• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    FYI in case you didn't realize you can use your HSA for many medical supplies. If buying anything on Amazon.com it will tell you if it's HSA qualified. Prime day is tomorrow and Wednesday so not sure if anything will be on sale. There is some decent stuff that can be had on Amazon for a good med kit.

Good tip! Thanks.

On the discussion about the tourniquet, why would one from Amazon not work? Do they snap if you try to tighten them? Do they not stay tight? I have zero experience with them, but I am curious.

And does anyone know if Stop The Bleed courses are being offered yet or where I could get some medical training to make it worthwhile to even have a IFAK?

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    I just purchased an enhanced trauma IFAK from North American rescue. Lead time from order to at my door was on the order of 9 days.

Purchasing from them I have little concern regarding counterfeit components.

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Good tip! Thanks.

On the discussion about the tourniquet, why would one from Amazon not work? Do they snap if you try to tighten them? Do they not stay tight? I have zero experience with them, but I am curious.

And does anyone know if Stop The Bleed courses are being offered yet or where I could get some medical training to make it worthwhile to even have a IFAK?

Here's a link to class search. https://cms.bleedingcontrol.org/Class/Search

Looks like one in Greenwood in a couple of days.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Good tip! Thanks.

In a word, yes. LOTS of cheap counterfeits from China of respected TQs. Reports of that exact thing happening, rendering them useless. Sorry, Its like a parachute; you want it to work every time. I dont want to bleed out because somebody wanted to save $15. No time for cheap :poop: that may not work. No cheap parachutes, seat belts, condoms, brakes, or medical supplies for me. It may SAY its a North American Rescue CAT, but there is no way to guarantee the source. NAR even has a part of their site dedicated to sniffing out counterfeits it is so bad.

And thats the thing. the cheapos are typically less than $20 cheaper. Is somebody's life not worth $40? If you are THAT cheap, or need to carry a lot in a small package, Get a TK-4. It was a good enough combat TQ back in the day for the Marines (?) I talked to a trainer at the last NRA meeting for his take on them. He said they were effective as-is, but could be modified slightly for cheap to make them less prone to slipping. I think it involved one of the tube style Bic pens. Ive got a handful of those for smaller kits where I just dont have the room for a CAT.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    In a word, yes. LOTS of cheap counterfeits from China of respected TQs. Reports of that exact thing happening, rendering them useless. Sorry, Its like a parachute; you want it to work every time. I dont want to bleed out because somebody wanted to save $15. No time for cheap :poop: that may not work. No cheap parachutes, seat belts, condoms, brakes, or medical supplies for me. It may SAY its a North American Rescue CAT, but there is no way to guarantee the source. NAR even has a part of their site dedicated to sniffing out counterfeits it is so bad.

And thats the thing. the cheapos are typically less than $20 cheaper. Is somebody's life not worth $40? If you are THAT cheap, or need to carry a lot in a small package, Get a TK-4. It was a good enough combat TQ back in the day for the Marines (?) I talked to a trainer at the last NRA meeting for his take on them. He said they were effective as-is, but could be modified slightly for cheap to make them less prone to slipping. I think it involved one of the tube style Bic pens. Ive got a handful of those for smaller kits where I just dont have the room for a CAT.

Good to know, thanks. I'm going to wait until I get some training. I'll ask about where to buy when I take the class. I like the idea of asking a health pro. I know a nurse that works a flightline. She might be able to set me up.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Good to know, thanks. I'm going to wait until I get some training. I'll ask about where to buy when I take the class. I like the idea of asking a health pro. I know a nurse that works a flightline. She might be able to set me up.

When in doubt, suck it up and go direct. Just like if you want to guarantee you are getting true OEM auto parts you order from the dealer's parts counter. Not some rando on the interwebz who claims its OEM. I HIGHLY recommend Dark Angel Medical. His stuff is pricey if you want a kit, but solid. Reasonable pricing for just TQs though.

FN USA

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Sellersburg
    Know any firefighters, EMTs, or nurses? See if they can get you "expired" stuff. It might not be good enough for an ambulance or ER, but it will do good for your kit(s).

