pads
    Blistex Ointment (can never have too much chapstick)
    Various Medications/Creams (pain relief, burn treatment, anti-itch cream, etc.)
    Athletic Tape
    Wound Closure Kit (bought at Cabelas as an addition) (small and fits in full kit)
    1-Irrigation Syringe
    1-Povidone Iodine Solution
    2-Tincture of Benzoin
    6-antiseptic Towelettes
    2x2 Sterile Dressings
    Antibiotic Ointment
    10-1/4”x4” Wound Closure Strips
    Pocket Medic (also bought at Cabelas)(small and fits in full kit)
    Butterfly Closures
    Adhesive Bandages
    2x2 Sterile Dressings
    1-Sting Relief Pad
    1-Double Antibiotic Ointment
    2-Antiseptic Towelettes
    Moleskin
    4-Ibuprofin
    2-Safety Pins
    1-Forceps (described for tick removal, splinters, etc.)

Now keep in mind I am not done with this kit. I assimbled this from a few smaller first aid kits and extra supplies at my house. I am adding more things to treat more serious injuries such as SAM splints, surgical bandages (military field type), QuikClot, a bite/sting kit, and other things like that. I have an odd facination with first aid items so i started building this kit with the idea of treating a huge variety of injuries from mostly harmless to much more serious. this kit is pretty big and i am mounting it on my SHTF/camping bag. the stuff i listed i feel is a little more exstensive than a basic kit. its pretty easy to find a nice bag and just combine different first aid kits into it to make one that you like. and also since i am mounting this on the outside of my Molle backpack i ziplocked everything incase of rain or moisture.

Last edited:

Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    I appreciate the lists. The one thing I think most people miss in their BOB (Bug Out Bag) are vitamins.

Hi dose A, C, B especially 6 & 12, D, & E can keep you going of you need to move fast and continually before you can slow down and eat something.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    I appreciate the lists. The one thing I think most people miss in their BOB (Bug Out Bag) are vitamins.

Hi dose A, C, B especially 6 & 12, D, & E can keep you going of you need to move fast and continually before you can slow down and eat something.

wow. well there yah go. excellent suggestion. ive thought about multi vitamins but never high dose. again excellent suggestion. adding to my list..:rockwoot:

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield

LOL We call that expensive urine. Vits are a good idea, but not the end all to nutriun for SHTF. The only reason we have vits now is because our diets are so poor and people require a supplement to meet the "daily requirements". If you prepared for SHTF with any kind of gardening knowledge you could resolve a bunch expensive pill quite easily.

For the OP

I teach about a dozen classes every year for INGO members from violent trauma to first aid and CPR. I have also sold many Trauma Bags through the classes and group buys.

for more info...

Redneckmedic's Trauma Class #3 2010

HTH, RNM

Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    LOL We call that expensive urine. Vits are a good idea, but not the end all to nutriun for SHTF. The only reason we have vits now is because our diets are so poor and people require a supplement to meet the "daily requirements". If you prepared for SHTF with any kind of gardening knowledge you could resolve a bunch expensive pill quite easily.

For the OP

I teach about a dozen classes every year for INGO members from violent trauma to first aid and CPR. I have also sold many Trauma Bags through the classes and group buys.

for more info...

Redneckmedic's Trauma Class #3 2010

HTH, RNM
    I agree and this is not for long term, but if you think about Katrina many could not and would not stop for hours. Hi dose vitamins can keep you from crashing until you get set up and slow down.

I also meant to say liquid hi dose vitamins or at the most gel caps so you get fast absorbency into your system. I don't waste my money on caplets or tablets as the body cannot digest them.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland

true also. but as bondhead said my interest with vitamins is more on the energy side. vitamin c is never a bad idea though especially since winter is coming. seasonal colds are on there way.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    true also. but as bondhead said my interest with vitamins is more on the energy side. vitamin c is never a bad idea though especially since winter is coming. seasonal colds are on there way.

Agree 100%, but instead of making your digestive enzymes work OT, try eating foods that are high in Vit C, fruits and veggies are always a better alternative to popping a pill or what have you.

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    EDIT: If the jump kit idea is too much, Sam's has some large first aid kits priced pretty reasonably (I didn't say Walmart... oops, I just did).

I picked up the "OUTDOORS" first aid kit at Sam's for $20. My wife being a Paramedic has a much nicer kit in her truck. Little closer to the $600 range with everything in her kit.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Agree 100%, but instead of making your digestive enzymes work OT, try eating foods that are high in Vit C, fruits and veggies are always a better alternative to popping a pill or what have you.

i also agree with that 100% but this is a bug out bag, or as the OP said first aid kit so there is and importance of being lightweight. pill bottles or little liquid shots will save tones of weight. and if this is just a 72 hour kit then these supplements wont throw you off too much if any in that time period. vitamins will fit in a first aid kit, but in most cases food will not.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    Ahh all you health junkies are all the same, Eat fruit! Humbug, give me chemicals any day...lol

Beware of what you do take for vitamins, you don't want lots of everything and most multivitamins are pretty high doses. I've had a B12 based energy drink: XS, and I wouldn't want to be on that while stressed. Another member mentioned, throw a few 5 Hour Energy's in your BOB and I think that is the best route, but I would advise if you've never had one to try it in advance just so you know if it is right for you. If you want to do the vitamin energy thing then buy single vitamins or maybe there is some specific "energy blend" you could buy.

Just a warning to not pop some multivitamins like a mad man in case you ever need to, and remember this thread.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Beware of what you do take for vitamins, you don't want lots of everything and most multivitamins are pretty high doses. I've had a B12 based energy drink: XS, and I wouldn't want to be on that while stressed. Another member mentioned, throw a few 5 Hour Energy's in your BOB and I think that is the best route, but I would advise if you've never had one to try it in advance just so you know if it is right for you. If you want to do the vitamin energy thing then buy single vitamins or maybe there is some specific "energy blend" you could buy.

Just a warning to not pop some multivitamins like a mad man in case you ever need to, and remember this thread.

Heck with that...stacker 2's and monster drinks here!! Oh ya, never gonna sleep in SHTF:):

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    Here is a great Youtube Channel with a very comprehensive list of first aid items and how one might pack them. YouTube - nutnfancy's Channel

It is a multi part series here, and there is a level 1 kit he talks about that is about 30 min long. Has helped me out quite a bit. Enjoy

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    First aid kits are very important but the most important is to get the training to use them.
    With training and without your kit you can do something.
    Without training and with the best kit you can buy you cannot do anything.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Almost 50, come on man, you can do it, just one more worthless post!:rolleyes:

You only have a little over 6,000 but they let you in:): Sorry I could not resist.

Since you are in the medical treatment business can you give a list of what the 10 most important things would be in a kit for a car or bag? I am guessing a pack or random size band aids, gauze, tape, gloves, and ace bandage come to mind.

Top Bottom