• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Ok so I guess my question is..other than a basic individual first aid kit, what kind of stuff should be kept in a tactical trauma kit? With so many available is it best to buy a pre made kit or assemble one yourself??

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I can dig building a kit based on what an individual is trained for, but am realistic that even though I have some very basic life saving training it has been some time ago. So what are others badic must haves in their kit?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I can dig building a kit based on what an individual is trained for, but am realistic that even though I have some very basic life saving training it has been some time ago. So what are others badic must haves in their kit?

I'm with Shibum, who as I recall from another thread trains medics. (correct me if Im wrong) I had no idea what I needed until I took a class from another INGOer. Now that Ive been trained a little more, I know what I need based on my abilities.

Here is where he is coming from: You add the following: Two rolls of gauze, cloth tape, a tourniquet, an ace bandage, and a speculum and carry them inside a ziplock bag. How many first aid tools do you have, and how do you use each of them? Right now you will probably get an incorrect answer. After the training you will understand what you need.

The key is the training; it is pointless to carry around a tool if you dont know (or remember) how to use it.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.

My answer will **** you off but...

What's the point of having stuff if you are not trained to use it?

There are a few good classes that are held that deal in combat care, once you take one of those classes you will know how to use the equipment and what is needed.

Just so I am not being a jerk here is a list of mist haves.

Tourniquet, quick clot, pressure dressing, scissors. A knife is a given.

Here is a link to another post just a couple down that dedeals with the same question, for reference as to what I carry do realize I have been to several classes as well as TECC and I am also a EMT so you can see just what I carry on my person not to mention a full load out kit in a back pack. My ankle kit is for me or a very close loved one, ANYONE else is going to wait till I can get my kit out of my backpack.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/accessories-gear/415650-first-aid-edc-2.html

Last edited:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    You are definitely going to want to have training without a doubt on how to actually handle a significant trauma event, but there is no harm in having some basic first aid kits already on hand before that. There are some things that you more than likely already know how to use and wouldn't need to be trained. Keep in mind most of the uses of a first aid kit are for very minor things...cuts and scrapes, bee stings, minor burns, etc. I can't tell you how many times its come in really handy with my kids to have band-aids and disinfecting wipes close at hand in the car or truck. Heck, we've all been that guy at the range that accidentally staples the target to his finger rather than to the cardboard target stand!

I really like this kit, and have several of them in vehicles, hunting bags, etc. I'm not going to be doing any major first responder type of work with them, but would be able to hopefully buy some time for a true first responder to do what they do if it is a serious situation. The other thing to keep in mind is that sometimes having the right stuff with you is beneficial for someone who is trained to use on you in an emergency. Now a trained first responder is definitely going to have his/her kit on them and ready to use, but I look at the kits as I do my daily carry gun...better to have and not need, than to need and not have.

5ive Star Gear First Aid Trauma Kit Nylon Bag MOLLE

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    What is best kept in a trauma kit is what you are trained to use. If you get training then the question answers itself.

People don't like that answer when they just want gear, but it's the best advice available.

Once you know what you need to do, the basic gear you need will be obvious.

It's not like you need to spend four years in med school and more in residency. A one day class with someone like Doc Gunn will answer many, many questions and put you on the right path.

romad7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    You don't necessarily need to know how to use all the pieces in your kit, if you come across a scene and there is a trained person there who doesn't have anything with them then they can use your kit. If you know absolutely nothing but have a good kit then you can still help by providing life saving supplies.

I was a kid with my step dad who is an ER nurse when a motorcycle crashed ahead of us and my step dad ran to the scene. The guy died and I don't know what my step dad could have done but I do remember that he didn't have anything with him. So, if someone had handed him a fully stocked trauma kit then he would have at least had the tools to help.

Do, however, research the pieces that you don't know about so you at least know what it is and any possible dangers to using it wrong.

Get the most that you can afford and that makes sense and get training.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I took a trauma class last year and received a trauma kit "free". That kit was invaluable because I was at least acquainted with how to use the stuff.

I will echo those who say take a training class adding look for one who "gives" you a kit at the end. That gave me a good start already.

indyff

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    I would go this FATPack 5x8 Foliage Green it is the best for the money and has everything you need for a GSW. It is also the cheapest that I have found for the quality of gear and contents. I would advice you to put some kind of patch indicating that it is a medical kit so people know.

Glocktard

Marksman
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Feb 19, 2016
    Central
    I have only taken a TCCC class so I'm no expert but i think a TQ, a blood clouting agent, gloves, chest seal a sharpie. I like Dark Angel medicals kits.

Top Bottom