This is the best way to tactically aquire supplies. I have good friends that are EMTs/paramedics and they always have stuff that needs to be "trashed" aka, in my depository or medical and trauma kits.

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    ^^^THIS^^^ One of the things I miss from working in EMS, taking home the stuff that was going to be thrown out. Yes, My Med 1 and Med 2 gave me permission.

Seriously though, if you think about it, what expires in wound packing gauze, NP/OPs, needle, syringes, or tourniquets if the seal is still good. Keep them dry, out of high temps, direct sunlight, and they'll last well beyond the exp date.

Side note. Band-aids and medical tape have an exp date because of the adhesive. Medical tape I have seen go well beyond is EXP date but band-aids, not so much.

This is dead balls accurate. My supply list is fully stocked.!!

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    So, this thread got me thinking about my EMS/FD instructor buddy who is a burgeoning business owner selling tactical and medical gear.

Long story short: if we put together an eight hour medical course (lunch time included) that would include a BLS-level medical kit, would certify the student in basic first aid, CPR, AED and Stop The Bleed, and cost about $150, how many folks would be interested?

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    So, this thread got me thinking about my EMS/FD instructor buddy who is a burgeoning business owner selling tactical and medical gear.

Long story short: if we put together an eight hour medical course (lunch time included) that would include a BLS-level medical kit, would certify the student in basic first aid, CPR, AED and Stop The Bleed, and cost about $150, how many folks would be interested?

Are you talking about a TCCC class with CPR/AED? Or is this just a basic stop the bleeding course?

chevyguy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    jerrob; said:
    Anyone have a lead on where to pick up medical supplies?
    Would like to put a couple trauma kits together and upgrade/update my primary first aid kit.
    Looked online to pick up a couple pre made IFAKs, but lead times are a month or more.
    I would be happy to piece some stuff together if I can find a reliable source, be it online or brick and mortar.
    Thanks Ingo.

Go to Liberty Arms in Monticello, it's on a farm right off of SR39. They have complete kits or you can get individual pieces. Also ask for Phil, I think he’s the owner( he may be farming now) they offer basic IFAK training for $20/ person. My close friends and my wife and I did it, took an hour and a half and I feel confident enough to use said equipment.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

I don't know what a BLS-level med kit is so take the comments below with me not considering any goodies to take home.

Personally I wouldn't. I can get trained on AED at work and the Stop the Bleed course is no charge. So $150 would be too steep for me.

But don't go by me. I am a bargain shopper...or is it cheapskate?:)

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I don't know what a BLS-level med kit is so take the comments below with me not considering any goodies to take home.

Personally I wouldn't. I can get trained on AED at work and the Stop the Bleed course is no charge. So $150 would be too steep for me.

But don't go by me. I am a bargain shopper...or is it cheapskate?:)

He said it includes the kit. A quick google shows that is taking up most of the cost. So the actual instructor cost isnt that bad.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Are you talking about a TCCC class with CPR/AED? Or is this just a basic stop the bleeding course?

It would not be a TCCC-level course; I purport that it would be an introductory/basic medical course between having no/minimal first aid training at all, and EMR certification. The student would receive certifications from the American Safety & Health Institute and Stop The Bleed. I cannot compare it to anything in the healthcare provider (not EMS) matrix, due to lack of knowledge on the subject.

https://emergencycare.hsi.com/cpr-aed-and-first-aid-training
    https://www.stopthebleed.org/training

I can see this course being intended for new shooters and folks who may be in industries that don't have much (or any) industrial first aid training. We counted up the loaded kits that he has available and we could do a course with 15 students, each receiving a loaded kit: https://www.galls.com/dyna-med-mini-medic-level-2-first-responder-kit.

This is just kind of a feeler to see if there's any interest in a class at that level, and gauging price point considerations.

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    It would not be a TCCC-level course; I purport that it would be an introductory/basic medical course between having no/minimal first aid training at all, and EMR certification. The student would receive certifications from the American Safety & Health Institute and Stop The Bleed. I cannot compare it to anything in the healthcare provider (not EMS) matrix, due to lack of knowledge on the subject.

https://emergencycare.hsi.com/cpr-aed-and-first-aid-training
    https://www.stopthebleed.org/training

I can see this course being intended for new shooters and folks who may be in industries that don't have much (or any) industrial first aid training. We counted up the loaded kits that he has available and we could do a course with 15 students, each receiving a loaded kit: https://www.galls.com/dyna-med-mini-medic-level-2-first-responder-kit.

This is just kind of a feeler to see if there's any interest in a class at that level, and gauging price point considerations.

Well alright. Good follow up and clarification.

mike4

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Another unexpected update on experience with NAR (ordered several products this summer). Received certified mail indicating a recall of their 4" ETD dressings for potential sterility issues. Very impressed with detailed tracking and labels on products, down to the lot numbers for sealed kits that included the question lot number dressings within. Fortunately the sealed kit I intend to leave sealed for vehicle storage did not include the affected dressing, as it was not clear if they replace the entire kit or want you to break it open. Nothing came of it with no emergency usage of items, but less impressed that it took 6+ weeks to deliver that written notice dated September 1, 2020 when they already had my email to supply an immediate notice. They requested an email or fax reply within 10 days, and further unimpressed they have not executed on the email return receipt request which I rarely use but seemed appropriate for a recall notice where they were requesting you return a signed form.

Nothing egregious, but yet another business that scores well under 100% "user experience" by failing to round out their apparent diligence on quality control and tracking with timely and effective communication. Materials said they will replace and have you return defective items, so we'll see how the whole process goes.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I honestly source as much as I can from Walmart... tends to be the lowest cost.
    Anything I can’t find there, the next stop is amazon. Some of these sites seem wildly overpriced for these “kits”
    Ultimately you should evaluate things as followers:
    Keep plenty of what you’ll need on a frequent cadence, such as ibuprofen, tylenol, bandaids, alcohol, etc...
    Then consider what you’d need in a more severe injury...such as surgical dressing, sterile gauze, tape, wrap, tourniquet, perhaps surgical sewing equipment, you decide.
    I’ve found these kits include a lot of useless filler garbage to justify the price.

I tend to agree...purchasing individual items at Walmart can save a lot of $$!
    For around the house, we skip the fancy backpack and just use a plastic tote!
    I've found that, after 24 years as a volunteer EMT, how you pack a kit matters too!
    Trauma and blood stopper stuff up-front or on-top...
    Finer use items, such as steri-strips or sutures can be zip-locked and placed aside in a kit!

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    NEVER EVER EVER EVER Buy a TQ on Amazon, ebay, etc. TONS of knockoffs out there... With reports of said units failing catastrophically in the field. Such failures as the windlass snapping in half as you tighten it. (which means its useless and your patient is just gonna bleed out... hopefully you are not self-treating. :nailbite: )

So always buy TQs (and other critical gear) from reputable sites like NAR, Dark Angel Medical, etc. is your life not worth the $10 more to guarantee its a legit TQ? Pads, creams, ointments, etc? knock yourself out at those cheaper sites. The risk is much lower.

Those $5 tourniquets (get a blue one) are good for practice/training though.

Since I don't live in the US I can't directly buy from the manufacturer in many cases so it's harder to make sure you get the real deal.
    I believe since those items have a NATO stock number (same for compressed gauze) they're considered military supply and they can't ship them overseas? :dunno:
    The CAT tourniquets I buy have to be shipped from the US to Israel before they ship them to me.
    That's an almost 8,000 miles journey!

mike4

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Correcting the record: NAR did make timely communication of the recall via email on Aug 27 and Sep 1, discovered it got lost in the spam filter.

After email submission of their completed recall forms on Oct 21, received email acknowledgements Nov 2 with replacements shipped Nov 3 and received in good order. Calling it a wash now on communications, since I impeded initial comm via spam filtering.

No return label or instructions included; so will either destroy or mark the recalled items "NOT STERILE" if I hear nothing more after 30 days.

Top Bottom